Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: AFK actions

The pixel detection feature is easily set up using auto-it the most common macro program being used.
    Captcha will only slow anyone down for 15-20 mnutes to figure out how to write the next skript to get around it.

Xsyon Citizen
    You can break a new CAPTCHA in 20 minutes?

The thing about AFK running in to rocks, and even AFK macro'ing MOST stuff..

... is it doesn't matter.

This isn't Darkfall. There are systems in place ALREADY to limit the viability, necessity, and usefulness of macro'ing.

In this game, you may reach 75 Fishing a week faster than someone who doesn't macro. This isn't going to be game breaking, in fact it probably won't win you a fight.

Eventually you stop getting XP for skills after you've done them too much.

My point is just... yes, it's less than ideal that people macro. However, it's not game breaking. In a week or two any hardcore player will be caught up to any macro'er, and probably have less stat loss to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cod3r_ View Post
    no dude.. the horrible grind killed darkfall.. and the fact that you need every single skill maxed out to compete.. which is a balance issue.. People just macroed to keep up..
    Agreed.

For the first few weeks of Darkfall most of my clan spent all of their in-game time actually out playing and PvPing, and would set macroes just when they went to sleep or work. Gankers would come by in the middle of the night and explore all the nooks of our city to gank the AFKers, sometimes defended by Euros who were still up. Nice little balance.

...Then people started coming out of the woodwork from other clans who had spent every minute of active playing, as well as AFK, macroing. They were doing 2-3x as much damage blow-for-blow as we were, and with no skill cap in sight, even people from my clan slowly started spending their at-keyboard time macroing just to try and catch up. It was pathetic.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot View Post
    My point is just... yes, it's less than ideal that people macro. However, it's not game breaking. In a week or two any hardcore player will be caught up to any macro'er, and probably have less stat loss to show for it.
    Exactly. Skill caps are good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Zenmaster13 View Post
    No game requires you to macro. If it did, it would advertise it. "You need macros to play this game it's Macro Online". If a game is so boring to you, that you feel you must macro, then you really need to find a more exciting game, otherwise you are just a masochist.

I would like to hear your suggestion on how to balance a game against macroing.

Why people would pay a monthly sub to have macros running is beyond reasoning. It is just a gimme response from the instant gratification crowd.
    my suggestion would be don't make all things a terribly long skill up.. running for example.. say a guy runs day and night against a wall and he gets it to max in 1 week. People playing the game (as in running around normally) should be able to get there in just a few weeks.

So the guy who broke the rules only has an advantage for a very short time.

Some skills should go faster than others.. maybe top notch crafting should be slow but something as key as running and combat should be reatively fast so that people can play the game and enjoy themselves and get there in a resonable amount of time.. while the macroer only gains an advantage for a very short amount of time.. meanwhile risking his account..

it's all about risk vs reward.. don't make it worth the risk to macro..

Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one:

You see them running about 5-10 seconds after they have been by.

We were experiencing that last night. We had instant communication thanks to skype and there was a noticeable 5-10 lag between what someone told me they were doing, and what I saw on my screen.

This is no doubt due to the lag problems Jordi is working on rather than some conspiracy.

Next thing I know, you guys are going to start a post about how ancient aliens used to play xsyon and Jordi just stole their code.

oops duplicate like 5 min later

Morgan are you claiming that players don't / won't Macro ?

Lag is lag but the advantages gained by Marco'ing are something completely different and you would be in serious denial to claim won't happen in Xsyon.

MMO 101... No matter how little the power difference, how fast skill gains are while actively player, players will always want to gain an advantage against others and to find the fastest and easiest way to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutaq View Post
    Morgan as you claiming that players don't / won't Macro ?

Lag is lag but the advantages gained by Marco'ing are something completely different and you would be in serious denial to claim won't happen in Xsyon.

MMO 101... No matter how little the power difference, how fast skill gains are while actively player, players will always want to gain an advantage against others and to find the fastest and easiest way to get there.

congratulations, you were able to fabricate a statement, ask me if I made it, and then argue against it, you have now argued against your own made up microcosm, winning.

I said no such thing.

If you're looking for an implication I'll give you one:

"Out of all possible motivation/causality which could explain current on-screen observation, the plurality of the behavior can be explained by a far simpler solution than abusing game mechanics." -- Morgan

I agree with Jumpshot. It doesnt really matter...

But stat loss must be in. If the system is complex enough you have a penalty for straining yourself. Do too much of something without a break and suffer the consequences.

I mean, if we spent 18 hours running and if we werent much of a runner would we become a marthonist? No, we would probably strain a muscle and get a permanent injury.

The game has stat loss, and this can be explored more conviniently to stop this type of thing.

As for me honestly, I dont really care who's out there with caped skills. This is not a PvP game, it just has pvP. its not an exclusive activity and people may stay away from it if it gets too unbalanced.
    Contrary to some I actually have fun doing stuff. The action in itself is fun for me, not the end result.

I can asure you, if the only interest I had was having maximum skill and not the enjoyment of getting there, I wouldnt play this game.