Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Well, it does if you and Dubanka are the same person.

In any case, would you guys mind telling me again why you don't want your own pvp ruleset server to play on?

I must be a little slow, I never did really figure out why that wouldn't make you guys happy. Please, do explain it to me.

Xsyon Citizen
    Dubanka and I are not the same person. Even if we were, I'm not sure how that would affect the overall sensibility of your comments.

Regarding a PVP server, I"m not sure why this is relevant since it's not up to us whether there is one or not. Please don't blame us for the lack of a peace-only server.

But as for my own personal opinions on that subject, I wouldn't be interested in splitting up the player base if it means we end up with 2 nearly empty servers. I think you'll agree that even with no PVP at all, the game would be pointless without a large number of other players inhabiting the same world. That's what puts the "Massively" in "Massively Multiplayer", and that's a big part of what makes these games fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Redemp View Post
    I think you folks are letting VD troll you a bit to obviously, note the immediate spin to make it an argument that you just hate pvp and because you hate pvp you think they are nasty griefers. ( Yeah I'm paraphrasing, but you get the gist )

Classic PvP troll : 1. I want this in PvP 2. Refute rebuttals with some form of " You're a carebear " insult. 3. Claim that any arguements for the latter, or justifications for said arguments are spurned by a deep seeded prejudice against all who pvp.

4. Thread locked by a Moderator

Edit : 5. Call said Troll on being a troll, and then claim its because they too hate pvp.
    actually i don't think i've made any of your points.
    1. I haven't asked for anything. I've merely supported what the developers have already stated is coming, and further nodded in understanding about the current state of combat mechanics (fubar).
    2. I have not insulted anyone, despite insults being thrown in this direction.
    3. I have made a rational arguement for a style of playing being an integral and logical component of this game.
    4. not locked.
    5. has not come to pass.

and i'm sorry, but this is just pure comedy:
    If I had to choose between: -

A brutally open PvP system with people that abuse the system
    or
    An artificially restricted system with people that just want to have fun while PvP'ing

I will choose the later
    Uh, if i had to choose between:
    a) getting stabbed in the chest by a hairy fella with yellow teeth and really bad breath
    and
    b) sitting on the beach with a beautiful woman, while drinking a corona from a bottomless cooler of beer
    I would uhh.
    decisions.
    choose...uhh...b i think. yeah b.

How about choosign between:
    a) a complex economic, crafting and political game design that gives the player the ability directly impact the world, its players, and its economy.
    b) a complex economic and crafting model that gives players the ability to craft items and build cities.

and finally
    And it isn't a mindless gankfest. If that means you won't enjoy it then all I can say is, sorry you don't agree with the vision the game developers have.
    Where have i said anything about a gankfest? The gank crowd will be in and out in a week or two...there just isnt enough here to hold them, which is not a bad thing. Everything i have posted about has been relevant to purpose driven pvp. Protecting my territory and resources, pillaging yours. In the end its the resources that drive the pvp. More territory = more resources = better stuff. That's the game design. Now, as those resources deplete, you can hold hands and just be sad when you run out...or you can go grab someone elses. Or you can be proactive and grab someone elses before you run out. Again i realize that any type of non-consensual pvp will be viewed as 'ganking' and 'griefing'...but until they they take the sand out of the sandbox, it's in the game as a means exercise control over resources.

Quote Originally Posted by ifireallymust View Post
    Well, it does if you and Dubanka are the same person.

In any case, would you guys mind telling me again why you don't want your own pvp ruleset server to play on?

I must be a little slow, I never did really figure out why that wouldn't make you guys happy. Please, do explain it to me.
    I honestly don't care. Dev decision, not mine. obviously.
    It wouldtn seem too bright to split the pop...but seeing as the server dies when more than 10 folks are on it, it probably isn't a bad idea jsut from a functionality standpoint. But, again, honestly dont care.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    Who can think of more ways to hurt people without actually hurting them?
    I believe this phrasing is what got my panties in a wad more than anything specific you came up with. It seems less about denying an enemy tribe or player resources or initiating conflict that will create pvp for you later on than it seems to be about...welll, hurting people. Not literally, of course. But your wording makes it seem that your goal is to alter how the anonymous person controlling their character feels rather than to carry out an ingame goal.

I get that it's just pixels. Remember, I'm not going around complaining about getting killed when I'm out exploring the game world. It doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that I get the sense that you want it to bother me, or that you want to find something you can do taht will bother me, not me in particular, but me, a player in the same game you're playing.

Now tell me if I'm wrong.

What's that I hear? Is that....wait a minute, I think it is! It's a great pvper outcry for a chaos server! Yes, I'm sure that's what I'm hearing. It got so quiet in here for awhile, too. But now they're back, so please, give them what they want. Their own special server with their own special ruleset.

Oh, you guys don't want your own server? Whyever not? Is it perhaps because you would like to form up in packs of obnoxious little ethugs to find unwilling victims to play with? Would you also perhaps like to coerce other players into joining your ethug pack and participating in your idea of 'fun'? Would you like that?

Too bad. You can't have it both ways. If you want no restrictions at all, then go play with others who want the same, and leave the rest of us alone. You don't have the right to force your nasty zergs on everyone else. You don't have the power to force it on us, either.

And for whatever reason, you aren't playing any of the games that would allow you to do what you want, so you've come here. Fair enough, perhaps there are features here that you can't get anywhere else that you're interested in aside from the pvp. But some of us are interested in a certain feature Xsyon has that other games with a heavy pvp element don't. Which is a little break from pvp in one small area of the map. Just one. That's all.

And you can't stand it, can you? It drives you insane. It's not that safe zones drive you crazy, either, if it was just that, you'd be hollering for your seperate server to play on. No, it's all the happy players you can't grief in their one small area that makes you nutty with rage and gets the spittle bubbling at the corners of your mouths.

Actually, it's kinda entertaining to watch you foam. Carry on.
    Battered Carebear Syndrome?

I believe this phrasing is what got my panties in a wad more than anything specific you came up with. It seems less about denying an enemy tribe or player resources or initiating conflict that will create pvp for you later on than it seems to be about...welll, hurting people. Not literally, of course. But your wording makes it seem that your goal is to alter how the anonymous person controlling their character feels rather than to carry out an ingame goal.

I get that it's just pixels. Remember, I'm not going around complaining about getting killed when I'm out exploring the game world. It doesn't bother me. What bothers me is that I get the sense that you want it to bother me, or that you want to find something you can do taht will bother me, not me in particular, but me, a player in the same game you're playing.

What's wrong with mercantilism?

From reading this thread its obvious who grew up in UO and who grew up in WoW. Im sorry WoW guys, but if you didnt play UO back in pre 2k your dont have the faintest idea how a playerenforced, free, openended pvp system works. And you obviously fail hardcore at imagining it.

You dont need a ton of rules to prevent people from griefing eachother. With the right tools at their disposal the people will police themselfs. The problem remains though, that these kinda tools require possibilities for harsh penalties, wich instantly makes the nonhardcore players scream in fear.

Ever since the casual crowd who wont commit 20+ hours a week to a game startet playing this genre, it has all gone downhill. The casuals scream, the devs listen and restrict, then the casuals screams some more cause doh, their still getting owned by the hardcores, the devs restrict some more, and on and on and on. Untill we got the WoW themepark parade where everyone runs around in hes own little restrictet instanced bubble. WoW, WAR, AoC, Aion, Rift just off the top of my head.

The point of this post is, stop your fucking whining. If somebody is out there stealing all your resources, deal with it. Kill them, move away, steal it back, be creative, whatever it takes, adapt to the situation and come out on top. For once we have a game where the devs actually have some balls and tries to go with an open environment, if you dont like it, go back to a themepark, stop crying, and stop trying to ruin it for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    What's wrong with mercantilism?
    That's not mercantilism. That's griefing. And your sig is causing me to lose IQ points, yet I can't stop staring at it!

I think the difference between the OPs post and your viewpoint of it is mostly intent.

E.G. If we as a guild plant in a territory, want the territory to be ours, and want to kick other people out, the mechanics that will let us siege and remove/take over some one else's totem aren't currently in place. So we have to make use of the mechanics that are currently in game to achieve the same goal. There is a reason behind the attacks (in whatever form they come) to us, but the totems we target may just see it as you posted.

I'm not saying that it's horrible for a couple of determined people without a clear goal to play the game as they see fit though, even if that means being a jerk just to be a jerk. They're paying $15 a month the same as everyone else. But that's all the more reason to implement siege mechanics as quickly as possible. If you catch the people doing something on your land that you don't like, you pay a visit and evict them from theirs. Most people tend to act a lot more politely when what they do can end in a war.

Your right!

When I kill you I want it to bother you, I want you to get angry, I want you to feel the pain of wastet hours.

What else would the point be?

Explain the point of full loot? Explain the point of cityasset destruction?