• safe place for you AND your belongings

30 46.88%
  • safe place only for your belongings

9 14.06%
  • no safe place, keep it a full sandbox

25 39.06%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ifireallymust View Post
    Yeah, cause nothing will keep me logging in to the game than coming back from a day of doing rl stuff only to find my walls destroyed, my totem down, and some giggling idiots ransacking my baskets, pausing only long enough to kill me and type, "LOL L2P noob!!!!!!!" before going back to destroying everything it took me months to build.
    That sounds exactly like Haven and Hearth, except it's 50 russians screaming in cryrillic.

Yeah, cause nothing will keep me logging in to the game than coming back from a day of doing rl stuff only to find my walls destroyed, my totem down, and some giggling idiots ransacking my baskets, pausing only long enough to kill me and type, "LOL L2P noob!!!!!!!" before going back to destroying everything it took me months to build.
    If you played other games with this type of system its not like you log off for the night and come back to see months of your work gone. Those games are long gone. Look at games like EVE, Darkfall and Wurm online. You cant just walk up to someones place and tear it down in a night.

It takes work, planning, politics and tactics to take these things down. I think in Xsyon to take a tribes work of 30 that worked on it for 1000s of man hours it it should take weeks of planning, and action by the attacking tribe to remove that town. I have a lot of idea on how to make that happen, but thats what I think about as a goal.

I see these posts like yours fire, and really you dont get it. You think the Devs are going to just allow this to happen? You log in and months of your tribes work is gone? Nawh. There will be protections, and systems in place to prevent this. Doesnt mean you cant lose it, just means you wont lose it overnight.

Thats my idea and I think with a system where it takes weeks for attackers to effectively take or tear down a tribes work that took months. I think then you will see most people will be happy with that type of system.

My vote is one NON capture able totem, that has no safety to it. Then expansion totems that can be captured

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    If you played other games with this type of system its not like you log off for the night and come back to see months of your work gone. Those games are long gone. Look at games like EVE, Darkfall and Wurm online. You cant just walk up to someones place and tear it down in a night.

It takes work, planning, politics and tactics to take these things down. I think in Xsyon to take a tribes work of 30 that worked on it for 1000s of man hours it it should take weeks of planning, and action by the attacking tribe to remove that town. I have a lot of idea on how to make that happen, but thats what I think about as a goal.

I see these posts like yours fire, and really you dont get it. You think the Devs are going to just allow this to happen? You log in and months of your tribes work is gone? Nawh. There will be protections, and systems in place to prevent this. Doesnt mean you cant lose it, just means you wont lose it overnight.

Thats my idea and I think with a system where it takes weeks for attackers to effectively take or tear down a tribes work that took months. I think then you will see most people will be happy with that type of system.
    I think they shouldn't be able to tear anything down unless they own the totem. By tear down I mean terraforming. Everything else can be destroyed by siege anyways. But I agree that destroying all the buildings and walls via siege should take weeks....at least for a tribe like ours with close to 1000 limestone walls.

But MrDDT you've heard my stance on this plenty times before. I just want to be able to keep my totem lands I've worked so hard on. It's the terraforming I'm worried about, not up keeping or repairing building/wall damages.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGooey View Post
    My vote is one NON capture able totem, that has no safety to it. Then expansion totems that can be captured

I think they shouldn't be able to tear anything down unless they own the totem. By tear down I mean terraforming. Everything else can be destroyed by siege anyways. But I agree that destroying all the buildings and walls via siege should take weeks....at least for a tribe like ours with close to 1000 limestone walls.

But MrDDT you've heard my stance on this plenty times before. I just want to be able to keep my totem lands I've worked so hard on. It's the terraforming I'm worried about, not up keeping or repairing building/wall damages.

I can understand this.

Just a little info on a system for this I think would work, is where you would have a little protection from the totem itself (call it spirit protection), this protection isnt free, you need to put resources into your totem to upkeep this spirit protection. (How much is up for balancing).
    But what this protection does, is allow your WHOLE area to be protected BUT still be attackable. What that means is, say you have to break through the protections before damaging or tearing up anything. Instead right now most systems for attack are what I call point attack systems. People will attack the weakest point. But also breaking the weakest points.

If you have your whole tribe encircled with walls, each all has a set amount of HP (I would guess) well you only need to take out 1 wall of HP before causing real damage to the players. With this spirit protection. It would force people not to just grief people but only attack tribe areas if they really want to siege else all the time is wasted.

Say the spirit protection is 10k HP per day. Walls would be about 1k per wall. Well they would effectively have to take out 11k of damage before even hurting you. This buffer would allow people time to react and ward off attackers for just trying to do random drive bys to harass / grief tribes.

Anyways those are a couple of thoughts of how a system could work to prevent people from just harassing people and griefing them.

Now if you cant handle things like that, I believe you should choose a safe tribe, in the safe areas. But I think most people understand that they want some level of protections from just these random griefers that will harass people and are afraid that all these 10000s of hours they put into something can be messed up in such a little amount of time.

I'm a solo player. If my fortifications can hold off a huge tribe for days or weeks, costing more effort and time than it's worth to wage war against me, then the zerg tribes will go cry on the forums about how unfair and unrealistic it is.

And just so you know, you have zero credibility with me because of your actions in game. You have bad intentions.

I'm a solo player. If my fortifications can hold off a huge tribe for days or weeks, costing more effort and time than it's worth to wage war against me, then the zerg tribes will go cry on the forums about how unfair and unrealistic it is.

And just so you know, you have zero credibility with me because of your actions in game. You have bad intentions.
    "Worth" is relative.
    Costing more time and effort than you put into making it isnt the only (and normally not) reason to remove/destroy someone. Its many other reasons. If you think that zerg guilds are going to cry on the forums because it takes effort to remove people and their hard work, I doubt you will see much of that.

Most people understand that it shouldnt be easy to destroy someone's hard work.

I dont know what you mean by "bad" intentions. But you have your opinions and views, and likely not going to be changed by whatever I say.

I think pre-trammel uo is a good model. ie. there are towns that players can safely be in to conduct business so long as they don't face a natural enemy (ie. a warred guild or faction), and the ability to ban other players from my own home but otherwise FFA.

I can understand this.

Just a little info on a system for this I think would work, is where you would have a little protection from the totem itself (call it spirit protection), this protection isnt free, you need to put resources into your totem to upkeep this spirit protection. (How much is up for balancing).
    But what this protection does, is allow your WHOLE area to be protected BUT still be attackable. What that means is, say you have to break through the protections before damaging or tearing up anything. Instead right now most systems for attack are what I call point attack systems. People will attack the weakest point. But also breaking the weakest points.

If you have your whole tribe encircled with walls, each all has a set amount of HP (I would guess) well you only need to take out 1 wall of HP before causing real damage to the players. With this spirit protection. It would force people not to just grief people but only attack tribe areas if they really want to siege else all the time is wasted.

Say the spirit protection is 10k HP per day. Walls would be about 1k per wall. Well they would effectively have to take out 11k of damage before even hurting you. This buffer would allow people time to react and ward off attackers for just trying to do random drive bys to harass / grief tribes.

Anyways those are a couple of thoughts of how a system could work to prevent people from just harassing people and griefing them.

Now if you cant handle things like that, I believe you should choose a safe tribe, in the safe areas. But I think most people understand that they want some level of protections from just these random griefers that will harass people and are afraid that all these 10000s of hours they put into something can be messed up in such a little amount of time.
    I like that idea. What's an extra 10k hp to a tribe of 100s of attackers? But to a few griefers it could mean the difference between stopping them from infiltrating your walls or not. But you have to remember, there are terraformed dirt walls. Even if they break through those, they cant get over the dirt wall if it is high enough (or if /unstuck is fixed). Therefore the only point of entry (for a tribe that has terraformed walls all around it) would be the gate area.

I can understand this.

I like that idea. What's an extra 10k hp to a tribe of 100s of attackers? But to a few griefers it could mean the difference between stopping them from infiltrating your walls or not. But you have to remember, there are terraformed dirt walls. Even if they break through those, they cant get over the dirt wall if it is high enough (or if /unstuck is fixed). Therefore the only point of entry (for a tribe that has terraformed walls all around it) would be the gate area.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGooey View Post
    Thats the idea, is to stop the random solo, or small group of greifers from attacking your town and causing damage for no reason. Only people really wanting to put effort into taking out your town will do it.

You talk about the terraformed walls etc. Great idea for defense, but there will be a way in, and likely will be a gate. If they didnt have this reverse mushroom effect of HP, they would take out a gate pretty fast. If they made gates have like 100x hp over all other stuff, then everyone would be FORCED to build walls in 1 special way. That's not good either.

I believe once archer, and ranged combat comes in, new tactics on building walls will be more effective than what you are saying here. At which time the system I said, would have even more of an effect.

All in all the overall point is the same.
    Random solo / small group raiders wouldnt want to attack a town. Only groups with tactics and planning will want to expend that type of effort.

3) I would much rather have all my stuff stolen and be killed everyday than know there is no risk in anything i do...expect maybe losing a few stats when I die. Defeats the whole dynamic of how the game works. If there is no risk whats the point? I personally don't see one. PvE isn't really huge in this game....with safe zones everyone can rome around and just craft. Crafting alone will get boring very fast without risk. This game will be so so so so so much more involved with open PvP. It will give crafters a reason to craft in the first place. I don't know how to explain it and maybe it is just me, but this game will be so boring with safe zones.