Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dxwarlock View Post
    by that note, can I not also say its unfairly biased that fighters get the thrill of person to person combat to level..when us crafters have to stand around and grind inanimate objects to gain levels, with possibility of failure and loosing that sawblade that we searched days for in the process? its unfair and unjust that the fighters have a higher risk factor, and sense of thrill while using their gameplay style vs us crafters.

and that fighters should have to grind on test dummies for hours on end to gain points, with the possibility of breaking his weapons on the dummy.

its 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other..grass on the other side of the fence thing...
    Well perhaps crafting would be more of a thrill if you were not protected by a safe zone...

Perhaps people would absolutly need you so much that they were willing to fight to the death for your survival, because your crafted goods were actually needed.

Right now your just one crafter out of a thousand, who cares if you die, the tribes got 15 of you.

Also, when i was a crafter...no one attacked me, there were no combat characters looking to harm me, it was boring, which is why i decided to go combat, it was a path that no one was choosing.

Quote Originally Posted by fflhktsn View Post
    The safezones and penalties (if implimented) towards those who choose the combat route are why 90% of this game is sitting at their totem weaving baskets. Its not balanced
    no thats not the only reason, they could have no penalties, and great rewards for even when you loose..and Id still craft.
    its not the reward or lack of that motivates me, its what I enjoy doing in my offtime from work and family that drives my playstyle.

so dont assume its the risk of loss that drives everyone to be a crafter..when many of its its not even a factor in the decision

I can justify neglecting my family to play a game that gets my adrenaline pumping, but you must be a monster to ignore them to craft baskets.

Quote Originally Posted by dxwarlock View Post
    no thats not the only reason, they could have no penalties, and great rewards for even when you loose..and Id still craft.
    its not the reward or lack of that motivates me, its what I enjoy doing in my offtime from work and family that drives my playstyle.

so dont assume its the risk of loss that drives everyone to be a crafter..when many of its its not even a factor in the decision
    The game needs crafters like you...its just that everyone is a crafter because its the easiest rout to take currently. Theres the balance issue right there.

Your not special as a crafter....your a nobody...your tribe has nothing but people who can make stuff becasue theres no need to defend you.

Wouldnt you want to be something special, something needed in the game? I bet you would....

Well perhaps crafting would be more of a thrill if you were not protected by a safe zone...

Perhaps people would absolutly need you so much that they were willing to fight to the death for your survival, because your crafted goods were actually needed.

Right now your just one crafter out of a thousand, who cares if you die, the tribes got 15 of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Grau Davis
    What sets Xsyon apart is a focus on building and creating a new world and not relying on PvP as the driving force.
    taken from

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01...syon-question/

get over it, the focus is not on PVP, the balance you claim you want would be against what the game is all about.

I guess what im getting at..is at the end of the day, its a game..people want to play a game to enjoy it..
    as apposed to real life..where the risk of a job is a unfortunate sideffect that you have no control over.

In a game, its wide playerbase needs to have a wide range of "risk vs playtime" spectrum to keep its "varying degree of willingness to do so" playerbase around.

for one crafter that may enjoy the risk, and craft outside his ring just for the thrill someone might jump him, there is one that doesn't think thats wise.

for every fighter like you that sees the chance of loosing it all when someone else cant as a negative, there is one that sees the risk of loosing it all at the chance to gain all what they other has in under a minute a huge bonus.

it takes all kinda to 'round' out a successful game, he needs to cater to at least a small range of some of those types to keep it going.

with no diversity in playstyle you have no diversity of playerbase..

A combat character on the otherhand, needs to do all of his skill leveling far from any safe zone, animals are so hard to come by that other players are the better route. However if a death penalty that removes stats and skills is implimented, it puts all of the risk of the game on the combat characters.
    as you know i disagree with most of your op but the above you are forgetting that currently there are only 4 types of animals but in the not so distant future there will be more eventually i believe for a total of 40 if i remember correctly. you are also assuming that the crafters will not venture out, i don't see that as being the case there is not one place you can place your totem and get everything you need especially once the scrap piles are depleted. besides you know what they say about assumptions :P

Civilizations of past relied on a few "crafters" in which to support the many "combat" people of their armies, defense of the tribe was the number one important factor of their survival, not who can weave the most baskets.
    Are you talking about the real world? Prior to the 20th century, 90% of the population was involved in food production in some way. Even with ancient hunter-gatherer tribes, the vast majority of their time and effort was involved with what we gamers would call "crafting."

Quote Originally Posted by byrgar View Post
    taken from

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01...syon-question/

get over it, the focus is not on PVP, the balance you claim you want would be against what the game is all about.
    You can throw that quote up all you like, but fact is without a driving pvp force you will have no reason to craft weapons or armor, and noone will need to trade with you if they have 15 crafters in their tribe already. You will eventually get bored with crafting grass tents and go play something else that lets you craft and not pay a monthly fee.

Quote Originally Posted by kombi View Post
    you also gotta realize this game is designed that there will be a point when the junk is gone.... and those crafters cant just hide in there homes anymore to survive..
    This...

I'm going to say this generally and not to the OP directly. I know you wanted a "peaceful" debate, but this thread really is no different than others that have been posted and it's tiring.

You act like every crafter will have a spot next to a junk pile. You act like junk piles will be in forever. You act like no one is going to leave their little safe zone.

The prelude is made specifically so that the crafting basis can be built up. The risk with crafting is losing all crafting resources just like the risk of combat is losing all combat resources. Gathering resources should have varying risks. It makes sense to me. You can say "oh well loosing resources isn't the same as losing armor". You can't really judge that as that is quite subjective.

/rant_on
    People keep saying that "PvE" players (not the same as crafting players) do nothing but whine, but that's not really the case here. I'm just as tired of PvE/themepark players trying to change the mechanics of PvP focused/sandbox games as I am hearing PvP focussed players trying to change the mechanics of this game. That doesn't mean things will not change because they WILL. It's just that the whining is on the other foot now, and you all need to realize this. You can be hardcore...you can be a PvP GOD, but you still are whining. Let them make the game and if you have non-whining suggestions put them in the suggestions thread.

The key here is compromise. Being someone who loves pvp and really could care less about crafting... I actually want to craft in this game. I believe that there is a great compromise at the moment and great compromises planned. The game is for multiple play styles. Currently 1 style is really working (crafting) the second is coming soon (pve) the third may be in a few weeks to a month (combat) and the fourth might be in 6 months (warfare).
    /rant_off