Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What is xsyon?

Xsyon Citizen
    Eh, this thread is a feces exposition being put on by expert excrement expeditors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    Eh, this thread is a feces exposition being put on by expert excrement expeditors.

Thank you, that made me laugh...
    It seems I can't stop staring at this thread. I'm considering asking more experienced trollers for advice on getting the heck out of here because the dishes ain't getting done and I want to play the game...
    argh.

Quote Originally Posted by jokhul View Post
    Implied ?

How ?

How on earth did the Feature List imply that the game "INCLUDED FFA-PVP, warfare and sieging" ? Please quote the relevant part that implies the above ?

Or did you extrapolate that from the fact that there is Combat mentioned in the Feature List ?

Nobody that read ONLY the Feature List could possibly be misled about the nature of Combat in Xsyon, except perhaps in expecting there to be MUCH LESS of it than there actually is.

However, anyone that read the forums would have gotten an entirely different picture from the one painted in the Feature List, I'll grant you that. But most of the forum posts were player opinion and arguments about what shape Combat SHOULD take in Xsyon. Hell, "full-loot" isn't even mentioned in the Features, lol
    11.) Will there be PvP?

Yes, the game is open PVP with consequences and a sparring / training combat mode. In the early Prelude towns will be safe zones.

thats in teh faq.

Little do you know you are destined to become a hero.

Your path is one of choice. Will your actions help heal the planet or will you play a part in its ultimate doom? What will be the destiny of the Xsyon, the promised land?

that's from the home page...kinda sets the stage for a control the future of the world type scenario...I guess you could do that as an individual if your a big enough bad ass. More likely it is alluding to tribal conflict. I guess it could mean that the bears are the real enemy, spawn of satan, and your goal as a survivor is to resist their repeated attempts to enslave the remainder of humanity.

I'm seriously not sure how you could read the home page and not infer a major good vs. evil pvp clash set up. I mean it would be one thing if there was a factional evil npc ai that presses against you, makes incursions from the mist, etc. but there isn't. and it has been stated that evil players are the games 'mobs'. so good vs. evil is obviously a player vs. player clash. I mean that is the backkdrop of the game. Good vs. Evil. Creator or Destroyer. Who controls its evolution.

first paragraph on the home page:
    Will you fight for justice to stop the chaos or will you join in the ranks of evil to bring upon the ultimate destruction of the earth?
    i want to join the ranks of the pacifists, sit in my magically protected dome of impenetrability, make baskets and stare across the lake at sunset. Don't make me break out my crafting knife. And those evil racoons better keep their diistances, their plots of world domination shall not come to pass!!! (because i have no problem harming a cute furry critter BECAUSE IT HAS A MASK!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    Fair enough, but at least call out your own tribesman as well. Apparently anyone who wasn't born to the english language can't disagree, because, well you know, they spoke another language before speaking english... that makes more sense to you?
    Well I do lean more toward Jadzia being a troll at this point than it being a language barrier. As Sirius mentioned in the post right after yours he's chalking her failure to see what's in front of her as a language issue or a logic (intelligence) issue. Language is likely the more polite way to go. Really though, as Jadzia has already mentioned that it is there her arguement now that it is not is really just baiting the conversation to continue. I don't have a problem participating as I'm home sick with nothing to do, and troll bashing can be a fun past time.

The really sad part is that the devs could have easily stepped in quite a while ago and said "Here is the general direction we want to go with this at this time..." to not only put this conversation to rest, but the next several that are going to take place in the coming weeks. They're going to have to do it anyway toward the end of May if they want June to see much of a subscriber base.

Quote Originally Posted by jokhul View Post
    So ONE out of the 122 bullet-points on the Feature List refers directly to a feature that probably has no use outside of PVP ?

And that proves that the game is PVP-focused ?

I'm not trying to prove there's no PVP intended, I'm just trying to establish the FOCUS of Xsyon...
    Doesn't really matter what you're trying to prove. The conversation was with Jadzia who is trying to say that it isn't mentioned anywhere.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    i want to join the ranks of the pacifists, sit in my magically protected dome of impenetrability, make baskets and stare across the lake at sunset.
    Yet you won't come over to my parents' house and have dinner JUST ONCE.

::runs off crying::

11.) Will there be PvP?

Yes, the game is open PVP with consequences and a sparring / training combat mode. In the early Prelude towns will be safe zones.

thats in teh faq.

Your path is one of choice. Will your actions help heal the planet or will you play a part in its ultimate doom? What will be the destiny of the Xsyon, the promised land?

that's from the home page...kinda sets the stage for a control the future of the world type scenario...I guess you could do that as an individual if your a big enough bad ass. More likely it is alluding to tribal conflict. I guess it could mean that the bears are the real enemy, spawn of satan, and your goal as a survivor is to resist their repeated attempts to enslave the remainder of humanity.

I'm seriously not sure how you could read the home page and not infer a major good vs. evil pvp clash set up. I mean it would be one thing if there was a factional evil npc ai that presses against you, makes incursions from the mist, etc. but there isn't. and it has been stated that evil players are the games 'mobs'. so good vs. evil is obviously a player vs. player clash. I mean that is the backkdrop of the game. Good vs. Evil. Creator or Destroyer. Who controls its evolution.

i want to join the ranks of the pacifists, sit in my magically protected dome of impenetrability, make baskets and stare across the lake at sunset. Don't make me break out my crafting knife. And those evil racoons better keep their diistances, their plots of world domination shall not come to pass!!! (because i have no problem harming a cute furry critter BECAUSE IT HAS A MASK!!)
    Dub, no one is arguing about the game having PvP. We are arguing about the feature page only, not other threads or homepage. We all know that Xsyon has PvP (though it hasn't got tribal warfare yet), the questions is that someone who reads the feature page only could figure it out of it. And if anyone can claim that he was misled by the feature page since he thought it advertised tribal warfare.

Soulwanderer, I said that tribal warfare is not mentioned on the feature page, not anywhere.

Malivius, are you native English ? Since it seems that no one with English as a second language can have a word here

Xsyon Citizen
    You're losing track of your own arguments, Jad.

You said the features page doesn't mention tribal war OR pvp.

Thus, even if someone accepts the crazy mental backflips that you had to go through to interpret the language to mean there is NO tribal war, you're still stuck with the fact that the features page clearly indicates PVP is part of the game.

Furthermore, you're presenting a false dilemma. Since I said that anyone who reads only the features page (and not the many forum posts) will be misled, you challenged me to show feature-page language indicating PVP is part of the game (which I did).

That's all well and good. But you're missing a crucial point: Players were entitled to rely on ANYTHING ANYWHERE where the devs said there would be PVP. But the only thing they were OBLIGATED to look at, in order to know what they were getting into, was the features page. But this still means that the devs can be held to what they said in interviews, on their web forums, etc... YET players cannot be faulted for basing their purchase decision SOLELY on the feature page.

The obligation to advertise a product accurately, unfortunately for your argument, is a single-edged sword. Thus, while mention of PVP on the feature page is sufficient to justify players' expectations that the game would have PVP, it is not necessary. QED.

11.) Will there be PvP?

thats in teh faq.

You are quoting from the FAQ, not the Feature List. Some posters here have been arguing that players were misled by the Feature List into believing the game was all about PVP.

This thread asks "What is Xsyon ?", and I take that to mean "what is the game supposed to be about". What it IS right now is not something I really want to talk about, lol

We all know Xsyon has FFA-PVP, and that the actual combat system needs major work. But that does not imply that PVP should neccessarily become the driving force in the game. EVE has an interesting mix of brutal FFA-PVP and PVE, "safe" zones and FFA-zones. It keeps a large portion of non-PVP'ers as loyal subscribers. I would not say EVE is PVP-focused. It can be, if you want that, but you can also live there with very little risk of getting ganked.

Does that "ruin the game" for the PVP'ers ? Evidently not, because there are loads of them as well.

It's never going to stop

Dub, go have dinner at the man's house already. Sure, he's wearing a gas mask and holding a torch, but you have a gas mask with glowing green eyes, you'll be fine.

My hunger and thirst bar have been depleted, and in my lack of foresight, I didn't install my office in the loo.

I fail you all and take my leave .

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Illmaculate View Post
    The game has pvp: fact
    I call BS one that one -- last time I checked, the game only had random-teleportation-based country square-dancing while holding weapons.