View Poll Results: local chat within 50m - would you agree?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

58 86.57%
  • No

9 13.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Local Chat

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelTEE3 View Post
    Furthermore,

/q question channel
    /y (you) talk to the person nearest to you
    /z1 chat with zones to the left and right of your zone
    /z2 chat with zones above and below your zone
    /z3 chat with zones diagonally up left, up right, down left, down right
    /X silly chat (for when you want to be silly)
    /O option chat: for when you want to chat about options

Necessary additions, in my opinion.
    Great thinking, great ideas. Easily can be implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaldren View Post
    /s "Say" for chat bubbles only visible when within 30 meters of the person

/l "Local" for short-range radio for just inside the zone you're in

/r "Radio" acts like General chat does now (all adjacent zones)
    I like this idea best. TEE3's idea which a lot of people like, IMO has way to many needless options.

I like the set of options AlexTaldren suggested as well. One of the big things I thought was missing when I first encountered other people was something like a /s.

I'd agree with the more localized chat with a range of 50-250. (perhaps yell could be the 250 range)

However, with the way the game is currently we need some kinda chat that is in place now to initiate trades, encounters, or whatever.

They could just limit the number of times you can use the current way of chatting to like a minute. (radio, smoke-signals, or whatever) So assuming you chose your sentence carefully you could advertise or request trade and the responder could do the same with a location included.

I dont know about most of the population but everyone i talk to seems to have duel monitor setups, in which case your 2nd monitor should be on IRC.

then all the complaints about local chat being dead pretty much are all null void.

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    I dont know about most of the population but everyone i talk to seems to have duel monitor setups, in which case your 2nd monitor should be on IRC.

then all the complaints about local chat being dead pretty much are all null void.
    if that's the case though, that everyone is keeping irc open on a second monitor, then imo there should just be a thin wrapper around irc in the game chat. like a second tab on the chat window that just uses irc as the backend.

Anarchy online used a modified IRC server for there chat system, the added benefit is you can connect to it via the website using your credentials and talk to your fellow guildies in game while at work or something.

I still don't see why AlexTaldren's idea is difficult to implement. I've always wanted that system even before I read that he suggested it. It's a simple fix and I really would like close range chat so I don't have to whisper to everyone

Why don't we just bring back global if we want IRC built into the game? I certainly wouldn't mind IRC built into the game but AlexTaldren's idea should still be implemented