Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    Buy it with resources, special items or whatever that is found in game. I believe Banden is talking about an upkeep fee, which has to be payed regularly, daily or weekly perhaps. I'm talking about a one-time purchase, like you put thousand (whatever item) into your totem and your land expands with say 20 meters radius. No regular upkeep which may become a chore, only a one-time payment. Once the land is yours you don't have to worry about it, it will be yours as long as you (or any of your tribemembers) are subscribed.

Problem I have is this. You will still have unused totems.

You can have a 200m totem radius with 1 active member. Not sure I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Problem I have is this. You will still have unused totems.

You can have a 200m totem radius with 1 active member. Not sure I like that.
    Not unused, just big areas for few or even 1 player. But that is available for everyone if they can/willing to pay the price. As long as we have enough space in game (new zones we are awaiting you!) I don't see a problem with that.

Shrinking a totem area when members leave the tribe or the game would cause HUGE problems. Already built buildings-walls, terraformed areas would fall outside of the smaller area, and that would hugely piss off the active tribemembers.

Which is why you need a totem upkeep. The rate of upkeep is determined by total members, active or inactive. This will encourage people to trim the fat and get rid of their in actives because it will actually BENEFIT them. The tribe will have to pull less of a load individually because they will have stopped having to pull the weight of the in actives.

I'd like to see a system where upkeep can actually grow the boundary. It doesn't matter how many people you have, if you can get x amount of upkeep by yourself in the same time that 5 people can, you should have the same size boundary as them.

If a tribe of 20 can put in more upkeep than a tribe of 100, then they should have more boundary space than the tribe of 100. However, the tribe of 20 would have to do 5x the upkeep of the tribe of 100 to get the equivalent size boundary.

Not unused, just big areas for few or even 1 player. But that is available for everyone if they can/willing to pay the price. As long as we have enough space in game (new zones we are awaiting you!) I don't see a problem with that.

Shrinking a totem area when members leave the tribe or the game would cause HUGE problems. Already built buildings-walls, terraformed areas would fall outside of the smaller area, and that would hugely piss off the active tribemembers.

So once a tribe pays the X amount for max totem size they can keep it forever no matter how many actives (as long as its at least 1 member)?

Well looks like tribes will control HUGE areas of land. 200m x however many they want to pay the first cost. You think you have a problem now finding a space? Unless you make the first cost something epic (which would take weeks for 80 member tribes to get) I dont see this happening.

Just doesnt sound like a good idea, and you will likely be right back at this spot you are upset about now. Only worse.

The cost should rise exponentially. First expansion (like 5 meters radius, just an example) is easy, but the 10th is something you call epic, which would definitely takes weeks or more for a big tribe to gather, and perhaps a year for a solo player. Again, we are talking about huge lands now, not the beginning ones. This way I doubt it would cause problems.

You could still have 10 "clans" holding 90m radius all over the place with very little costs.

Its a problem no matter how you cut it without having an upkeep. I really dont see around getting upkeep without contested totems, which I know people wont like either.

Plus you are talking about tribes waiting weeks just to get a totem, even with 80+ people? That's not a good idea either.

No. The basic land should be free (like a homestead area, and the first expansions should be very easy to get for an 80 members tribe. They wouldn't have to wait for weeks to get a totem, they would get it instantly. They would have to work for weeks or months if they wanted to expand their land into a really big one.

Holding the land wouldn't cost anything, but to get it would. The bigger the land the bigger the price. It shouldn't be easy.

Could keep it simple to start...

Subscription active?

You have to do maintenance on your property. Replace bricks as they break with age, maybe there's weeds growing through your stone floors, fresh coat of paint on wood structures before winter, get your firewood squared away, etc.
    Your totem, however, is okay. If you have real life interfering with your game life (how rude), you'll have your totem to come back to and your buildings may well be in disrepair. This naturally means your baskets inside those buildings could eventually be in peril as well. But Sub paid, land owned.

No active subscription?

You have decided you no longer wish to be a Citizen of this great land of Xsyon. No citizenship, no land ownership rights. Pre-determined amount of time that NG finds acceptable and buh bye totem. Citizenship has its perks.
    Amount of time as a ballpark range I'd have in mind... anywhere from 1 month (1 billing cycle) which in that context seems kind of short if you hope to see someone back ----- to maybe 3 months (1 in game year) which in that context seems like more than enough time to forfeit land ownership rights.

Just thoughts in progress here, don't no one go getting upset.

Can we agree that the goal of a new totem system should be, that the largest number of active players get to use the most land?

If they cant pay the upkeep then they clearly over extended themselves and they will have to either recruit or hire people to help or lose the territory. What the idea here is to have a system where activity = more land, because that way the largest number of people get to use the most land, thats the way it should be.

A one time fee for a totem would simply not work. I dont see how this will be any different than how it is at present actually, people can still throw down totems and go inactive regardless of whether there is a price or not. Like DDT says, eventually it becomes a land grab where everyone is grinding mats anyway to throw down totems before the others get it. What you would end up with is a situation where it is impossible to get any good land without having to attack someones territory, which is sort of difficult when you dont have any ground to start on.

Upkeep (and that is indeed what I am advocating) will not only ensure that we get rid of all the tribelands that arent actually supported by their tribe (because of all the inactive members). In the future it will ensure that old bloated tribes who arent that active anymore doesnt hog up the land and you can bitch and moan all you want about all your hard work, if people cant be bothered to maintain it, then they should lose it.

Can we agree that the goal of a new totem system should be, that the largest number of active players get to use the most land?
    Actually I don't agree with that. I don't think it should be based on numbers in any way. It should be based purely on effort and activity. Even a solo players should be able to get the most land even thought it would take 2 years for him. Still, the opportunity should be there. Dedication and effort should pay off, not numbers. That's only my opinion of course.

People can't just drop a totem and go inactive. If they don't pay the subscription fee their totem would decay fast. A subscribed player is not inactive imo...perhaps he can't play due to real life issues, but shows his dedication toward the game by paying the sub. That person should have his totem and area saved.

My main problem with an upkeep is that it can very easily become a daily chore and causes problems when someone can't play for 1-2 months but still pays the sub. A high upkeep is a nightmare and kills the fun of the game.