So Sandbox MMO's Just dont work im sure

So i played Xsyon a long time ago i love the idea of sand box games and it was fun for a while Then you just hit a limit and it becomes boring.

Mortal online a big sandbox mmo better graphics than xsyon was quite popular in its beta and people found it super fun then it launched and got less and less people and started becoming boring for everyone and thats 3 years later.

I play Mount and Blade Warband on the roleplaying server so its in a sandbox world You make money by taking jobs such as becoming a farmer you chop wheat by going to a wheat field and attacking with a sickle. There are lots of jobs since you roleplay then theres a storyline someone writes and events every week and then just roleplaying everyday. And i really enjoy this however it averages 30 people on the server good times 50-80 people and when its packed its super fun because bandits rob farmers and miners and knights and nobles and guards have to send them to prison or kill them its funny. Also something to note i see people join this server and quit the same day because its difficult to start out and boring then.

Then we have xsyon if xsyon had 100s of thousands of people playing it would probably be the most entertaining game ever because you would make relationships with everyone around you and things would happen. But because its so small and becomes so boring people quit within a week to a month and then the game doesnt grow to what it could be and it gets stuck in a cycle of people who want it work and in the end because they listen to the tiny community it doesn't change you need to think about why people dont stay.

Things in the actual game like animals the weakest ones are really strong but you only listen to those that keep playing and there super strong.

Thats why i think one day you have to try the game fully free and see if it grows then change the billing style. Or you have to have some kind of structure I've said it a lot but the small amount of people say no that wouldn't do anything when it would. There needs to be a common place like straight in the middle of the map that is filled with life to just keep people talking role-playing having fun not just click button click button click button build walls build walls do nothing. If some kind of structure starts a sandbox mmo people will stay have fun and it can grow.

Just my thoughts because sandbox games are useless without people in them.

OR the people who do play sometimes and are bored everyone needs to come to each other so we can actually do things together all the time but no people want to stay on there own and its stupid. I'm not talking about every so often travelling to someone's place and having an event. If say 100 people play all those 100 should meet up start a new make friendships build a place together then you branch out with people you want to and then make allies and enemies and make things happen instead of being an hour walk away and barley seeing each other that's pointless in a sandbox game you may as well just play single player.
    Last edited by MGStewart; 10-16-2012 at 09:34 AM.

Sandboxes done properly can provide unlimited fun and ever-expanding goals that you can set for yourself. Poorly implemented or unfinished sandboxes get played-through just as quickly as theme-park games.

Free trials start tomorrow and kickstarter soon, I think both of these are going to be good for the game in bringing more players to it and revenue.

Thats why i think one day you have to try the game fully free and see if it grows then change the billing style. Or you have to have some kind of structure I've said it a lot but the small amount of people say no that wouldn't do anything when it would. There needs to be a common place like straight in the middle of the map that is filled with life to just keep people talking role-playing having fun not just click button click button click button build walls build walls do nothing. If some kind of structure starts a sandbox mmo people will stay have fun and it can grow.
    I think free trials pretty much does that. I don't agree that you should do free trials on the main server with all the benefits as the current way of resetting the trial server every week allows people to partake and decide to buy the game to play on main with all the benefits and no weekly reset. Giving free trials without some limit would just mean no revenue and a game that has to shut down because of lack of funds.

I'm curious as to when you last played the game?

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Free trials start tomorrow and kickstarter soon, I think both of these are going to be good for the game in bringing more players to it and revenue.

I think free trials pretty much does that. I don't agree that you should do free trials on the main server with all the benefits as the current way of resetting the trial server every week allows people to partake and decide to buy the game to play on main with all the benefits and no weekly reset. Giving free trials without some limit would just mean no revenue and a game that has to shut down because of lack of funds.

I'm curious as to when you last played the game?

Last played few months ago. IN MrDDT camp. I still dont think free trial going to change anything because theres still going to be no communication just grind i hope im wrong but well see

Ah ok. Well global chat is pretty busy and has been for a while now it seems, every time I'm online there is a lot of talking going on in global. There is still a community aspect for those that live close to each other but I can't speak for that part of the map at IS.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    Ah ok. Well global chat is pretty busy and has been for a while now it seems, every time I'm online there is a lot of talking going on in global. There is still a community aspect for those that live close to each other but I can't speak for that part of the map at IS.
    Global chat is not communicating with people in game thats just while doing something your asking people stuff. And if it is busy then should be popular but i m guessing your just being defensive which wont help the game.

A lot of people communicate via whispers and tribe. I'm not being defensive but just telling you what is going on since you haven't played in a while, is that considered defensive?

You haven't played in months but all of sudden feel compelled to come post about a game you don't even play months after quitting. You tell me I'm being defensive when I asked you how long has it been since you played as I was trying to ascertain when you were actually here and playing to gauge your original post and follow up posts. I'm trying to tell you what is going on in game since you don't play and haven't in months, I'm not on the attack but just updating you on what is current in game. There is more so a community aspect than months before but I don't think anything I say further in this post is what is conducive to what you made this topic for as I don't think you have good intentions for this topic. I think you just wanted to bash a game you eventually became bored with but others haven't and many new players might not see the same view point that you have. The game is what you make of it and with the continued updates and patches it's shaping up nicely for my game play style and I'm happy, but that is my opinion as a current, long standing player.

Quote Originally Posted by MGStewart View Post
    Global chat is not communicating with people in game thats just while doing something your asking people stuff. And if it is busy then should be popular but i m guessing your just being defensive which wont help the game.
    Um by definition global chat is communicating. If you are referring to player interaction as in battles, trades etc yes that is still slow however I totally disagree with the free to play. Maybe sandbox mmos do not enjoy the amount of success as the cookie cutter games like WOW but that is also what sets them apart. I don't eat at McDonald's because I prefer to eat real food. I pay more for it but I (personal choice) believe it's worth the extra. However McDonald's is one of the most successful franchises in history and millions of people eat there. So by that example should we all eat at Micky D's because it's cheap and everyone else eats there? No thanks, I won't step foot in that place. I'll stick with real food and sandbox MMOs like Xsyon because I think they're worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowhawk View Post
    Um by definition global chat is communicating. If you are referring to player interaction as in battles, trades etc yes that is still slow however I totally disagree with the free to play. Maybe sandbox mmos do not enjoy the amount of success as the cookie cutter games like WOW but that is also what sets them apart. I don't eat at McDonald's because I prefer to eat real food. I pay more for it but I (personal choice) believe it's worth the extra. However McDonald's is one of the most successful franchises in history and millions of people eat there. So by that example should we all eat at Micky D's because it's cheap and everyone else eats there? No thanks, I won't step foot in that place. I'll stick with real food and sandbox MMOs like Xsyon because I think they're worth it.
    lol ok good luck with game i already know its going to fail now

/Thread CLOSED

Thread closed at request of OP.

~Guidehael