View Poll Results: What should Xsyon do with basketry?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remove it

21 11.23%
  • Redefine it

47 25.13%
  • Leave it alone

119 63.64%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Remove Basketry

Updated post with thread. Options are...

Remove it, as in, remove every aspect of it from the game.

Redefine it, as in, rename the ability or merge it with other skills or have it become a secondary skill.

Leave it alone, as in, there is no problems with it what-so-ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimps View Post
    trenixdecease wrote:

dude.... How can you possibly have ANY views on the game at all if you've been registered for 10 days? Maybe actually play the game before you start crying about it.

also 130+ posts? damn...busy 10 days eh?

On topic though, Basketry is not useless, it's not the most useful at the oment but it will more than likely be fleshed out in the future.

Maybe you should concentrate on offering suggestions about actual gameplay and not about how a skill is useless because you don't like it.
    I disagree with the implication that you need to play the game for a long time to have valid opinions about it or to notice areas that could use improvement.

As to the topic in general, I don't think the problem here is with basketmaking so much as it is with all the other crafts. Basketmakers currently have a near monopoly on containers of all sorts. Unless part of the apocalypse ingrained every surviving human with a compulsion against storing items in containers made of anything other than woven grass, this needs to change. Whatever happened to boxes, barrels, crates, sacks, cabinets, and shelves? Leathercraft should be able to make bags and pouches. Woodcraft should be able to make all of the wooden types of storage I just listed, most of which can also be made from metal. Then there's "bins," a very wide term that has been applied to what could more specifically be called baskets. Bins could be wood or metal as well.

EDIT: And how about some love for ceramics? "Claycraft" (to avoid restricting it to pots by calling it pottery) would be an obvious choice for another craft to add to the game, and clay pots and jugs and urns have been one of the most common forms of receptacle throughout the history of mankind.

I just want to point out that just because you do not see items in the game,does not mean they wont be.Xsyon is a game that has some mystery to it too.Not all will be revealed,some things must be discovered Items will be added throughout the lifetime of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GuideZuriel View Post
    I just want to point out that just because you do not see items in the game,does not mean they wont be.Xsyon is a game that has some mystery to it too.Not all will be revealed,some things must be discovered Items will be added throughout the lifetime of the game.
    I've read this somewhere before... oh right, the Features list that noone ever seems to bother reading... except me, ofc.

basketry is fine, just add to it over time like everything. done and done

I Agreed with this

This seems to be waste of a skill. I think that it could be rolled into talioring and even maybe toolmart, or woodcraft. Replace baskety with forging a more useful craft.

I am aware that the items I mentioned are likely to be added to the game, although I can see how my post might have suggested otherwise. My point is that the "problem" with basketry is only a problem until a wider variety of containers are added to the game.

My problem is that basketry is designed only for dry containers. It's also not very common, I'm sure such a skill is more common in Asian cultures rather than American cultures. A better option would of been pottery. With it, you would be able to make both wet and dry containers. In addition, it can be used for food and water. I just think that it wasn't very well thought out, especially being one of the first crafts introduced into the game.

I really feel indifferent about this skill (so I'm not voting). I don't think anything is wrong with the skill. And don't think anything is wrong with the legitimacy of folks making weaved-grass baskets.

My only problem is their usefulness. To further define that. I think grass baskets are fine for storage. But I think that if one were to travel... leather backpacks would more useful and comfortable. And as Trenix mentioned... grass baskets can only be used for dry goods. When it comes to liquids... you would need leather wine-skins, pottery, or plastic containers.

It just seem more functional to have leather, clay, or plastic containers.

So I'm not saying do away with Basketry/Grass-weaving. I'm just suggesting to make more leather and plastic based recipes that deal with storing and carrying goods.

Also, pottery would be very useful. Both for storage and cooking.

I guess the sum of my argument is this. In less developed civilizations where plastic and leather goods are not available (or maybe even pottery skills).. then basketry/grass-weaving would be a very valuable and useful skill. But that's not the case with Xsyon. We are living in post-apocalyptic modern United States. There's plenty of junk piles for plastics. And plenty of wild game for leather goods. And if pottery is introduced (which I think it should be)... there would be very little need for grass-weaved containers.

Basketry doesnt seem to be too unpopular so why remove it?? Just becuase you persoanlly dont like it. According to this poll http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...ice-for-launch it is fairly popular and (at the time of writing this) more popular than weaponcraft and bonecraft. Should we remove those too?