Page 25 of 57 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    April 15 2011 12:20 PM PST

The main server will be turned off at 1:00 PM PST temporarily so that we can focus on the test server build. The main server may be down for a few hours, but all players will be able to log on the test server. we really need to try to crash the test server build so that we can resolve the crashes that have happened on the main server.

Thank you all for your help and patience while we track down the crashes!

April 15 2011 2:30 PM PST

The main server is back up. If you would like to help us continue to test on the test server, please do so. Both servers will be accessible.

We reverted to the old animal AI on the main server and added some error checking. We will continue to focus on the source of these recent crashes.

Thank you very much to all that have been helping us on the test server!

April 15 2011 9:45 PM PST

Hello everyone! The good news is that I've pinpointed the exact problem causing the server crashes with the current build. The problem originates when a player disconnects in the middle of crossing zones. We will figure out exactly why this is a problem and fix it as soon as possible. At the moment I'm waiting on the other programmers.

We'll work on this all night, as usual.

April 16 2011 2:30 AM PST

Hello everyone! The server is up with an update. This should fix the server crashes that we had the past few days. We'll be monitoring closely as usual for problems. Hopefully this build is now stable and we can move on to more interesting tasks.

With this update, we've turned the new animal AI back on and reverted all other server optimizations

April 23 2011

Hello everyone!

I haven't posted much on these forums for a while as I've been extremely busy behind the scenes. A lot is going so it's about time to catch everyone up.

First of all I'd like to introduce two new members of the development team, 'Dezgard' and 'Danathur'. You have probably already seen them either on the forums, in IRC, or in game.

Dezgard runs our new test team and Danathur joins us a game designer and programmer. Both will be interacting with the community to solicit feedback on current, planned and desired features and game balance.

I'm also glad to introduce two new programmers, 'Sergant' and 'Alexx', who have joined the team this past month. They both have jumped in head first, quickly getting acquainted with code and optimizing the server and the client. Now that they are settled in Sergant will be focusing on creatures, combat and client optimizations, while Alexx will prepare our server clusterfor future expansion.

We’ve also added a few terrain artists to the team and we have new areas to the east and northwest which are almost ready to be cleared of the green mist.

Our Guides will continue to run events in game to provide some daily excitement and activity.

I will be in Russia for the first half of May, meeting the new team members and making preparations for the future!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here are our development plans from now through mid summer.

Overall plan:

We are going to evolve Xsyon to include farming, contested expansion totems and revamped combat. The goal is to provide more daily activities to tend to and something to fight over. While we progress towards this goal we will wrap up many things that are almost ready and continue to balance and improve current features based on feedback.

Immediate goals:

We are currently finishing up a revised patcher that uses compressed files and we are preparing the server for a tree planting and agriculture system. Once these are ready, we will be able to patch out smaller features and improvements on a more regular basis.

Our new creature growth and breeding system is complete and being tested along with further improvements to creature AI.

As we progress towards our overall goal we will wrap up many things that have been sitting almost finished for a while. This includes:

- Object decay and tool tips turned back on.
    - All wild creatures in game.
    - Animal growth and breeding.
    - Female only armor sets.
    - Full themed architecture sets, including floors, roofs and stairs for multiple story construction.
    - Functioning gates.
    - Cooking system.
    - Quest system improvements
    - Death penalties added.
    - Town improvements, including currency, town friends and foes, and binding to friendly totems.
    - Crafting improvements including material bonuses, repair and dismantling.
    - Fire building improvements including fire fueling and tending.
    - Undead creatures.
    - Improved guide commands for running special events.

All of these will be introduced while we work towards adding agriculture, expansion totems and a completely revamped combat system.

Over the past six weeks we’ve been dealing with one emergency after another and have made vast improvements to the server to handleour player base and optimized the client to improve frame rates.

I know our efforts don’t make much of a public impact, but they were necessary and will prepare us for the future.

Once we finish the launcher improvements we are ready to roll out regular updates focused on improved and new features.

I thank you all for your patience with the rough launch. I’ve been taking in all of your suggestions from emails and from forum reports gathered and sent to me. Please feel free to approach Dezgard and Danathur with your suggestions and general feedback.

Enjoy!

April 27 2011

A quick update today to let you know what we are working on.

Currently we are wrapping up improvements to the launcher and patching system. We are testing this heavily as we are trying to eliminate all problems that players have experienced with patching files in the past. The improved system uses file compression that reduces the total download by half. The new launcher will allow players to select from the main build or a test build, which will enable us to let players jump in on the test server and check out features in progress before they are patched out to the main server.

We need to finish this new launcher before moving forward as our next patch will include a lot of data in anticipation of features that we will be adding over the next month. As soon as it's ready it will be made available for download.

Danathur and Dezgard will become increasingly involved here on the forums so that I can concentrate on managing our expanded team and working on the code. In particular, Danathur will be soliciting feedback and posting in regards to upcoming features and the overall direction of Xsyon. I will continue to post general updates at least weekly as time permits.

Enjoy!

April 27 2011

I would like to add that once the updated launcher / patcher is ready we will patch out our current build. This build focuses on improved creature AI including creature breeding, hibernating and hiding. The patch will be accompanied by a large spawn of creatures which will then multiply. In addition as we are revising the stored tree data in preparation for tree planting and agriculture, we may respawn all trees.

April 29 2011

Hello everyone!
    First of all we are in the final testing phase of our launcher improvements. I will post later today to announce the next update. The new launcher will require a full download, however the download is now less than half of what it previously was.

The following is a response to another thread but I am copying this here to keep all of you informed.

I apologize for the rough launch. We do our best to resolve issues as they arise and I'm proud of what we've accomplished in the past 6 weeks. A lot of gameplay improvements had to be placed on hold as we worked through bigger problems with lag, slow frame rate, loading times, crashes and exploits. I realize that these fixes and optimizations don't give you players the satisfaction that new and improved features will, but they were critical issues that needed to be dealt with so that we can move forward.

Regarding game features: some were temporarily disabled to help us focus on fixing problems, some are being completely revised thanks to our new programmers and some will be replaced or modified to accommodate our plans to add farming, expansions and conflict into the game. That is the nature of the Prelude and Xsyon in general. We will do better to adjust the feature list to the current state of the game, what is changing and what is evolving.

One thing that I want to make clear about the Prelude is that this is a period for evolving the game. Things will constantly change. Our goal is to provide the right tools and systems so that players can make things happen. The Prelude is intended as a process between players and developers. With the coming launcher update, players will be able to join us on the test server to check out our changes in progress.

In this past month we've doubled the size of the team, but we are still very small. Our new members are just settling into their roles and there is intentional overlap between development and community management. Many changes to the website systems, communication plans and the structure of the team are in progress. At the same time, I have had to focus on our improved launcher, getting the new programmers acquainted with the code and preparing to spend the next few weeks in Russia where I will be meeting the new developers and setting up shop in the near future.

Danathur and Dezgard were chosen for their experience and vision. I am confident they will do well in providing much needed interaction with the community.

Let us know what is bothering you in a constructive manner and we can respond better to what is critical for both the game and the community. We all want the same thing here, so I appreciate all of your feedback and assistance in letting things happen and making things happen! Let's all make Xsyon a great game and community!

April 29 2011

Hello Xsyon citizens!

The launcher and a the next client and server update are ready, however we're going to continue testing throughout the weekend and hold off on patching this out until I've arrived in Moscow. I leave early Monday morning and I don't want any last minute emergencies with this build to happen as I'm preparing for this trip or while I'm in the air.

Wednesday will be our regular day for patches unless we have additional critical patches that need to be made.

I will work with Dezgard tomorrow on a system for keeping the launcher window up to date with critical information and hopefully we will have that ready before my departure.

April 30 2011

Hello Xsyon citizens!

We've updated the launcher panel. The panel now shows:

- Current Server Status
    - Link to display the latest updates posted here
    - Link to the forums
    - Link to IRC chat
    - Maintenance schedule

We will continue to improve this, but this should give players easier access to information without having to check here.

Enjoy!