Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    With that I totally agree. Just not with things which would make it worse. But I hope they will find a proper solution.

I'm sorry Jadzia, but the way you want this game will surely kill. You know why there's only 6 people in your area? Becuase there is no point to anything. The game isn't balanced at all. What people like myself are suggesting are ways to balance the game and have it cater to many different playing styles.

I'll agree with you that having the entire game world conquerable would be a bad idea; but this game has NO CONTENT. Nothing to do that has any challenge.

Obviously, there needs to be mechanics put in place which will allow a well-organized defender to defend his totem against long odds. It should be difficult and expensive to conquer a totem, and cheap and fairly easy to defend. There needs to be anti-zerg mechanics in place which limit the advantage of numbers.

In Shadowbane (sorry to keep bringing it up) there was kind of a minimum number of folks needed to successfully defend and/or attack a city. Once you had about 20 folks, you could pretty much run the defense against just about twice your numbers fairly easily. Less than 20, and it could get a little dicey.

Without a solid group combat system in place, its hard to say how that might be accomplished.

Having surveyed the various defensive systems in place by folks, I can say that having walls and a gate system is going to protect most cities from attack. Right now there is no mechanic for breaching a gate or wall, but its pretty easy to put stuff in place and play with those stats to make it proper.

The timing of sieges is another issue which will need to be dealt with carefully. No one likes 4 AM sieges and ninja captures.

I am excited that this discussion can finally be had so that we can actually get some "Play" in this game.

Calhou we all agree with tribe warfare and conquerable land just not the original totem being conquerable. We need the ability to conquer and a fun PvP system or the rest was just for show.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGooey View Post
    Calhou we all agree with tribe warfare and conquerable land just not the original totem being conquerable. We need the ability to conquer and a fun PvP system or the rest was just for show.
    I don't think the original totem should be conquerable either. I also don't think a tribe should be allowed to place their original totem anywhere in the game world either. I would advocate a more Eve-like balance rather than a Darkfall balance. But I'm just surprised it hasn't occured to the developer that allowing people to place safezones wherever they want wouldn't have an abusable consequence. It baffels me.

Edit: What I mean by Eve-like balance is a progressive system of increased danger, increased rewards, increased ability of players to own territory, and decreased pvp penalties. Rather than Darkfall-like, which is homogenously dangerous but all resources can be found everywhere.

I still don't see much of a point to that though if the combat system (twitch and spam) isn't any fun.
    I'd settle for the current system to work. (sync/warp)

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    I'm sorry Jadzia, but the way you want this game will surely kill. You know why there's only 6 people in your area? Becuase there is no point to anything. The game isn't balanced at all. What people like myself are suggesting are ways to balance the game and have it cater to many different playing styles.

I'll agree with you that having the entire game world conquerable would be a bad idea; but this game has NO CONTENT. Nothing to do that has any challenge.
    Do you know how I'd like the game work ? Probably you don't Funny thing is that my ideal game is very close to yours. I prefer the Eve style system just like you, but less restrictions for the safe areas, more of a fair game for everyone. Add some rare resources to the PvP areas, rare recipes to be found only there, double the result of gathering there and there you go.

Do you know how I'd like the game work ? Probably you don't Funny thing is that my ideal game is very close to yours. I prefer the Eve style system just like you, but less restrictions for the safe areas, more of a fair game for everyone. Add some rare resources to the PvP areas, rare recipes to be found only there, double the result of gathering there and there you go.
    In which case I made a mistake in my interpretation of your posts.

I meant if the game was fully working everything implemented kick ass combat system...but everything capture able, there still wouldn't be a chance of anyone playing. Unless it was tribe of 500 players vs tribe of 500 players but in a system like that it's inevitable that mega tribes own the game but no one wants to be forced into a huge tribe or to go live on hermit hill...some people like the middle ground

Why play the SIMS? If i want to design a house I'll use CAD software.

And back to the totem thing, I shouldn't have to make this game my whole life just so I can keep my invested hours from going down the drain...(aka play round the clock and have a large tribe just to protect the totem from losing everyone in the tribes invested time)

that is turning the game from play to work

A tribe of 500 wouldnt pick on a homestead unless that homestead was in a vital location or had a rare resource. In which case they would have to move yes.
    It happens in other games I dont know why you think it wouldnt happen here.
    Darkfall, Wurm, EVE, Shadowbane.

If a small homestead is going to pick a spot that is highly contested, then they need to make friends, or play very well.
    I dont know why you think it would take a tribe of 500 to fend off an attacking tribe of 500. If it takes 10x longer take out a city than it does to build it why would you need to have even numbers?

No one said for you to make this your whole life. Where are you getting that from? If you have a tribe that vest time in the game then you wouldnt need to be on round the clock. You are not making much sense.

Absolutely agree. Force a wargame on people and you will get empty server. But Jordi already said he won't force us into it, so why these worries...
    Mind getting me that link? I cant seem to find it.

Last I checked they were removing safe areas after prelude. Has this changed?

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Last I checked they were removing safe areas after prelude. Has this changed?
    With the whole server thing at launch, words got a little jumbled. The post she's referring to is probably the one on the first page of this thread that she quoted.

The only way for that to work well to me is if there is an EvE-like system....I guess it's fine to call it that.

Xsyon is not a pure pvp game and is indeed trying to be attractive to both the avid pvper as well as the pure crafter and "carebear" types. I agree that Eve's system of "mostly" safe but limited zones progressing to no security highly valuable zones is probably the best way to work that.

There is a very important point most if not all of you seem to be missing.

There are over 1600 zones and we only have access to about 110 atm. If all the lands we can build in right now end up being the equivalent of Eve's high security "safe zones" that comes out to less then 7% of the total landmass. Even then all the land not totem protected is still FFA and full loot(btw pouches and bins need to not have magical locks on them). Catering to both the pvper and carebear is a very hard balancing act.

You people are not thinking long term. 7% safezone is NOTHING so long as the rest of the land ends up having resources and content not found in the safe areas and highly sought after.