Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiny People

Re:Tiny People

Thanks for bringing this thread to my attention, Deacon.

I'm the only one with answers to things like this and I don't get a chance to read all the threads, especially during busy times (all time these days )

Right now there are no differences based on player height. We will work on some adjustments soon so that height affects attack range, carrying capacity and a few other things.

I will read through this thread and take some notes as I'm sure there have been some interesting suggestions.

Edited: After a quick read, looks like the suggestions are things I already planned: attack range, jump height, carrying capacity and movment adjustments.

Thanks!

no, thank you B)

/thread

Xsyon Citizen

So Tiny people will have only negative differences? How about some pluses?) Like dodge, hiding, silence, etc...

There will be pluses for [strike]midgets[/strike] little people, such as being harder to target (they already are).

I'm keeping notes on other future benefits / drawbacks that will be based on height and weight.

Midgets should eat less then some huge guy since they are smaller.

Some people are talking of realistic style game play like having no position coordinates and no compass, so I'll add my opinion on realistic size advantages and disadvantages.

Tiny toons already have two built in advantages...they're harder to hit because of hitbox, and their size allows them to stand/hide behind smaller rocks and trees without detection. That should be all they get in advantages.

I've never had any difference in ability to hit anyone IRL depending on their size. But I guess the game requires smaller hitboxes for smaller toons.

The ability to hide is dependant on blending into surrounding, as well as lack of movement....thats why snipers wear guilly suits and move extremely slow towards their objective, then remain still once in position.

Smaller toons should get less max strength, as less mass=less bulk. This would allow them to put extra stat points in agility if wanted, but no game given advantage to agility should be given.

A smaller toon would be able to hit less hard than a large, and when recieving a hit from larger toon, the smaller would have less mass to absorb the hit. This would be mimiced in game with difference in strength stats.

Agility should be reduced actually for smaller toons, if weilding a weapon, as the weapons are large and would be more cumbersome for smaller toons.

Reach of course would be reduced for smaller toons. That is why larger boxers are favored when considering reach advantages.

No run speed advantage should be given, as they have to actually run twice as hard as a big toon to reach same destination because of a shorter stide length.

There was a reason the Philistines sent out Goliath...the largest and most feared of their army. David beat him in spite of being smaller, not because of it...and a projectile, not size gave the win.

There is a reason taller people win marathons and excell in track and field, as opposed to shorter.

There is a reason smaller people are ususally the sidekick, not the hero.

I've never known anyone who wishes they were smaller as opposed to being taller.

So...in closing, I dont understand why people want to create smaller toons, unless they want to mimic their real life self, or just like the advantages other games gave to small toons in combat and hope to have that here.

ALL the stats will have benefits to certain skills when raised, and of course lessen advantages if lowered....with limited points for stats....maybe that should be ultimate decider in most abilities.

If you dont agree with these thoughts on size vs abilities, please say so, but please, give a reason why.

Deacon wrote:
    Some people are talking of realistic style game play like having no position coordinates and no compass, so I'll add my opinion on realistic size advantages and disadvantages.

Tiny toons already have two built in advantages...they're harder to hit because of hitbox, and their size allows them to stand/hide behind smaller rocks and trees without detection. That should be all they get in advantages.

I've never had any difference in ability to hit anyone IRL depending on their size. But I guess the game requires smaller hitboxes for smaller toons.

The ability to hide is dependant on blending into surrounding, as well as lack of movement....thats why snipers wear guilly suits and move extremely slow towards their objective, then remain still once in position.

Smaller toons should get less max strength, as less mass=less bulk. This would allow them to put extra stat points in agility if wanted, but no game given advantage to agility should be given.

A smaller toon would be able to hit less hard than a large, and when recieving a hit from larger toon, the smaller would have less mass to absorb the hit. This would be mimiced in game with difference in strength stats.

Agility should be reduced actually for smaller toons, if weilding a weapon, as the weapons are large and would be more cumbersome for smaller toons.

Reach of course would be reduced for smaller toons. That is why larger boxers are favored when considering reach advantages.

No run speed advantage should be given, as they have to actually run twice as hard as a big toon to reach same destination because of a shorter stide length.

There was a reason the Philistines sent out Goliath...the largest and most feared of their army. David beat him in spite of being smaller, not because of it...and a projectile, not size gave the win.

There is a reason taller people win marathons and excell in track and field, as opposed to shorter.

There is a reason smaller people are ususally the sidekick, not the hero.

I've never known anyone who wishes they were smaller as opposed to being taller.

So...in closing, I dont understand why people want to create smaller toons, unless they want to mimic their real life self, or just like the advantages other games gave to small toons in combat and hope to have that here.

ALL the stats will have benefits to certain skills when raised, and of course lessen advantages if lowered....with limited points for stats....maybe that should be ultimate decider in most abilities.

If you dont agree with these thoughts on size vs abilities, please say so, but please, give a reason why.

Deacon, you seem to miss the point of the david and goliath story...

Goliath Understimated the smaller David because he considered him no threat so lacking the negative mental buff that cannot be forced onto a real player, games give shorter characters a small bonus to dodge to simulate the Underestimation that should be happening.

and have you really been out beating up children and midgets?

I took care of children when I was younger and I can tell you they are wirey little things that slip out of your grasp quite easily...

restraining a child is a different thing, unless you plan on harming the child you have to be a little more gentle or you can break their bones... (IE shorter you are the easier you are to hurt badly)

just something for you to consider....

blakebinkley wrote:

Deacon, you seem to miss the point of the david and goliath story...

Goliath Understimated the smaller David because he considered him no threat so lacking the negative mental buff that cannot be forced onto a real player, games give shorter characters a small bonus to dodge to simulate the Underestimation that should be happening.
    No..the point of the David vs goliath story is "God" gave the small guy the power to overcome a seemed unsurrmountable obstacle
    EDIT: but I guess the "lesson" is objective.

and have you really been out beating up children and midgets?

I took care of children when I was younger and I can tell you they are wirey little things that slip out of your grasp quite easily...

restraining a child is a different thing, unless you plan on harming the child you have to be a little more gentle or you can break their bones... (IE shorter you are the easier you are to hurt badly)

just something for you to consider....
    B)

No...dont be silly B) I've fought against smaller and larger men than myself, and usually had a much harder time with the larger..and the idea wasnt to "restrain" them, it was to hurt/kill them, just like in game right? We're not PvPing to control a daycare.

Dont get me wrong, there have been smaller guys who were tenacious and tough...but they were the exception, not the rule.

Bumping this thread because I couldn't find any other that cleared up my questions/suggestions.
    If there is one, please link. thx.

My concern:
    ATM we don't know exactly what consequenses there will be.
    Once we know about the benefits and drawbacks we already created our toon.

What if we are not satisfied with the decission, because we have a "minority"-opinion about the changes.
    Do we really have to re-roll, because we choosed a size, that we don't know the consequences of?????

My suggestion: Take you time with working out the benefits, but let people change their size after that.

Agreed. Allow for no stat loss rerolls if you're going to flip the mechanic on us after the fact.