Everyone can Craft Everything Debate

I was thinking about this and I'm curious how well crafting base stats determine the outcome of how good your items are.

I know everyone can craft everything, but if your base stats ultimately make you a bad crafter will your items even be worth trading?

If I make a bunch of tools that are low quality because my stats don't have anything to do with crafting and then use those tools to make all my weapons, armor, buildings, tools, etc - won't my stuff just all have horrible stats anyway?

Maybe the problem right now isn't that everyone can craft everything, maybe it's just that stats are not as important right now because people put up structures that ultimtely stay up forever. Once all the decay systems are in place and people start to realize how fast stuff breaks down if it's not the best quailty then maybe dedicated crafters will have more worth.

Some questions I have:

1. If you have base stats that don't correspond to the crafting skills and you get a master tool from someone else how good will your stuff be that you craft with that tool?

2. Doesn't master/artisan tools just make everything else obselete?

3. Why bother using anything else to craft anything at all if it's not being crafted from master/artisan tools?

4. Can everyone craft Artisan/Master tools even if you don't have high base stats that go with crafting?

5. If you have low base stats for crafting and you can craft master/artisan tools then will your artisan/master tools be worth less than someone with higher base stats?

Maybe it should work something like this for Artisan/Master tools:

If your base stats for crafting tools is below 90 you can't craft Master/Artisan tools and you can't use them when trying to craft an item. (I'm not talking about your actual toolcraft skill, I'm talking about whatever base stat is for crafting tools in general)

Xsyon Citizen
    My quick answer to that:

Most stuff that I craft which relies on stats, do not need tools - or not the best tools really. My problem is really that you can not collect the materials and craft with the same stats. So I (at best) get VHQ materials - so I do not need master tools to craft stuff (I would need to have all materials in Master Quality before even thinking about using Master tools).

Stuff I do at the moment are: terraforming with some "low/normal" quality shovels I found in a deserted tribe (I still have low/normal quality shovel heads with which I can craft shovels with my 28 skill point weapon crafting). The logs I use for woodcrafting (woodcrafting at 40 and logging at 60) are low/normal. I do mostly posts, boards, sheets and so on for architecture - where quality does not matter anyhow.

And the last craft I use heavily is Wraincrafting - quality is also no issue there (at the moment). For Toolmaking (somewhere in the high 90s) I mostly do forager tools - which do not provide a bonus anyhow - so I dont care if its a normal/artisan or master tool I create. The only exception to that are saw - where I like to create Master Pioneer Saws - simply because it is the best thing to to with old saw blades (as they yield the higher volume - afaik).

So for me all the things that you have listed are absolutely true. The only thing I would like to trade for are nails (which I need for architecture and wraincrafting). But to go through the whole process of creating something worth trading (meaning something that someone would give me nails for) - is really not worth the effort, because its much easier to just go out and find an deserted tribe and dismantle some of the buildings to get the nails from there :P

I dont even bother to scavenge, because of the impact of the Stats - makeing scavenging (besides the regular attacks from Revenenants and animals) practically useless for me (although I have 100 skill in scavening).

Afaik armor and weapons (not shovels/axe ... but weapons to fight) are the "only" things that require high quality tools - I mean it makes sense there to put in the effort to get high quality mats and tools - to get very good bonuses.

Leathercrafting, Bonecrafting is something I skipped because in the old times is was nearly impossible to get hunting to a high skill - so I would not have high quality materials anyhow. I sticked to mansonry, basektry (skills where it was just a matter of time to get to high skills also in the collecting skills you need for the materials) - So i have about 100 in Mansory, Basektry, Foraging, Resources - and really since I did not manage to push Forestry to 100 I am lacking some Master materials to produce master foragers tools (which I was able to do before forestry came into play). However I found out that master forager tools are not really better that normal ones (except waterskins) :P So it does not matter if you create a building part with a normal forager hammer or an artisan pioneer one. The same is true for carts - so the answer is: YES I do not care about the whole master tools discussion :P
    Last edited by tomduril; 09-13-2012 at 06:47 AM.

[QUOTE=KeithStone;95821]
    Some questions I have:

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post
    1. If you have base stats that don't correspond to the crafting skills and you get a master tool from someone else how good will your stuff be that you craft with that tool?
    Best answer I can give is the end product is a result of skill, stats, mats and tools. Tools are very powerful, even too powerful by some peoples reckoning so you will be able to make some really good stuff, but stats do effect the end result so if you want the very best you need all of these things. I have 100 in tools, and over 100 in Intelligence but I rely on others for some materials like "Small Metal Plates" Even though I have 100 in Scavanging, my perception is like 9 so I don't get very good materials.

2. Doesn't master/artisan tools just make everything else obselete?
    No because 90% of the tools we go through are for grinding. I eat axes, sometimes two a night cutting trees just to manage the forest around us. I don't care if they are the best, I prefer them to have high durability for obvious reasons, but that is not all too important.

3. Why bother using anything else to craft anything at all if it's not being crafted from master/artisan tools?
    Aside from making your very "Best" armor, weapons etc, same answer as above. Plus I don't care what my shovel is if I'm terraforming with it. My architecture tools can be anything. Some people may want to grind bricks to raise fortitude so you can make them a bunch of durability hammers and chisels.

4. Can everyone craft Artisan/Master tools even if you don't have high base stats that go with crafting?
    As far as I know yes if your skill is high enough. Your end result will be slightly lower quality due to the lower stats. I can't confirm this since my stats are high but we do have another master tool craftsman in tribe and my tools tend to be slightly higher over all quality.

5. If you have low base stats for crafting and you can craft master/artisan tools then will your artisan/master tools be worth less than someone with higher base stats?
    Only if someone really knows what the stats are since master quality or supreme quality have a range like everything else and I imagine the difference is not going to be that significant.

That's my take