Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    First fast fixes we need for combat is abit slowdown and that unarmed combat is less effectiv. Also weapons stats must work and we need the bows/arrows that are already done so we have some form of ranged combat. Also i like that you can't switch weapons over the hotbar

Just joined this game and I have to give many many thumbs up for this!

MnB combat is supreme in the melee depth department.

Directional swings + stabs. Directional blocks. Chamber Parries, the occasional turtle stopping kick.. it certainly did melee correctly.

When I first found this game I thought how awesome it would be with MnB combat mechanics... This thread made me smile.

On a side note about cavalry.. wouldn't cavalry make sense to be powerful in this game?

I mean, you have to first be able to tame a horse..possibly some animal husbandry down the line.. and then after the horse is tame it would probably last for only one life. Unlike Darkfall where mounts were readily available and could be marketed around as little totems, and also unlike MnB where anyone could be a Cav player...seems like it would be HUGE Risk/Reward for Cavs in this game

The reason Mongols were so devastating with mounted archery is because it was new and innovative and not something the rest of the world had mastered.

My point is not every idiot can fire a bow off a mount... and love it or hate it, Darkfall had a good idea in not allowing ranged combat off of a mount. Combining Range + Speed is the opposite of Balance, and balance is what makes games fun.

I cant help wondering, why you would want to try and splice M&B type combat mechanics into an MMO that is not based around combat?

Quote Originally Posted by byrgar View Post
    I cant help wondering, why you would want to try and splice M&B type combat mechanics into an MMO that is not based around combat?
    Why not? The only thing that can't be spliced is pig and elephant DNA.

But kidding aside, the way Xsyon is being unfolded with episodic/evolutionary type expansions, there is no reason why later incarnations of the game couldn't have their focus skewed. Allowing combat to be a natural part of the world, or at least feel more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedouin View Post
    Why not? The only thing that can't be spliced is pig and elephant DNA.

But kidding aside, the way Xsyon is being unfolded with episodic/evolutionary type expansions, there is no reason why later incarnations of the game couldn't have their focus skewed. Allowing combat to be a natural part of the world, or at least feel more natural.
    And let's face it, the first thing most people are going to look at when browsing for new MMOs is the combat.

Another indy sandbox that everyone is aware of, Minecraft, didn't really kick off until Survival Mode when there was danger surviving that first night.

Quote Originally Posted by Saorlan View Post

A quick win (I hate that expression) might be to just slow the combat down at bit. Slow the movement down when you go into combat mode. That way it is not so much of a random click fest!

M&B isn't a random click fest and that is fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot View Post

My point is not every idiot can fire a bow off a mount... and love it or hate it, Darkfall had a good idea in not allowing ranged combat off of a mount. Combining Range + Speed is the opposite of Balance, and balance is what makes games fun.
    but in mount & blade you need to be skilled in horse archery to do it and even than it is far less accurate so your point is mute as it isn't overpowered.

As for the idea itself, if M&B mechanics can be introduced in a MMO with lag considerations being mute than I'm all for it

m&b is like slow motions...
    you need to have good reactions for blocks but there is nothing fast about mevement or combat

Quote Originally Posted by esudar View Post
    m&b is like slow motions...
    you need to have good reactions for blocks but there is nothing fast about mevement or combat
    For some, thats already enough

If the game devs can emulate the combat tactics of MnB in an MMO, I would be your best friend forever.

Right now the animation is way too fast, and in MnB the actions are not slow - well when you just pick up the weapon and start sure, but it doesn't take much to get up to speed where you must have 50 ping or less in order to even have a chance at parry/dodge/chamber (Crpg mod) - swinging faster seems somewhat unrealistic for both reality and Video Games. In Crpg (which basically MnB single player with stats/attributes/leveling/experience etc. in multiplayer setting) The fastest weapons held by high level players move at split second decision speeds - the only thing that gives you a slight edge is seeing them pull back for the attack and then guessing the timing of their attack. Literally milliseconds of hesitation will kill you.

And as far as Cavalry I don't understand why someone wouldn't want that in a game, in Darkfall my fondest moments were charging into battle with 40 man+ cav attacks. The game needs a balance of melee types, not just what happens to be your personal preference.