Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Enough!
    Stop turning posts into something personal and twist the original subject. It's disrespect to the topic starter, don't you find.

Now, the original post is a story about another game that uses competitions that can be seen as a player versus player style other than combat and the topic starter's question is; why must pvp be viewed as just combat?

We're not talking about whether the Xsyon combat system is good, all right, hmm or bad. Use another topic for that, please.

Quote Originally Posted by severin View Post
    Enough!
    Stop turning posts into something personal and twist the original subject. It's disrespect to the topic starter, don't you find.

Now, the original post is a story about another game that uses competitions that can be seen as a player versus player style other than combat and the topic starter's question is; why must pvp be viewed as just combat?

We're not talking about whether the Xsyon combat system is good, all right, hmm or bad. Use another topic for that, please.

Ive read the OP and it is about combat. It even says so in the title. Im not sure how you think its not.

Im talking about the combat and how bad it is in Xsyon. On top of that, I think the first post is one of the worst topics Ive seen in a while. If I were to see these types of people in game, I would get people in my area to KOS them and remove their towns (if it were PVP able). Because that's like griefing people and NOTHING to do with PVP.

If you bring into question topics, you must understand that those topics need to be talked about before moving on. If you dont you fail in even a simple system.

Ive played Horizons for a while, and it was fun, and I dont think anyone viewed PVP as "Flooding the market place first". Or "I built my house first". I think they just viewed it as it should be views a goal they wanted to do, nothing to do with PVP.

No clue when you played ddt, but I would have to bet is was not long at all. But with this subject you are not just off base but totally wrong.

In horizons, you could not interact directly with any player or npc. In fact you could walk right through them. Because of this, the ONLY way to pvp was to do some of the things mentioned. And YES folks did view those things as the only form of pvp. I was the leader of the longest running guild there, well know by all players and well respected. You sir, I'm sure nobody remembers at all.

And I agree with Severin, you have to try and spin things to your liking and are very willing to hijack threads to suit your purpose.

COMBAT is not the only way pvp is done. You don't get that and that's ok.

Shoot, even in Xsyon I compete with other players everyday. Just ask any other guild leader if they don't agree when I successfully recruit another new player. And where as I will never denude an area of trees or cut trees on any other tribes land, I will cut felled trees and craft with the logs IF ... notice I said IF, they are totally inactive. I will never roadover a junk pile like you have done, or nuke trees or structures when a tribe is moving their totem like you have.

Let's face it. Your style of play, although allowed, is certainly NOT liked or respected by other players. It is small minded and childish, and against your own interests, as can be seen by the many people you have run off from the game. Who you gonna pvp with now? OH!, that's right you can't because folks just don't want to put up with your antics when Xsyon is in this state.

Now that combat does not give YOU the advantage, it is what you cry about the most.

+10 for comedy value.

by all means...implement consensual non-combat player versus player challenges.
    Got a problem with your neighbor? DANCE OFF! Loser yields.
    Can't decide who should have ownership of the sand bar? WHO CAN GATHER THE MOST STONE IN 10 MINUTES!!
    Territory dispute? 6 hours - who can build the longest wall. Loser packs their bags and leaves.

This is some thrilling stuff. I can't wait to see the forum hate over nefarious wall building tactics or bribery accusations related to hard core dance off judging.

Hehe. Dub. It's both funny and sad at the same time.

Nothing like a dance off to stimulate diplomacy. I mean, a tribe holding a monopoly would really quake in their boots with the threat of a dance off hanging over their heads. What, we're hoarding resources and land and destroying yours so that ours becomes more valuable? We should really change our ways or else there will be hell to pay. Dancing hell. Tap shoes and leotards will fly. Oh the humanity. Can't we just get along? And further why should we?

Combat is the only PVP mentioned here that can serve as a definitive form of conflict resolution when players become completely unreasonable. The other things, not so much.

Enjoy your stalemate. I hear tic tac toe is a blast.

I find both your comments pretty funny too!

Armed combat will not resolve anything in this game. It will ONLY serve to make a player feel a bit better that he "got it over" on a fellow player.

The reality is this...

Let's say you come over to show your amazing power and strength against me. I walk out to meet you, you kill me... AND.... what? I didn't even try and fight, I just stood here and let you kill me. You loot me and get a few easily replaced items, then I respawn back at my totem safe and sound.

What exactly have you resolved? regardless of how unreasonable you or I am, what has actually changed? You cannot take anything I cannot replace very easily. You cannot harm anything inside my tribal area, and the best you can do is remove trees in my area. None of that will change my ability to play whatsoever.

Even if there were a few items I could actually lose that would be important to me, a bit more time and I can have them back or decide I don't need them after all. The games mechanics are all there is to work with, and xsyon does not allow anything that would provide what you suggest.

Also what you guys seem to want, sieges, destroying structures that took months, and forcibly taking over other tribes is not on the table for here nor has it been.

I just cannot understand why you guys troll the forums and try to convince everyone that crush and destroy is the only viable pvp options when there are indeed many others. I think the issue is not so much that you don't understand, but more that you believe that if you say a thing loud enough and often enough it will become fact.

So far.. that has not worked here.. has it?

mac, thanks for describing the problems with the "open pvp" this game claims to have

conflict has no point in this game and in a lot of cases isn't even possible

mac, i actually agree with you.
    as i've stated many times, nothing has value.
    There is very little point to do anything besides the act of actually doing it.
    Setting aside the fact that combat is fubar, there is really no reason to do it except (like everything else) just to do it.
    There is no reason to protect territory or take someone elses (even if you could) because there is another identical patch right over yonder.
    There is no benefit to building x, y, or z structure...why should i build one type of wall over another? Granite vs. Limestone? Wood vs. Stone? Who cares?
    Who cares when you can full loot when the gear you wear doesnt matter and has no value?

but you're proposing fixing the leaky faucet by watering the lawn.

I just cannot understand why you guys troll the forums and try to convince everyone that crush and destroy is the only viable pvp options when there are indeed many others. I think the issue is not so much that you don't understand, but more that you believe that if you say a thing loud enough and often enough it will become fact.
    I've grown beyond trying to convince everyone i'm right. I want to see this game be everything thing every carebear has dreamt about. I want to see how a non-conflict 'sandbox' game that has no actual point works out. I'm curious. I want to see the dance offs, and the wall building competitions.

I don't see that anyones hopes and dreams have been fulfilled here...So i'm being selfless and cheering on your efforts. it gets the sand. it makes the morter. it gets the stone. it makes the wall. Yippee!!! I'm all for it.

Actually What I am proposing is that in the interim, while we wait for the next patches and fixes that must occur before other things are improved, that we dream up a few alternatives to combat pvp.

I mean, isn't that a big part of how this game is designed to let players develop quests, and competitions? Isn't that also part of what a sandbox game is about?

We don't have meaningful pvp now. So, instead of just pointing out the obvious, why don't we all try and dream up a few things to spice up the day?

PS. Many of my hopes HAVE been fulfilled here. Since I love to build and plan, this is close to all i need anyway ... but I totally acknowledge that is is not for most.

Quote Originally Posted by Mactavendish View Post

I find both your comments pretty funny too!

Armed combat will not resolve anything in this game. It will ONLY serve to make a player feel a bit better that he "got it over" on a fellow player.

The reality is this...

Let's say you come over to show your amazing power and strength against me. I walk out to meet you, you kill me... AND.... what? I didn't even try and fight, I just stood here and let you kill me. You loot me and get a few easily replaced items, then I respawn back at my totem safe and sound.

What exactly have you resolved? regardless of how unreasonable you or I am, what has actually changed? You cannot take anything I cannot replace very easily. You cannot harm anything inside my tribal area, and the best you can do is remove trees in my area. None of that will change my ability to play whatsoever.

Even if there were a few items I could actually lose that would be important to me, a bit more time and I can have them back or decide I don't need them after all. The games mechanics are all there is to work with, and xsyon does not allow anything that would provide what you suggest.

Also what you guys seem to want, sieges, destroying structures that took months, and forcibly taking over other tribes is not on the table for here nor has it been.

You've just described everything wrong with the developers view of pvp.

Also, all the systems in game right now were NOT pvp players ideas they all came from scrubby carebears so if you are going to blame anyone for the game being dead, blame them.

Might as well take all combat out if there isn't going to be any sieging or anything of the like because without it the game is so many different levels of pointless.

Also you know what game has EXACTLY what you're asking for???? "A Tale In The Desert", you know why nobody plays it?? because it's BORING AND POINTLESS.

Really funny posts here though, so many people and yet so few braincells between them, no wonder the simplest points seem to elude them.

made the key points easier to read for the downies on the forums.