Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    If something is a "grind" to you, it is not fun. If you are playing the game and having fun doing it, it would not be grinding. If you constantly find yourself saying "Ugh, I don't want to grind this crap", there's a good chance you are not having fun, and you should find something else to do with your time. It's pretty simple. Also, you don't need to waste more time posting a thread about it. Just go do something else.

Thanks for giving your opinion about the game, I was desperately waiting to hear it, although I have no idea what you wanted to accomplish by posting this thread.

@Mrcalhou yes fact i sugest to make craft mini games
    (dont remember exact post)

About fishing ? Look wow fishing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUxMiEuvgLI
    Easy way to become dynamic and prevent simple easy macro

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...w-craft-boring
    I FOUND

I win a bet!

I knew 'grind' posts would begin before the end of march

and I assure you it will go on for years

Quote Originally Posted by Aldun View Post
    Now, seeing as I'm posting this on a site full of Xsyon fans I know I will get flames, but I hope to see a mature discussion and hopefully the devs can use this to improve their game, which can cause me to start playing again.

The game starts simple: you create a character and login. And now? You got not a clue what to do unless you go look to third party videos which shouldn't be the way to learn a new game. Yes, there's a manual, but that's quite different. You look to some videos, start foraging etcetera. After more than an hour of travel, 2 deaths and more cluelessness about everything I reach a tribe. Now what?

I could go fishing. Grinding.
    I could go Scavenging. Grinding. (Walk to some location, stare at a casting bar, walk a bit forward, stare at a casting bar etc).
    I could go foraging. Same story.
    I could go chopping. Same story.
    I could go Terraforming. Not really and perhaps the most fun thing, but it becomes mindnumbing very quickly.
    I could go crafting, but for that, you'll have to grind more than any game I've ever seen before.

Now, I know many people won't mind grinding. But the fact that it's simply staring at a casting bar 50% of the time, dropping items to make space 25% of the time and walking forward 25% of time time, just ain't fun. The physics don't look realistic which make it quite annoying as well, as well as the fact you actually have to have your mouse BENEATH the button you want to click for it to turn red and clickable (but I assume this gets fixed).
    Now you can start to build walls. So what? It's not like theres a threat of getting raided by animals or so. And if, -if-, somehow there's every a war they will simply come throuh your entrance.. There are no fighting skills (as in, action skills) the fighting isn't really spectacular either.

In short, the game is very confusing at start which will stop many newcomers, and it feels like a major grind without gaining anything for it. Because yes, you build a town, but 99% of the things you build seem to be purely cosmetic and useless. Put this together with a bad-responding UI, movement control and the graphics (square blocks as shadows from leaves??) I really don't like the game.
    This is more of a building game friend than a combat game.
    The game is about building communities and towns. Making your mark in a world that actually makes a difference.

I see what you mean about staring at a casting bar and grinding....but isnt every mmo pretty much the same thing just dressed up differently? i played Rift recently and found myself just going over the same mind numbingly boring quests that i have been for the last 5 years. all i seemed to be doing was watching my " kill 10 bears" count go up and nothing else! in Xyson we concentrate more on building and crafting than combat, only in Xyson what you do actually makes a difference.

As for the not knowing what to do! do you ever here the same old " bring back Everquest " argument? well ill tell you a little about me. EQ was the first ever mmo i played and still ranks as the best mmo experience i ever had...and possibly ever will. the reason for this is simple....i had no idea what to do! i mean at one point someone sent me a tell...i had no idea how this guy was speaking to me when he wasnt anywhere near me lol! Every step i made n that game was a learning experience and this is why many of us are enjoying Xyson so much....not everything is written out for you, you have to go and find out yourself.

This is no means a reason why you should like Xyson by the way. this is just why i love the game and the direction the game seems to be fired at.

Good luck finding your niche friend and sorry you didnt find Xyson to be your taste.

Can I have your stuff?

Oh wait, the game isn't even live yet, officially. Never mind.

Sandbox games do take a particular mindset that is different from the 'classic' MMO (read: WOW) mindset. It's the journey, not the destination. Yes, it does sound like this game is not right for you. But it is right for people with a more unrestricted vision of what an MMO can be. The very things that make this game different from the MMOs that are set up to run on a rail are what I like about Xsyon: the freeform nature, the fact that you aren't channeled into any one particular activity, the ability to actually affect the game world in lasting ways.

Normal MMORPG definitions:

Grind: Kill 20 rats for 100 experience each. Total 2,000 experience.
    Content: Talk to guy with glowing thingie over his head. Run to field of rats and kill 10 rats for 100 experience each. Run back to guy and get 1,000 experience. Total 2,000 experience.

In today's theme park games, I find the content less fun than grinding because the running back and forth is less engaging than killing the marginally challenging rats. Back in the day when the way to level was to sit in one spot and pull rats until the players were half dead of boredom, hunger or both, that too was a boring grind.

In Xsyon, I find no need to grind any one skill for long. My usual routine is to run a forage, scavenge, gathering route. Back at camp I see what can be made from the stuff I've found and put the rest into bins. Seldom do I repeat the same recipe more than 4-5 times in one route. This may be interrupted if a tribe member or neighbor needs a basket/tool/armor/weapon I can make. There are also occasional interruptions from four and two legged critters that need to be hunted and killed. If I get thirsty, I jog down to the stream where I might do a little fishing or make 20 or so bricks for the wall.

To be sure, getting a craft skill to a high level, scavenging to the point where I can find good stuff regularly, finishing a long masonry wall or any other tough goal will take a lot of repetitions, but in Xsyon I'm finding there is less grinding the same set of actions over and over than in the competition.

In Xsyon like the real world, you need to set your own goals or let your tribe set them for you. As others have said, if you need the guys with the glowing thingies to set your goals, this may not be the game for you.

Ravelli

Quote Originally Posted by thurgond View Post
    Normal MMORPG definitions:

Grind: Kill 20 rats for 100 experience each. Total 2,000 experience.
    Content: Talk to guy with glowing thingie over his head. Run to field of rats and kill 10 rats for 100 experience each. Run back to guy and get 1,000 experience. Total 2,000 experience.

In today's theme park games, I find the content less fun than grinding because the running back and forth is less engaging than killing the marginally challenging rats. Back in the day when the way to level was to sit in one spot and pull rats until the players were half dead of boredom, hunger or both, that too was a boring grind.

In Xsyon, I find no need to grind any one skill for long. My usual routine is to run a forage, scavenge, gathering route. Back at camp I see what can be made from the stuff I've found and put the rest into bins. Seldom do I repeat the same recipe more than 4-5 times in one route. This may be interrupted if a tribe member or neighbor needs a basket/tool/armor/weapon I can make. There are also occasional interruptions from four and two legged critters that need to be hunted and killed. If I get thirsty, I jog down to the stream where I might do a little fishing or make 20 or so bricks for the wall.

To be sure, getting a craft skill to a high level, scavenging to the point where I can find good stuff regularly, finishing a long masonry wall or any other tough goal will take a lot of repetitions, but in Xsyon I'm finding there is less grinding the same set of actions over and over than in the competition.

In Xsyon like the real world, you need to set your own goals or let your tribe set them for you. As others have said, if you need the guys with the glowing thingies to set your goals, this may not be the game for you.

Ravelli
    great post

Everything in life is a grind; it's just a matter of perspective.

Play the game...not the grind

The truthiness of this will be determined once we see the difference between a 100 skill toon and a 30 skill toon.

If the difference in noticeable, but not remarkeable...bravo. We probably wont see a play to grind.

If the difference is OMG I cANT COMPETE, well Houston, we have a problem...since then it will become a race to grind.

Personally i cant say i'm doing anything except for individual or tribe need. I craft when it's needed, fish and forage when i'm hungry, kill when i have the opportunity.

This could change in the future if the skill system has too much impact on performance (why should i got get in a fight against an opponent i know will wtfpwn me because i know he has maxed combat skills?).
    Again, hopefully this wont come to pass. would be bad for the game if it did imo.

Its too bad you don't like it. I think you are only looking at it superficially. You are only looking at the first phase of the game which is the rebuilding of mankind. Since there are no cities, these must be build up first and will take a couple of months (guessing). If you enjoy world building, this time will be for you. After that however, will come the politics, the trading, the questing through totems, and a host of other social interactions that will make the world come alive. If you don't like the earlier phase, I would recommend you take a look in a few months, and it may be a little less world building oriented.