Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    If I were some tribes... I'd focus on building up skills and things so that they can get ready for the move once the mist opens. Everyone's all clambering about "spots", but if I were a leader, I'd be just as interested in the future land. In other words I'd say the current land is just a stepping stone for individual players and this game alike.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    If I were some tribes... I'd focus on building up skills and things so that they can get ready for the move once the mist opens. Everyone's all clambering about "spots", but if I were a leader, I'd be just as interested in the future land. In other words I'd say the current land is just a stepping stone for individual players and this game alike.
    I agree, wholeheartedly. And what me and 6 friends are doing. Not a full sized tribe now, but hey. We've got a great spot out RIGHT on the edge of the mist. A little further in and the screen goes completely green, and thus far there's no one else out there ( maybe that's because no one is logging in until the final wipe, but still ).

New territory opens up, more lucrative areas ( potentially ), and you can be established as an outpost, different from other outposts, because you're actually more than a few zones from the nearest settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    and to do this what do you need? land now is going to be just as important as getting the better land in the future. it's going to be a while before new lands become available and skills won't take nearly as long to develop. Maybe a reason why you're not a leader?

I stay away from the server for the first few days, it will be a mess.
    In todays update there was this "Once you've placed a totem, please log off to reduce traffic on this day."

If we're asked to do that, what will happen when most people just want to play after the first few days, can't the server handle that?

Quote Originally Posted by pilok View Post
    In todays update there was this "Once you've placed a totem, please log off to reduce traffic on this day."

If we're asked to do that, what will happen when most people just want to play after the first few days, can't the server handle that?
    That's what worries me as well.....forget server rule sets for a minute....it's rather obvious we need multiple servers....does anyone not agree at this point? Jordi has disabled 3/4 of this game to cram us all onto one server WTF.....this is software....its not rocket science.....that should not be happening....he should know exactly what his client numbers are, his database requests/transactions, etc and roll out a stable and solid solution. If it involves multiple servers, so be it. Do it and tell the community to eat shit.

I am scared to death this week! lol

Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
    That's what worries me as well.....forget server rule sets for a minute....it's rather obvious we need multiple servers....does anyone not agree at this point? Jordi has disabled 3/4 of this game to cram us all onto one server WTF.....this is software....its not rocket science.....that should not be happening....he should know exactly what his client numbers are, his database requests/transactions, etc and roll out a stable and solid solution. If it involves multiple servers, so be it. Do it and tell the community to eat shit.

I have no idea from the technical side of things on multiple servers, but I do understand hard-headed stubborness (being an expert in that area myself). If we really are going to need multiple servers, I believe that a lot of hard-headed, stubborn people are going to have to see the truth of it for themselves by trying to have the thing their way and then watching how getting their way actually plays out (and how, at peak hours, maybe they can't play at all?). I'm sure that if two servers really are required, the same people crying because of the proposed server split will come back in a couple of weeks crying for more servers.

I don't have a ton of data to base this on as I only recently purchased this game, but here is my two cents. The current plan to let everyone get their tribes together first seems like a pretty solid idea.

First off, many of you have been playing the game long enough to know your tribe setup and your ideal locale for settling. Without a mindless zerg of ganking on day one, you can take your time and comence with your plan. If you can't get the spot you initially wanted you at least have the option of sending scouts out to find alternative locations without them being killed left and right.

Secondly, I have a feeling the first day or two are going to be frustratingly laggy and overall unplayable. This may make it ultimately easier to find a prime location for your settlement as others get all qq and log off to cool down.

Third and finally, in the brief time I have been playing I explored quite a bit and saw that there were large swaths of unclaimed land that were in prime resourcerich areas. It took time to find them but they were surely there.

we all think that we know the setup.....a survey gets sent and responded to.....rules of engagement then promptly change? *wonders how many people would have responded differently to the survey*....

Quote Originally Posted by pilok View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post

This is exactly my worry and something i have asked Jordi in an email .

If your having to " turn off " parts of the game and ask players to log off to ease the load on the server , then you really should not be trying to make do with just 1 server .
    As i have said in another thread , i really hope , for this games sake , that they have a second server ready to launch within 30 minutes if the first server shows it can not cope with the load .

Quote Originally Posted by galagah View Post
    This is exactly my worry and something i have asked Jordi in an email .

If your having to " turn off " parts of the game and ask players to log off to ease the load on the server , then you really should not be trying to make do with just 1 server .
    As i have said in another thread , i really hope , for this games sake , that they have a second server ready to launch within 30 minutes if the first server shows it can not cope with the load .
    In my opinion, you're better off going too far (turning off features/staggering placement), then not far enough ( a repeat of the last time) when this tribe/land placement happens.

This game cannot afford another fiasco like its already seen. The server will probably never see the stress it would see with another land rush. People have already talked about taking the day out work/changing plans to be in game. Folks want "thier" spot, its that simple.

Having everyone and their sister logging in the game, trying to create homesteads, tribes, unique tribe names, added to the game setting boundries, and all the rest, lag and rollbacks be damned! Is just too much stress, and pretty unique situation, i would think. I like this option, compared to a repeat of the last time.