Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Some critics

Well yeah it is true, there was allready in the beginnin time little wars around tree stumps and cutted down trees. Like DDT sayed it, wood is at the moment vital for the production process of a tribe. You can at least use clay walls or metal sheet walls for a defense perimenter, but many tools, weapons and buildings need wood in one or another way.

Didnt know that tree growth was shut off at the moment? I must have miss that post. But in this case, i had a very strange experience last day. I was travel 2 sectors away to finish a trade. Nothing special. But when i came back i found our fortress form the distance overgrowth with trees. At least it was what the system showed my from a bigger distance.

As soon i was closer to the Fortress, i saw the tree´s simply...dissepearing in thin air. Little bit strange indeed. But well we live in a strange world.

I personally look forward for zombies/undeads. At least a real thread that will (i hope!) move around the lands and bring havoc. Well at least i hope so ^^. If not well at least we got some nasty Zombies at some places. Some events around this zombies would be also cool *get big shiny eye´s!*

I agree that there should be ASAP the Tree problem fixed. And i agree we should work together to kill people who´s only intention is to bring chaos to this fragile world! :P

I'm glad they're going to fix it. There's a reason why Eve resets asteroid belts during server downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Mactavendish View Post
    as a matter of fact, one of the posters in this thread was clearcutting on the pretence of leveling his logging.

Yes the game allows for evil players, yes everyone can be very self centered and show no concern for other players as if it is their sole game and all made for them alone.

But it is another aspect of how such mechanics can drive away players. With no trees to work with I personally know of players that quit the game for that reason alone.

We need a way to replant asap

Virtus saying that somebody didn't conserve is somewhat offensive as the mechanics not only allow for clear cutting, but even seem to encourage it.

i'm curious which someone he was referring to?
    I agree with you here, these actions by players will happen and it should be limited by better systems in game, plus better punishments by players.
    Right now even if an evil player were to do this, the players cant stop them well. Killing players is only a loss of a little bit of loot. Which that player can just get another axe (or maybe they have a preorder one and cant even lose it) respawn at their totem, and keep cutting trees again with almost no loss of items or time.

Trees should yield a LOT more resources, also they should take a LOT longer to cut down (like 10x longer).

Mac, Im sure you are talking about me, but I left all the resources on the ground. Those trees have not gone to waste. Once decay is in, then their might be a problem.One of the major problems here is that the ONLY way to level your logging skill is to cut down 1000s of trees. Im at 99 skill now. I dont even know how many trees it took but it was a LOT. Whole zones were cleared.

I wasn't talking to anyone in particular as it wasn't 1 person's in particular fault

Going by the game time-line, not a lot of time has passed since the collapse. So, there should be standing buildings, not junk piles.

However, since there are junk piles there should be a mass of trees; the area should be heavily forested. In fact you should have to chop down trees just to place a totem off of a road.

Hopefully when the tree's finally get respawned they come back into the game with a passion. At the same time I also hope decay is not turned on until several weeks after the return of the trees to allow time for usage of the resources.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Mac, Im sure you are talking about me, but I left all the resources on the ground. Those trees have not gone to waste. Once decay is in, then their might be a problem.One of the major problems here is that the ONLY way to level your logging skill is to cut down 1000s of trees. Im at 99 skill now. I dont even know how many trees it took but it was a LOT. Whole zones were cleared.

I can vouch for this as I have spent the last 2 days leveling my woodcrafting. I was 13 when I left my tribeland in search of trees to level on. Didn't find any. However I am up to 67 woodcrafting now all of it on short logs that say MrDDT on them. Thanks for leaving the logs and not destroying them, they have been yummy. :-)

Trees should yield a LOT more resources, also they should take a LOT longer to cut down (like 10x longer).
    Yes. Absolutely. I sometimes get the feeling that Xsyon is some sort of social experiment - a lesson in conservation and ecological management. Nothing wrong with that - IF I hadn't paid and been unaware of that intent.

ALL crafting/gathering (except drinking water) should take much longer. People think decay will 'fix' overabundance, but with the trivial time required to build/craft items, the decay rate would have to be ridiculous to keep up.
    WHY do that? Does that sound like FUN to you? It doesn't to me. I am saying that these insane grind rates are not right for a game.

For logging? Reduce the amount of trees needed for a skill up, but limit the character to one point a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferigad View Post
    I personally look forward for zombies/undeads. At least a real thread that will (i hope!) move around the lands and bring havoc.
    Me too, as long as they don't chop down trees...!

Quote Originally Posted by Azhul_NS View Post
    For logging? Reduce the amount of trees needed for a skill up, but limit the character to one point a day.
    This would remove some incentive to clear-cut. If I understand the mechanics correctly, folks who went around clearing entire zones of trees do now have the advantage being able to log higher quality wood.

Pretty strong incentive to clear-cut.

On the other hand, maybe planting trees will give us farming experience (who knows) at which point it would compensate for all the clear-cutting. Would be fun to see posts saying "what's with all the freakin' trees!"

I agree with you here, these actions by players will happen and it should be limited by better systems in game, plus better punishments by players.
    Right now even if an evil player were to do this, the players cant stop them well. Killing players is only a loss of a little bit of loot. Which that player can just get another axe (or maybe they have a preorder one and cant even lose it) respawn at their totem, and keep cutting trees again with almost no loss of items or time.

I noticed you were into paving junk piles now. Which skill is it your are trying to lvl up? Terraforming?

China