Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ifireallymust View Post
    There isn't enough resources to go around. As you well know. And as you well know, a crafter can't craft, and a builder can't build much, and even a hunter or fighter can't do much without having access to a junkpile.

Once again, you tribes this benefit need to just admit, to yourselves, if not aloud, that this is fine with you because you aren't the ones getting screwed.

There is no rational, logical argument you can make beyond that, ultimately selfish one.
    I was always under the impression that the original design never included homesteads & they are rather recent development. Also, the game is designed on purpose to have limited resources. If Jordi wanted everyone to have everything all the time & never have any conflict, then every totem would come with its own small unlimited junk pile.

I know you homestead guys feel like you're getting bent over today, but I'm sure if the game is so horribly balanced against you once we're live...Jordi will do something. If anything, the last couple days have shown that he cares a lot about trying to please everyone as best he can.

Quote Originally Posted by baka77 View Post
    LOL That was just some tongue-in-cheek teasing, dear.

As I've mentioned, I hope to see some tangible benefits for warring tribes like special combat weapon/armor recipes that are superior to what non-warring tribes can make. Special defensive structures that are cooler looking & stronger than what the peaceful can create. It really only makes sense. The natural progression of technology has often been directly related to the development of better war machines throughout human history.

This can be accomplished by having recipes that require certain crafting apparatuses that can only be placed on war-flagged tribe land.

The carebears can frolic in their safe zones all they like, but I don't think they should expect to have all the cool bells & whistles of tribes that are willing to risk everything for a small advantage. There are always consequences for both action & in-action.
    I will argue that just because it is what I do. The progression of technology as it relates to war machines only happened after people started to settle. Once they really started to settle and take on peaceful pursuits like reading, writing. . science etc. is when it really started to take off. War drives the greatest inventions out of necessity but pulls from all of the peaceful practices that take place the rest of the time. THE US since Vietnam might be the exception since they have pretty much always been at war. . but look at where they are now economically.

Also consider this. Who risks less. . the tribe of warriors who want to PvP all day or the tribe of crafters if safe zones are turned off? PvPers plan combat and do crafting in their downtime. Crafters do the opposite.

If you would argue that warring tribes should get some cool armour etc. I would agree. I would also think that peaceful tribes focused on technology should get something as well. More wall types whatever. They are putting as much into the game playing they way they like.

I would chose PvP and a warring tribe because that is how I want to play. The reward you get is the fun of knowing someone could attack your tribe.. . hunting down and fighting and ultimately destroying a tribe that thinks they can handle it. . the reward is the chance to play the game you want. The reward for PvErs is the safety of their village and only their village mind you. Both playstyles are rewarded with the game they want.

Quote Originally Posted by meatypickle View Post
    What game has this? I have not seen any open PvP games that are like this.
    Darkfall: kill anyone anywhere AND come to their city, destroy it, burn it to the ground and take it from them. Penalties for PK are pretty much non-existant. Best PvP game ruined by terrible, unbearable grind.

Shadowbane (dead but almost revived via SBEmu): kill anyone anywhere AND come to their city, destroy it, burn it to the ground and either take it from them, OR wipe the hell off the map. Not only penalties for PK are non-existant, but there are actually rewards (except for loot), for example, you get experience for PKing another player. Best MMORPG ever, was when it started in 2002 and still is.

The only two games which are worth mentioning (besides UO) when you talk about open PvP world.

I was always under the impression that the original design never included homesteads & they are rather recent development. Also, the game is designed on purpose to have limited resources. If Jordi wanted everyone to have everything all the time & never have any conflict, then every totem would come with its own small unlimited junk pile.

I know you homestead guys feel like you're getting bent over today, but I'm sure if the game is so horribly balanced against you once we're live...Jordi will do something. If anything, the last couple days have shown that he cares a lot about trying to please everyone as best he can.
    I know he cares, or I would ask for my money back, shut up in disgust, and leave.

But I wish he'd never put homesteads in if he didn't intend to make solo play viable.

However, I don't think he came up with this idea in order to make solo play unviable. I hope not. Otherwise, I can't play. Or I can play, but in a PKer, nasty style that I really don't enjoy, and that no one I encounter will much enjoy, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethaeryn View Post
    If you would argue that warring tribes should get some cool armour etc. I would agree. I would also think that peaceful tribes focused on technology should get something as well. More wall types whatever. They are putting as much into the game playing they way they like.
    Funny enough, I just posted this exact same thing in another thread. War tribes will get faster access to combat-related crafting, while peace tribes will get faster access to social/world-building crafting (I chose the example of ping pong tables & fountain gardens lol). Either way, I think we're working toward some cool compromises.

If the crafters want to have the best gear to protect their gatherers in the field, let 'em flag up. Conversely, if a war tribe wants a cooler looking town with more social structures, they better start being nice & hope Jordi includes a means to become peaceful over time.

Funny enough, I just posted this exact same thing in another thread. War tribes will get faster access to combat-related crafting, while peace tribes will get faster access to social/world-building crafting (I chose the example of ping pong tables & fountain gardens lol). Either way, I think we're working toward some cool compromises.

If the crafters want to have the best gear to protect their gatherers in the field, let 'em flag up. Conversely, if a war tribe wants a cooler looking town with more social structures, they better start being nice & hope Jordi includes a means to become peaceful over time.
    That sounds great.

Obviously I can't be sure of this, but I'd suspect the reputation/alignment system will prevent people from "having their cake & eating it too." If a tribe/person goes to the expansion zones & raises some hell, I'd guess their "home" settlement status will change with the tribe's alignment. We really don't know how it's gonna be shaped at this point, though.

I'm not planning on going out to the wilds to raise hell. I'd be going out there to kill critters, get resources, and explore. I very much doubt I'll ever attack anyone in this game I don't have very good reason to think is about to attack me first. I'm just a nice guy like that and all :P

On the other hand, I've spent over 20 rl years playing multiplayer/mmo games on the internet. I can more than take care of myself

I have a couple of problem with the peace side of this. One is you can go from peace to war with a switch but not back to peace easily, so a peaceful tribe could build social structures and what not but then switch to war to start gettign all the war stuff. Second is when you flag for war you are risking your neck and having better tech is just a carrot for going to war; the peaceful aren't risking anything more than what everybody risks, why should they get buffs?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmoonstrike View Post
    I have a couple of problem with the peace side of this. One is you can go from peace to war with a switch but not back to peace easily, so a peaceful tribe could build social structures and what not but then switch to war to start gettign all the war stuff. Second is when you flag for war you are risking your neck and having better tech is just a carrot for going to war; the peaceful aren't risking anything more than what everybody risks, why should they get buffs?
    I guess one way around this is decay of items and loss of skills etc. . that is the only way I can see around what you mention. Once they go war they simply lose the peace recipies (these are bonus not core) and the things they have build are decaying. By the time they start learning new things their old stuff is crumbling.

OR the war stuff comes with actual combat experience. ie. war tribes gain experience for combat. . it would be exploited all to #$%# but there might be some way.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethaeryn View Post
    I guess one way around this is decay of items and loss of skills etc. . that is the only way I can see around what you mention. Once they go war they simply lose the peace recipies (these are bonus not core) and the things they have build are decaying. By the time they start learning new things their old stuff is crumbling.

OR the war stuff comes with actual combat experience. ie. war tribes gain experience for combat. . it would be exploited all to #$%# but there might be some way.
    Well the peaceful also likely will have the benefit of being trade hubs and will end up richer than a warring tribe (wars cost money, you need equips). I mean for me tech always seems to get better with competition and if the peaceful have a way to risk their stuff but in a peaceful way, maybe through trading or other big things that doesn't necessarily mean fighting then I totally agree with peace getting other game mechanic benefits. If not, they don't deserve rewards just for being peaceful.