Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The difference between day and night is quite profound for me. I use campfires for a light source.

I don't think adding torches is good idea unless they are limited in number. Every light source is a drain on client performance, and if it affects mob spawns - the server as well. Campfires ought to be limited, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhul_NS View Post
    The difference between day and night is quite profound for me. I use campfires for a light source.

I don't think adding torches is good idea unless they are limited in number. Every light source is a drain on client performance, and if it affects mob spawns - the server as well. Campfires ought to be limited, also.
    If they just make them burn out using resources they wont be over used IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    If they just make them burn out using resources they wont be over used IMO.
    Well, I would HOPE they would burn out, like campfires SEEM designed to, but that is another drain on the server. Keeping track of all those timers.

Well, I would HOPE they would burn out, like campfires SEEM designed to, but that is another drain on the server. Keeping track of all those timers.
    Haha, I dont think you know how it really works. It would be like saying, grass on the server is a drain. Sure anything you add is going to drain it, however, its not all that much. If they burn out over time then its even less of a drain.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Haha, I dont think you know how it really works. It would be like saying, grass on the server is a drain. Sure anything you add is going to drain it, however, its not all that much. If they burn out over time then its even less of a drain.
    I will ignore the implied insult and say that any object in the world which can be interacted with, or has an effect on other objects (inluding player characters) has to be kept track of saparately by the server. When you are also keeping track of the terrain, that starts to add up. Putting a state timer on each light source adds even more drain.

A light source with a timer is more of a demand than a patch of grass.

I will ignore the implied insult and say that any object in the world which can be interacted with, or has an effect on other objects (inluding player characters) has to be kept track of saparately by the server. When you are also keeping track of the terrain, that starts to add up. Putting a state timer on each light source adds even more drain.

A light source with a timer is more of a demand than a patch of grass.
    I agree, but there are 10000s of patches of grass.

My point is that, its not like its going to lag the server. If it does then remove it. Decay has 10000x more effect on lag on the server than light source timers ever would.

Torches, lanterns, and larger fires are not really optional in a sandbox game with a day/night cycle.

Wait for fuel and generators and find some save the world low energy light bulbs (world was not saved so they didn't work in the end :P)

I thought civilization ended after people learned to make perpetual fires just by placing ten stones in a circular pattern.

It turned out the oil and energy company profits really were an essential part of the economy. Who would have figured that.

Ravelli

Quote Originally Posted by Rothkur View Post
    Torches, lanterns, and larger fires are not really optional in a sandbox game with a day/night cycle.
    I disagree.

Ok so for me, dark nights are very much like Mortal Online. Black. I have jacked all my settings and it doesn't help. It's unplayable at night unless i stand by my campfire.

The question I was asking re: homesteads...when I go to the ui, it tells me that what I have placed is a tribe. It does not say "homestead" in the window it says "tribe"...but there are only two members. Does that mean I have placed it wrong or does it just not distinguish? Does it make it a homestead because I only have two people in it?

Also, the question I was asking about things being "safe" was referring to decay. Will my basket with items, placed within my homestead or tribe or whatever, decay eventually? There doesn't seem to be a way to check what condition the basket is in unless I empty it and place it in my pack...