Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: AFK actions

Jumpshot is correct, that's for sure.

Let me elaborate on the subject a bit.

It was not in fact lag, I was playing at around 6AM when there was no lag. I was gathering and could see him for 15+ minutes running into the same rock while his clan mates ran around him and performed other tasks. I went into their camp to fraps what he was doing their leader killed me in an attempt to cover up what was going on. I was naked at the time so I didn't lose anything though and I still got the footage while in ghost mode.

Macroing is very damaging to the game. I could spend all night using a fishing macro and wake up with 30+ points to put into whatever skill I wanted. Or running into a rock to get my running skill up and reduce stam loss by a large amount.

A CAPTCHA system or any in game automated system wouldn't work. A dedicated macroer would be able to code around it. In Darkfall there were macros around that would even answer GM's when they PM'd you and would click out of any system boxes that appeared.

There needs to be a firm stance taken against it now or honestly I see no reason why we shouldn't just start posting macros to the forums so at least everyone has a fair chance at it.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrimps View Post
    A CAPTCHA system or any in game automated system wouldn't work. A dedicated macroer would be able to code around it. In Darkfall there were macros around that would even answer GM's when they PM'd you and would click out of any system boxes that appeared.
    You do realize that a decent CAPTCHA is going to be much harder to get around than a tell from a GM, right? Do you know what CAPTCHA stands for?

A couple other points:

(1) Do you have any evidence that this guy was macroing? Or even a good reason to think it was macroing instead of just AFK autorun?

(2) Have you considered that when you run into the middle of someone's camp uninvited, you might be killed for reasons other than what you seem to think is "covering up cheating"?

im autorunning into a wall during primetime cause its too laggy

Quote Originally Posted by cod3r_ View Post
    no dude.. the horrible grind killed darkfall.. and the fact that you need every single skill maxed out to compete.. which is a balance issue.. People just macroed to keep up..

as i said earlier.. if the game requires macros that is a fundamental flaw with the game. if a macroer can afk run against a wall and skill his run to max in a week but it takes a normal person playing the game 10 weeks.. that is a serious flaw.. that's what needs to be balanced.. can't just ban off everyone who macros if the game is such a boring grind that you gota macro..
    First sensible post in this thread. He's right.

If its a grind, it will be macroed, because not everyone is content playing casually. Many people in this game are competitive, and this is an edge.

The rest of you can troll yourselves all you want about how "macroing isn't needed, lets all just agree not to macro!" because you're afraid to be competitive or you just want everyone else to be as uncompetitive as you. That way, when you get rocked in a fight you can use the excuse "im not bad, they're macroer cheaters!"

Banning people for macroing is just banning competitive players for reacting competitively to a grindy aspect of the game.

Regardless, this is HARDLY the biggest issue in the game right now. If devs seriously waste their time hunting down macroers while they leave the game in the state it currently is in, then you can start to seriously be worried.

Macroing is very damaging to the game. I could spend all night using a fishing macro and wake up with 30+ points to put into whatever skill I wanted. Or running into a rock to get my running skill up and reduce stam loss by a large amount.
    Thats right, you could. And after you do this 2-3 times you won't gain anything from it. A week later you won't be ahead of anyone. Seems like Jordi already adressed your concerns to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelTEE3 View Post
    The rest of you can troll yourselves all you want about how "macroing isn't needed, lets all just agree not to macro!" because you're afraid to be competitive or you just want everyone else to be as uncompetitive as you. That way, when you get rocked in a fight you can use the excuse "im not bad, they're macroer cheaters!"

Banning people for macroing is just banning competitive players for reacting competitively to a grindy aspect of the game.

Regardless, this is HARDLY the biggest issue in the game right now. If devs seriously waste their time hunting down macroers while they leave the game in the state it currently is in, then you can start to seriously be worried.
    Basically this. Not saying there's a shortcoming in peopel that aren't competitve or don't want to macro, obviously, but I don't see the macro complaints as much more than pre-emptive excuse making.

I guess I just disagree that macros are game breaking.*

Quote Originally Posted by thosler3 View Post
    im autorunning into a wall during primetime cause its too laggy
    I hope you're periodically relogging, or otherwise you're the reason it's too laggy!

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelTEE3 View Post
    First sensible post in this thread. He's right.

If its a grind, it will be macroed, because not everyone is content playing casually. Many people in this game are competitive, and this is an edge.

I used to agree with you. Ok I'll stop lying. I've played games for countless hours a day and casually I've competed against many we all have. I have learned early on in gaming that the rabbit doesn't always beat the tortoise. As in playing the game your skills with said macroe'd content will usually be better than the macroer because you have spent more time using the skill instead of watching the bar move up. Although grind can always be an issue skill always beats stats when there is a stat cap.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot View Post
    Thats right, you could. And after you do this 2-3 times you won't gain anything from it. A week later you won't be ahead of anyone. Seems like Jordi already adressed your concerns to me.
    Yes you're right, except that I could macro fishing one night, macro running the next, macro hide walking the next, macro terraforming level terrain the next, macro scavenging the next, etc. etc.

By the end of it all I' will have enough points to get a huge lead on everyone.

Also to whoever said they need to fix the game before worrying about macroers. That's the exact stance DF took and the macroers killed the game for a long time. The devs were way too late in implementing solutions to stop macroing and it was too late, everyone was already built up.

the leveling thing doesnt give you taht much of advantage.

1:1 pt ration at 5-9
    2:1 pt ratio at 10 -19
    3:1 pt ratio at 20-29
    4:1 pt ratio at 30-39

I assume it keeps going but have not tried to use points above level 30 of a skill yet.

so while leveling gets you up the 20 pretty quickly, it's not a huge big deal.

and now, i don't macro, altho i have been known to run into a wall when you literally couldnt do anyting else.

also, running, jumping, i'd presume swiimming, don't make the xp bar move. so while you may be skilling up, your not actually getting the leveling points for it.

Xsyon Citizen

Also to whoever said they need to fix the game before worrying about macroers. That's the exact stance DF took and the macroers killed the game for a long time. The devs were way too late in implementing solutions to stop macroing and it was too late, everyone was already built up.
    Grind killed DF, bro. Macroing was a predictable consequence of that crapfest leveling system.