How does the stat system work? No idea!

Hello everybody,

This is one of the main doubts I have and always had about the game and still can't find good information about it. I know how each stat affect the different skills, but I don't know if for example:

- The stat points you put at character creation is the max level you can get on each one?
    - If the above is true, then you can't raise stats till max level by doing something? (like using the skills related to them)
    - Do stats have a soft cap too (if they can be leveled)?
    - How do you raise stats?

thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by treyu View Post
    Hello everybody,

This is one of the main doubts I have and always had about the game and still can't find good information about it. I know how each stat affect the different skills, but I don't know if for example:

- The stat points you put at character creation is the max level you can get on each one?
    - If the above is true, then you can't raise stats till max level by doing something? (like using the skills related to them)
    - Do stats have a soft cap too (if they can be leveled)?
    - How do you raise stats?

thanks in advance.
    http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...Creation-Guide

study up quick. headstart starts 6am PST March 10th

Decay/gain system was bugged.
    You could only decay in stats and not gain them (it should be fixed today, it really ought to, as in my experiences their patches aren't backwards supportive if that makes sense to you.)

You should be able to change your stats simply by using the skills affected by the stat visa versa if you don't want the stat anymore don't use your skills affected by the stat.

Quote Originally Posted by VeryWiiTee View Post
    Decay/gain system was bugged.
    You could only decay in stats and not gain them (it should be fixed today, it really ought to, as in my experiences their patches aren't backwards supportive if that makes sense to you.)

You should be able to change your stats simply by using the skills affected by the stat visa versa if you don't want the stat anymore don't use your skills affected by the stat.
    Ok that makes more sense than having to decide today the stats i will have for the rest of my time in the game. Thanks!!

Stat gain works(tested), but it appears that there is a hardcap on stats and you start with max, so to gain one stat one needs to drop.

Quote Originally Posted by yoori View Post
    Stat gain works(tested), but it appears that there is a hardcap on stats and you start with max, so to gain one stat one needs to drop.
    I have lost multiple stats, but never gained any. Is you max in a stat 90 or does it go to 100. Because that would explain losing one while not gaining in another that was already at max. That game could try to raise say STR 1 and drop INT 1 after Terraforming for hours, but if STR is already 90 and that is the MAX, then the game might be dropping INT 1 and failing to be able to raise STR 1. Thoughts?

You have a fixed pool of 500 stat points, so raising one will have to drop another.

I got my first 1-point stat increase after about 70 hours of pure scavenging/foraging, so don't be expecting huge changes in a short time. The stat increase was announced via an ingame message which appeared right after my Foraging result displayed onscreen, so stat increase WAS working after the last wipe.

Quote Originally Posted by jokhul View Post
    You have a fixed pool of 500 stat points, so raising one will have to drop another.

I got my first 1-point stat increase after about 70 hours of pure scavenging/foraging, so don't be expecting huge changes in a short time. The stat increase was announced via an ingame message which appeared right after my Foraging result displayed onscreen, so stat increase WAS working after the last wipe.
    One went up, the other down?

Quote Originally Posted by Haunt View Post
    One went up, the other down?
    Yes, BUT my Strength dropped by 1 point waaay before I got the Perception increase.

My current theory is that the stats change in fractional amounts, but the stat display only shows rounded-down numbers.

So if my Strength went down to 74.9 and PER went up to 60.1, I'd only see Strength decrease in the stat window display, i.e. STR = 74 (74.9 rounded down) and PER = 60 (60.1 rounded down).

All the way to 60.99, my PER would then display as 60. Once PER has increased by a FULL point, I see the increase displayed.

That is one likely explanation of the long delay between the decrease and the increase.

Quote Originally Posted by jokhul View Post
    Yes, BUT my Strength dropped by 1 point waaay before I got the Perception increase.

My current theory is that the stats change in fractional amounts, but the stat display only shows rounded-down numbers.

So if my Strength went down to 74.9 and PER went up to 60.1, I'd only see Strength decrease in the stat window display, i.e. STR = 74 (74.9 rounded down) and PER = 60 (60.1 rounded down).

All the way to 60.99, my PER would then display as 60. Once PER has increased by a FULL point, I see the increase displayed.

That is one likely explanation of the long delay between the decrease and the increase.
    That's a pretty good theory. The display probably just truncates to value to the ones place while not taking into account rounded values.

11. 05-27-2011, 04:47 PM