Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Please at least add a default 'say' chat that is for people that you can see around you. Would be nice to communicate with people around you without having to /w them - would help with realism a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarin View Post
    Please at least add a default 'say' chat that is for people that you can see around you. Would be nice to communicate with people around you without having to /w them - would help with realism a lot too.
    GREAT idea

Keep local as it is, name it 'Regional'.

/whisper 10m radius
    /say 25m radius
    /shout 75m radius

(arbitrary numbers; don't really know distances in game too well).

Really easy to quick-code proximity in; rather than having dynamic channels (until code for that can be made), use speech bubbles (no need for scrolling chat) a la SWG. There's plenty of code for graphics appearing at certain distances, and it should not be difficult to implement this.

Xsyon Citizen
    I'd be happy with the ability to reliably reply to whispers without having to type "/w playername" on every line.

Or the ability to scroll through previous chat lines. Or any one of a number of basic interface features which this game, unsurprisingly, lacks.

The other problem with the channel being based on proximity is that you get a lot of conversations where you hear/see one side of it because one part in that conversation is within your zone, but the other is not.
    If the proximity zone was much smaller this would of course be less of a problem.

love hate

Signed.

While I do love the 'intel' gained through general chat, I also hate it.

Yes. And remake chat UI - it very bad.
    Hope work is going about changing.

I think local at the least should cover the largest tribal area. I think there needs to be a separate channel for zone and one like the current 'local' for trading. As well as keeping tribe and adding an alliance chat to talk between friendly tribes/homesteads. Then the ability to turn channels on/off, plus tabbed chat. I know some of that would go against realism/immersion but /w doesn't always cut it.

Edit: hmmm...it appears I said part of this before. Oh well... =P

Just as long as we don't get chat bubbles...

I know there are a few people who support these being added and this has been suggested at least once in this thread and a few more times elsewhere. But really, the only true benefit is in the radius at which they are visible which would likely be the same as the radius based chat modification. This would add the hassle for the need to be looking in the direction of the speaker which, unless you read lips as your primary form of communication, would only change the break in "realism" so many are seeming to ask for.

Reduce the perception radius, add channels, but please do NOT add chat bubbles.. there is enough on my screen to watch for with out chat bubbles blocking my view (and which HAS been exploited in other games that used them and had PVP)

There is already tribe chat in game. Zone chat can easily be done the same because we just join zone channels as we enter the zone. Local chat would be nice but it's not as easy to do. Current chat system is basically regional and not much different than global honestly.

Definitely need to add chat channels to the interface - to start with just give us 4 tabs - Regional (shows all), Zone (shows Zone, Tribe and Whisper), Tribe (shows Tribe and Whisper), and Whisper - let the whisper default to last person whispered unless you override it.

Most IMPORTANTLY either allow us to change the opacity or change it for everyone. I thought Red on White snow was bad, new level of agony achieved with White on White.