Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    3 months is better than decades. But 2 days is even better than 3 months.
    But at being realistic its exponentially worse. Not many things grow to full in 2 days and trees certainly aren't one of them. Does grass grow an inch a day?

2 days would make the resource far too easy to get. 3 months seems long enough to make the resource still have some trade demand. trees are heavy id rather get the ones that spawn back in 2 days in my safe zone than run over to your zone and haul your stock piled trees back

which means trees lost their value

i gotta go tho. later

How about zombies and realism?

Give us trees that regrow in reasonable time pretty please. I don't have 3 months to wait for a "realistic" event, this is a game after all. And do give us zombies and magic also.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGooey View Post
    But at being realistic its exponentially worse. Not many things grow to full in 2 days and trees certainly aren't one of them. Does grass grow an inch a day?

2 days would make the resource far too easy to get. 3 months seems long enough to make the resource still have some trade demand. trees are heavy id rather get the ones that spawn back in 2 days in my safe zone than run over to your zone and haul your stock piled trees back

which means trees lost their value

i gotta go tho. later
    We don't need a realistic game. As long as someone I've hit with an axe can still run like a rabbit, and a person I killed comes back in 1 min, if I can craft an armor in 3 secs which would take a week in real you really can't mention realism. What we need is a coherent and immersive world, not a realistic one.

What if the ancient gods felt sorry for the wasteland and decided to give everything a shorter growing cycle ? Or the radiation from the apocalypse has changed the plants and trees and now they grow much faster ? Its very easy to come up with a good explanation for a faster regrow.

About the economy, we don't need very basic resources to be limited, that would only create an annoying game. What we need is rare recipes, high level rare resources, not rare trees. We don't live in a desert, we live in a forest area, branches and trees aren't supposed to be rare. Logs are not good for trading anyway, since you can only carry 1 log at once.

for a game that's a sandbox some times artificial exceptions need to be added for the ass holes that like to kick sand in everyones face. like the cutting trees down thing.

There should be a ass hole gauge for things you do, like cutting down a tree makes it go up but cutting it into logs makes it go down then it lowers with time since after all, normal people cut down the tree turn it into logs and then haul that one pile back to camp. ass holes on the other hand cut the tree down and move on.

Just make it take a good minute and several actions to (depending on your atrributes and logging ability of course) to chop a tree down. It takes me longer to drink water from a river than it does for someone to chop a tree down and cut it into logs.

Increasing the number of trees, and adding actual forests wouldn't hurt either. You should not be able to see the sky very well in certain areas.

If trees will be so few in number and so easy to chop down, then yes, respawn them every 2 days please.

What we need is a second radius around your totem where resources are protected unless your in that tribe. That way people that want to chop trees around thier totem can and keep the griefers out.
    Trees should be done something like wurm online where they can be planted from a sprout but depending on your skill they may fail to grow with a higher skill they grow and grow faster. I think in wurm it takes about a week for a tree to grow from sprout to full grown tree.
    Then trees outside that radius are free for all to chop and grind.

Quote Originally Posted by SAbbath View Post
    What we need is a second radius around your totem where resources are protected unless your in that tribe.
    Then trees outside that radius are free for all to chop and grind.

That's a horrible idea.

1. We dont need any more restricted areas
    2. Tribal areas are already established with no room for the "buffer zone"

If cutting trees took more time/effort people would be less inclined to do it for kicks. If you cant protect your resources, you don't deserve to keep them.

You might as well start calling Totems...BIOSPHERES

I would have thought it would be tied to the seasons?

Plant in the spring, harvest in the fall. If you wait til the second fall to harvest, you get more logs. Would encourage sound forestry of culling a bit at a time and allowing some old growth. Might take too long though.

Doesn't help protect against griefers, or the "if I'm stronger than you I can do whatever" brutes, but those types will presumably act on their supposed boredom one of these days and find something more to their liking.

Realism is nice, but 3 months ridiculous. Those coming into the game later, ie, not those of us now playing, will come in without any access to basic resources...this will result in one month no resubs. I mean no one wants to play their first day wandering a barren land without the ability to build up a small house at minimum.

I say this. Trees grow naturally, at say a week to large size. Perhaps the addition of a farming type skill, you can accelerate growth by tending the trees, fertilizer made from nitric dirt anyone? This would be in conjunction with food resource growing as a skill. This way those who need the supplies and put the time in will have more than those who run about cutting down the naturally grown trees, adding a small incentive economic value to farming trees while allowing natural gatherers to not be left in the dust by extended growth times of forests.

Another option, well rather a conjunctive option, as I'd like to see both; perhaps a proximity to trees growing would increase the chance of more trees growing (think seeds falling from the trees) so leaving a few natural trees rather than clear cutting would lead to larger and thicker forest growth adding the incentive to not clear cut.

This could be taken further in perhaps trees do not regrow naturally, rather you have to plant them if the land is barren, add tree seeds to the foraging list, people plop a few down, even without farming skill to tend the trees, and the trees can begin to natural reforest an area after laying just a few down in a location. This would both appeal to the realism addicts and ensure that trees are a renewable resource for everyone, even if the land is farmed barren.

deforestesation is natural when people are settling.. ofc some way that trees grow back will probably be needed, but if it's like 2 days later and everything is a forest again it would be stupid.. I wan't to see the consequences of people raping nature in this game would be cool if people could plant trees but it should take a bit of time.. probably not months though

as it is now, and I've only run through about half the map (not explored half the map, just run through the zones), I don't really see a problem.. In some areas all trees are gone, but there's still plenty of places with every resource near and no direct neighbours.. I've spotted at least 3 places where I kinda wished we made our camp.. And if they expand the map at some point, that will help a lot too..