89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Global Standard Currency?

30 33.71%
  • Item for Item Barter System?

46 51.69%
  • Don't care either way?

13 14.61%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    We need to give value for gold. There have to be a reason why players would wanna get more gold.
    Maybe u can make shiny things out of gold. Like statues, or something. And those statues would give some sort of benefits to the tribe.
    Maybe if the tribe got lots of statues, then they could age less, the statues would prevent from aging that fast. just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybalt View Post
    Those are very good ideas.

But... they are not really separate options.
    Minting is just the form of production of a Global/National Standard Currency.
    And a Currency Treaty would just be an agreement made by to bodies towards the value of their decided mutual currency.
    With the options you have suggested, I believe you would be more inclined towards a Global standard.
    no it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by joexxxz View Post
    We need to give value for gold. There have to be a reason why players would wanna get more gold.
    Maybe u can make shiny things out of gold. Like statues, or something. And those statues would give some sort of benefits to the tribe.
    Maybe if the tribe got lots of statues, then they could age less, the statues would prevent from aging that fast. just an idea.
    This wouldn't solve anything other than making gold as a currency worthless. Currency NEEDS to be circulated, not hoarded. If people used gold to make statues then kept the statues for use, which would be the only reason to make them in the first place, gold would be taken out of the system. Less gold would be required for transactions with a greater number of goods. The price of each piece of gold will skyrocket. The price of goods would plumment, then trade with gold becomes impractical since the people that kept the gold are now kings.

Lol this is whats happing now in the real world

This wouldn't solve anything other than making gold as a currency worthless. Currency NEEDS to be circulated, not hoarded
    Gold is not currency, its a method to support/backup currency.
    Thats why I said, the gold needs to be a fix amount in game.

Okay, but that wouldn't work for the same reason. Hypothetically more people are going to come into the game. At least, the developers would want this to happen so they can pay the bills and make profit.

Anyway, as more people come into the game, then the same amount of gold-backed currency would need to be circulated amongst all the players. This means that each individual piece of currency would have to buy more goods. Which in turn lowers the price of the goods and increases the price of each piece of gold-backed currency. People would hoard gold-backed currency, because over time, less and less gold-backed currency would get you more and more stuff. This means that less gold-backed currency would be in circulation, which will further enhance the effects, leading to more people hoarding gold-backed currency until no gold-backed currency is being circulated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflation

I posted a very decent solution to creating a stable economy on page 8. FFA-PVP would be a problem, but if the developers want to get a decent sized population into the game, then they will take a page out of Eve-Online's book and put in safe areas and relative safe areas so people can actually do some things, sometimes, without worrying about getting ganked all the time. It's not difficult to cater to bought audiences either. The hardcore people get their High Risk/High Reward areas and the not-so-harcore get their Low Risk/Low Reward areas and everyone lives and plays happily-ever-after; except for the massive wars over territory and player controlled areas. Then many people die and play happily-ever-after.

Quote Originally Posted by Xx1327 View Post
    no it isn't
    Umm... which isn't?

Minting is not making money?
    Currency Treaty means something entirely different?
    These do not pertain to a Currency system?
    Or those are not very good ideas?

Thinking outside the box

But of course I like the gold standard system, Thats why I said it. But there is more to this than me liking the Global Standard Currency.
    Let me quote something that Tybalt said:
    I have yet to see, let alone hear of a game that has used anything similar to the gold standard.
    I quote you, To make a point, And that point is we should not do the same old thing. Gold standard or not, Lets think outside the box. If any thing we say here has any influence for what may go in-game, Then I think we should think of new ways of doing this. The same old, same old has been done, And between all of us we have seen there pro's and con's. Let's try and come up with something that not only works for most people, But has staying power over the years.

Ok here is an example:
    Let say total gold in game is 1000 gold coins
    This 1000 gold coins are scattered all over the globe.
    Player "A" finds first gold coin, and finds the wonder of it.
    Player "A" now can make stuff from gold, that give great meaning for possessing the coin.
    Player "A" now wants to find as much gold coins as possible. So he/she can trade this gold coins for other stuff, because of its value defined by the game mechanics.
    But there is a limit of gold, so players will give more stuff /goods to acquire that gold coins.
    Wars can be waged against tribes, because of this reason.
    Because its a limitted resource.

Like in the old days, people made stuff from gold (idols) to apeal to gods, and that gave a value to gold, because it was limited and gave blessings so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by joexxxz View Post
    Ok here is an example:
    Let say total gold in game is 1000 gold coins
    This 1000 gold coins are scattered all over the globe.
    Player "A" finds first gold coin, and finds the wonder of it.
    Player "A" now can make stuff from gold, that give great meaning for possessing the coin.
    Player "A" now wants to find as much gold coins as possible. So he/she can trade this gold coins for other stuff, because of its value defined by the game mechanics.
    But there is a limit of gold, so players will give more stuff /goods to acquire that gold coins.
    Wars can be waged against tribes, because of this reason.
    Because its a limitted resource.

Like in the old days, people made stuff from gold (idols) to apeal to gods, and that gave a value to gold, because it was limited and gave blessings so to speak.
    That ruins it's ability to be used for currency or to back currency. Can you please try reading my last two posts again?

Quote Originally Posted by aliksteel View Post
    But of course I like the gold standard system, Thats why I said it. But there is more to this than me liking the Global Standard Currency.
    Let me quote something that Tybalt said:
    I quote you, To make a point, And that point is we should not do the same old thing. Gold standard or not, Lets think outside the box. If any thing we say here has any influence for what may go in-game, Then I think we should think of new ways of doing this. The same old, same old has been done, And between all of us we have seen there pro's and con's. Let's try and come up with something that not only works for most people, But has staying power over the years.

I'll quote an old adage: "Don't fix it if it isn't broken."

If there is a global currency, then it needs to be a non-player controlled one. ANY player controlled method of dividing out currency is going to be subject to heavy exploitation. Another quote: "The rich get richer and the poor get poorer." If the developers want to put in a good economy then they will use Eve-Online's as an example. That game has a GREAT economic system. Since we don't have any npcs to give out quests, my suggestion on page 8 is probably the next best thing.

Joe's example of having a limited currency that players can then use to back a currency would be subject to deflation. Another issue is that if only certain players can create currency, then they will be the richest since they will be able to hoard the currency that they create. This leads to deflation.
    An item-for-item barter system would be the least subject to abuse but players would have to be able to trade face-to-face which wouldn't always be an issue, but sometimes it's nice not to have to stand around for hours and hours waiting for someone to trade with; therefore, it's more practical to have a regulated source of currency that can be hardcoded to be used for currency at auction-house or market type buildings, where one player can place an item for sale, log-off or do something else, and then someone else can come by and find that item quickly and easily and pay for it quickly and easily and then go about their business.

This is why I made my suggestion on page 8. Put those things in areas where there is no possiblity for pvp, or that the consequence of pvp would be so great that it wouldn't be worth it except in all but the most lucrative of situations, and not only do you have a method of generating currency, you also have another currency/resource sink to get things out of the system and a place where there could be low-risk/low-reward hunting and harvesting. So players can relax instead of constantly worrying about getting ganked.