View Poll Results: Should players be allowed to build anywhere?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

54 46.96%
  • No

61 53.04%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    . Also, it'd be really crappy if someone places their permenent tribe over the spawn point of some really rare and needed material. Hypothetically speaking of course.
    This should be solved SWG style. There SHOULD be rare and "special" spawns but they should be dynamic. Once a set amount have been harvested its gone. Of course after a pre determined time a new spawn can appear somewhere else to be discovered again. This speads the love a bit and promotes exploration.

Quote Originally Posted by river111 View Post
    Expected nothing less from you man, really. Oh and lets start this off with your verbal correction. I purposely use Your in every context on this particular forum persona, its part of the character for me. You may or may not be smart enough to grasp that concept but hey, too bad.
    hehe just noticed this, although i too am not a fan of people correcting grammar and spelling on gaming forums, and as a teacher mrcalhou you should be aware some people may have good reason, dyslexia for example. However! River, you actually have a "persona" that you use on forums that includes traits such as poor grammar and spelling? I think ive heard it all now!

Quote Originally Posted by MikaHR View Post
    1. EvE has huge safe zone
    2. In EvE, when 2 fleets collide, if capital ships start popping, both attacker and defender will suffer huge losses that will set them back for months, and open them to attacks by others since their defences are sbstancially weakened, in Xsyon theres absolutely no risk for the attacker, if you fail you just clean dirt from your face and you are ready to go again. Until attackers can suffer huge losses and have adequate consequences if they fail safe zones must stay in place
    3. Good PvP can be had from claiming land in the future, where current safe zones act as EvE high-sec, while rest of the world acts as low-0 area.
    Actually, coming from an Eve background, I absolutely believe in safe-zones. But all the zones in Eve that allow player-built structures are also PvP zones, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by bruisie159 View Post
    This should be solved SWG style. There SHOULD be rare and "special" spawns but they should be dynamic. Once a set amount have been harvested its gone. Of course after a pre determined time a new spawn can appear somewhere else to be discovered again. This speads the love a bit and promotes exploration.
    Hmm, that's a good idea. I actually think I read that on these forums somewhere.

hehe just noticed this, although i too am not a fan of people correcting grammar and spelling on gaming forums, and as a teacher mrcalhou you should be aware some people may have good reason, dyslexia for example. However! River, you actually have a "persona" that you use on forums that includes traits such as poor grammar and spelling? I think ive heard it all now!
    You are certainly correct about people having different learning modalities and needs when it comes to accomodating individual differences with regards to learning styles and disabilities; however the "your" thing is so prevelent on the internet that I would not think of it as being part of a disability. I apply the same thing to any "txting" or "internet" speech that students use in writing. For the most part I do not take off points for grammar issues, since I'm not an English teacher and my grammar isn't perfect, unless the grammar issues are so bad that I cannot understand what the student is trying to get across. I don't take off if the student uses "your" for "you're" but they do get a nice little comment about it. Then again, I also comment that they really should stop addressing the audience in their writing.

I agree with being able to build anywhere, as long as it's not on claimed tribe territory and only once buildings can be destroyed. Also, please let us replant trees?!

the "your" thing is so prevelent on the internet that I would not think of it as being part of a disability. I apply the same thing to any "txting" or "internet" speech that students use in writing. For the most part I do not take off points for grammar issues, since I'm not an English teacher and my grammar isn't perfect, unless the grammar issues are so bad that I cannot understand what the student is trying to get across. I don't take off if the student uses "your" for "you're" but they do get a nice little comment about it. Then again, I also comment that they really should stop addressing the audience in their writing.
    Your probably right . You should check out willbonney's "quotation marks"

Actually, coming from an Eve background, I absolutely believe in safe-zones. But all the zones in Eve that allow player-built structures are also PvP zones, as far as I know.
    I am pretty sure that after a while, town in current area will be there just to look pretty, and new resources will be available in "new land" by claiming land, and tribes will fight over that, build forts etc.

Problem is - theres no safe zones, towns or anything else unless player build em. If players have no ineterst in building them, world will be pretty barren. I say leave current area as is (high sec EvE), and make warfare around new lands and resources. (0.0 EvE)

I dont really get what the problem is, in other games you have "safe NPC towns" in Xsyon you have "safe player built towns". theres = between them.

Hmm, that's a good idea. I actually think I read that on these forums somewhere.
    Im actually more for static spawns that tribes want to hold an defend. Build warfare arond that.

Quote Originally Posted by MikaHR View Post
    I am pretty sure that after a while, town in current area will be there just to look pretty, and new resources will be available in "new land" by claiming land, and tribes will fight over that, build forts etc.

Problem is - theres no safe zones, towns or anything else unless player build em. If players have no ineterst in building them, world will be pretty barren. I say leave current area as is (high sec EvE), and make warfare around new lands and resources. (0.0 EvE)

Im actually more for static spawns that tribes want to hold an defend. Build warfare arond that.
    Maybe a mixture of the 2 options would work well. Static spawns of standard resources but make some area specific and dynamic spawns of other things, migratory animals/fish for example or herbs useful in cooking/healing

Maybe a mixture of the 2 options would work well. Static spawns of standard resources but make some area specific and dynamic spawns of other things, migratory animals/fish for example or herbs useful in cooking/healing
    Yah, could work, could even benefit soloers that happen to stumble on random/dynamic spawn and trade with tribes. Could be interesting.

Heh, were offtopic btw ;P

Your probably right . You should check out willbonney's "quotation marks"
    /twitch

Haha yeah I actually do. But if you think about it, really think about it, everyone in real life has thier own style right. The body ticks, the gestures (talking with your hands alot), The pauses we use when we speak, even the tone of our voice. These things help identify who we are when we speak and when we do these things it adds to the flavor, the style of our communications. However, on a purely writen, typed communications mediam like this, we dont have those things so our flavour goes away. All I do is try and bring that flavor out by giving a peronsa to my typing.

Using incorrect grammar is just like using it when you speak. If I were to put 'and' in alot you would get the idea I think. I just chose to do the your and I do a lot more y'all in my conversations, really is another one I like to use on this persona. Sometimes I use dude for them other times its man. One I transpose letters all the time and one I intentionally leave the g off every ing. In this case I like using your instead of you're as a way to get at some people. Sorry mrcalhou, but yeah it really was an intential thing to do exactly what it is doing to you.

Its all about adding to the who I am. But yeah I know, most people do not bother to add flavor to thier typing, they just type who they are where they are. I am not in game who I am in forums unless I really do want that to be the case. Its a choice by me, one I think does me well.