Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    I agree with Cracky69, that's why I didn't release this map myself, as it was too early for the game sake of exploration, but I'm concerned about a worst case scenario now, as I said in IRC to Shinsei.

Sparrow and any other mapper wannabe. Could you please respect the fog myst and not release all the 1600 zones actually directly readable from the zone.xsip file.

Thanks a lot, for the game and it's players. I won't release it myself, but I guess it's just a matter of time, like always, for a player greedy for "celebrity" to ruin the whole game exploration part.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    I agree with Cracky69, that's why I didn't release this map myself, as it was too early for the game sake of exploration, but I'm concerned about a worst case scenario now, as I said in IRC to Shinsei.

Sparrow and any other mapper wannabe. Could you please respect the fog myst and not release all the 1600 zones actually directly readable from the zone.xsip file.

Thanks a lot, for the game and it's players. I won't release it myself, but I guess it's just a matter of time, like always, for a player greedy for "celebrity" to ruin the whole game exploration part.

Quote Originally Posted by dxwarlock View Post
    800x? so your making a 8,000,000 x 8,000,000 pixel map? (map is currently 10k x 10k)
    we will be able to zoom in and see individial grains of sand on the shore, at a detail level of each the size of a golf ball?
    Lets see... 8.000.000^2/10.000^2...nope.. not 800.

4. 03-31-2011, 07:51 PM

Now that I'm finished with the full world map, how would the community feel about it's release? It does contain massive spoilers, keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by NexAnima View Post
    Now that I'm finished with the full world map, how would the community feel about it's release? It does contain massive spoilers, keep that in mind.
    Ask the devs :P.

Maps are going to be put out anyway, so as long as the devs ok it, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by vorg View Post
    Maps are going to be put out anyway, so as long as the devs ok it, go for it.
    Yea, I had sent in a ticket but no response yet.

Edit: File requested for evaluation by devs, awaiting sanction.

Quote Originally Posted by NexAnima View Post
    I don't care anymore.

I've left the game because of all these maps - there is simply no point playing as a scout anymore.

It's true that players aren't explicitly forced to use this map... but I think it's also true that once it's out there, it may leave those who don't want to use it at a bit of a disadvantage. When a map shows the location of various commodities, the player choosing to explore the world on foot is at a disadvantage. While it may take him a few days of exploring (having to avoid dangers along the way) to find a particular resource, another player using such a map can just run to the precise location within an hour of mists being lifted. Or a player who had found a nice, quiet, secluded spot may now be dealing with urban sprawl...

On the other hand, say Sparrow had developed a detailed map and chosen not to share it. Sparrow would now have this advantage all to herself, which would be ok I think since resource management and acquisition is part of this game. BUT, Sparrow chose to share this development openly and freely with the whole community. I don't think I would personally have had the technical ability to develop this map, nor should I be taking the time away from work to learn how to do so. By other players releasing these maps, I'm given the choice of whether I want to use it or not, understanding the risks of not using it if I prefer a bit of discovery and surprise. That may well wind up being the road I choose to travel, haven't given my own personal choice that much thought yet as I've been plenty busy with other projects in-game.

I'm sure Sparrow is not the only person able to develop these types of maps, and I think I'd rather have it fairly available to the community as a whole than having a single tribe develop it and keep it behind closed doors for their own advantage.

If developing such a map requires reverse-engineering of proprietary game files resulting in violation of the TOS... well, that's just above my pay-grade and for folks at Notorious Games to handle. I do think, however, that the intent was one of fair-play, not one of gaining personal advantage at the cost of other people's enjoyment.
    Mens Rea should always be taken into consideration by those in position to judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracky69 View Post
    I don't care anymore.

I've left the game because of all these maps - there is simply no point playing as a scout anymore.
    Yeah there is. Just not as a "Terrain" scout. Not to mention their are more areas coming out then what they have currently mapped... I think (seeing the post in the dev zone). To quit the game because of this seems weird, especially from someone around since 2010.