Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I dont think the community killed the game.
    They listened to the plethora of carebears who stated that they want safezones, thousands of things to craft, pretty trees, reflective water, and various other things to enrich their glorified gather/craft pixel hording experience.

They shunned those that asked for the combat, siege warfare, and point to all the crafting, pretty water, land, and everything else. This is obvious when the game being (how old exactly?) after release with NO REAL COMBAT MECHANICS WHATSOEVER. They shouldn't have put so much time and effort into all the pretty looking useless outfits to craft and at least SOME time on the combat that would make all those pretty little craftable objects worth it.

I see this whole thing as another sad representation of a phenomenal idea that fears letting go of the pve anchor people aka squeeky-wheeled carebear militants that snuffs out the real potential of it ALL.

Salvadore, combat is a problem for both carebears and PVPers.

So, maybe they should have put less time into allowing FFA pvp outside of safe areas, and put it into combat for animals. You can say this about a ton of stuff.

I dont blame carebears for the state of the game. I think there are many more issues at work here.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Salvadore, combat is a problem for both carebears and PVPers.

So, maybe they should have put less time into allowing FFA pvp outside of safe areas, and put it into combat for animals. You can say this about a ton of stuff.

I dont blame carebears for the state of the game. I think there are many more issues at work here.
    Yeah I totally agree with ya. I could "hindsight" all day long but it will still obviously be at the same result.

However, I have YET to see a dev group listen emphatically and predominantly to the pvp-centric crowd. When they speak, they are usually drown out...much like here.

Someday, someone will get it right!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Salvadore View Post
    Yeah I totally agree with ya. I could "hindsight" all day long but it will still obviously be at the same result.

However, I have YET to see a dev group listen emphatically and predominantly to the pvp-centric crowd. When they speak, they are usually drown out...much like here.

Someday, someone will get it right!!!
    It's funny how much personal perspective can color what we see. It's good to hear your complaints Salvadore because while I really do think your own perspective is skewed, it reminds me that mine is as well.

I see things pretty completely opposite of you! lol. I often feel like the less-warlike voices are often drowned out in these forums by the more warsome folks. If I disagree, I'll eventually be told I'm crying or ridiculed in some way. My manhood will be attacked by saying I just want to make skirts. I'll be considered more primitive, less advanced, by saying I'm making mudhuts... etc.

On the other hand, I've been known to accuse certain people of having heavy browridges or rather unfortunate psychological problems. The primary difference, of course, being that I'm actually right... *cough*

Go figure. It's almost like rather than seeing what we want to see, we're seeing what scares us most about where the game could be headed. Wonder why that is, but since I'm apparently doing it too, it's kinda hard to look at it objectively enough to come up with a hypothesis.

@dub, they're not skirts ffs man, they're kilts!

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    It's funny how much personal perspective can color what we see. It's good to hear your complaints Salvadore because while I really do think your own perspective is skewed, it reminds me that mine is as well.

I see things pretty completely opposite of you! lol. I often feel like the less-warlike voices are often drowned out in these forums by the more warsome folks. If I disagree, I'll eventually be told I'm crying or ridiculed in some way. My manhood will be attacked by saying I just want to make skirts. I'll be considered more primitive, less advanced, by saying I'm making mudhuts... etc.

On the other hand, I've been known to accuse certain people of having heavy browridges or rather unfortunate psychological problems. The primary difference, of course, being that I'm actually right... *cough*

Go figure. It's almost like rather than seeing what we want to see, we're seeing what scares us most about where the game could be headed. Wonder why that is, but since I'm apparently doing it too, it's kinda hard to look at it objectively enough to come up with a hypothesis.

I think everyone does it, which is why its up to the devs to sort through it, and the mods to keep it focused on topic, instead of personal attacks about who likes to wear a dress and if they are a kilt or not.

I do try to keep a level head and I do try to see both sides of the coin. But no matter what you do, you will always be bias. Its just life. I look at it from the point of view that if the carebears wore gone the game would suffer for it, same token is that if the PVPers are gone, the game would suffer. Key is to try to find that middle ground. I think Jordi wants to do it also.

it's knitting all the same

and btw, i will be the first to admit that i want a game that is driven by conflict.
    now that conflict can be driven by many different factors...economic, resources, politics, personalities...but the games that I like to play are competitions. I've said it many times, i want reasons for doing things...and typically that involves gettiing there firstest with the bestest or the mostest. I don't see the pve element supporting this, because typically, in my experience, pve only works really well in a theme park environment where you have elements driving a story line.
    so *shrug* not really gonna be apologetic about my stance...been pretty open about it actually

at the end of the day it's up to the devs to listen to us, or ignore us...hopefully our ranting, raving, and name calling, has produced at least a couple ideas that might have caused a creative lightbulb to go off in their collective skulls...ahh hah, didn't think of doing it like that!...but if not...oh well.

so enough of that.

screw you carebears...the only good thing you bring to the game is clothing...I kill you, and then skin you and make a nice cozy jacket. or hat. or maybe some boots.

xoxo

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    so enough of that.

screw you carebears...the only good thing you bring to the game is clothing...I kill you, and then skin you and make a nice cozy jacket. or hat. or maybe some boots.

xoxo
    And will you be sitting in a mud hut while you do your intricate sewing of skin?

We wuv you psychos!

edit: on the subject of sewing skin, if you start getting all quiet around lambs and calling people clarice, I really am gonna worry!

I think it would be a mistake to make the game all one way or the other. The best approach was taken by DAOC, where PvP was optional, and meaningful. Players can spend the whole time just playing PvE and crafting, if they wanted. Those who want to PvP all the time can do that. PvP'ing brings rewards, both to the player and to the whole realm that wins.

The best games provide the player with a variety of game playstyles, and the player can pick what he wants to do at the time. Craft? Sure. Harvest? Yup. PvE? PvP? yes.

So, provide some extra resources or bonus items that "live" in PvP space and have to be captured and defended. To get the best gear, you will have to PvP. But you are not forced to.

Quote Originally Posted by billpaustin View Post
    I think it would be a mistake to make the game all one way or the other. The best approach was taken by DAOC, where PvP was optional, and meaningful. Players can spend the whole time just playing PvE and crafting, if they wanted. Those who want to PvP all the time can do that. PvP'ing brings rewards, both to the player and to the whole realm that wins.

The best games provide the player with a variety of game playstyles, and the player can pick what he wants to do at the time. Craft? Sure. Harvest? Yup. PvE? PvP? yes.

So, provide some extra resources or bonus items that "live" in PvP space and have to be captured and defended. To get the best gear, you will have to PvP. But you are not forced to.
    The problem is, a large / vocal segment of the population doesnt even want the daoc model.
    In daoc, yes pvp was optional...but it wasn't if you wanted the best stuff. the dungeons were pvp hot, some of the best loot came from pvp lands, and of course realm rewards and whatnot.

You could always stay in protected lands, but you missed out on a good bit of content if you did.

Teh carebear pop in this game wants to have teh same benefits as those that ventured in the pvp lands, without actually having to venture in the pvp lands...they see no reason as to why they should have to pvp, much less live in pvp lands, to get the best stuff...they do not see the risk:reward model as a viable construct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    In daoc, yes pvp was optional...but it wasn't if you wanted the best stuff. the dungeons were pvp hot, some of the best loot came from pvp lands, and of course realm rewards and whatnot.

You could always stay in protected lands, but you missed out on a good bit of content if you did.

Teh carebear pop in this game wants to have teh same benefits as those that ventured in the pvp lands, without actually having to venture in the pvp lands...they see no reason as to why they should have to pvp, much less live in pvp lands, to get the best stuff...they do not see the risk:reward model as a viable construct.
    EXACTLY this is the exact problem in every mmo i have played with open world/flagged/zoned pvp, the players that dont want to pvp argue that they should be able to get a free pass into pvp land because there not interested in pvp they just want whats in there. The Risk/Reward model in there heads doesn't apply to them.

How ever everyone forgets that: "Every PvP player is also a PvE player, but not every PvE player PvPs" they just want to punish pvp players for a playstyle they dont agree with, but pvpers dont get to punish pve players for there play style. ????

You kinda see how it really is one sided because one group has to ruin a game for everyone that can handle there shit.
    IE:
    you can't climb trees anymore because the kid in a wheel chair wanted to be equal and fell and now his arms dont work either.
    No more fireworks because some kids burned a warehouse down.
    Were going to prohibit alcohol with caffine in it because some dumb ass stayed up for 3 days drank 24 Four Loko's and then shot him self in the head..
    You can't handle your drugs and you called the cops and got everyone arrested....

One group has to go out and ruin a game for the whole community.

my suggestion: http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...4723#post84723