View Poll Results: Would you like a map system similar to this?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

116 93.55%
  • No

8 6.45%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    sounds like a coding headache only jooky would be happy about.

Quote Originally Posted by nebmus View Post
    I like this idea a lot. I'm actually a little worried about finding people to trade with if there's no map system at all.
    that's what the forums are for.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithStone View Post
    that's what the forums are for.
    Forums are not for playing the game, they're for talking about the game. I hope with all my heart that this game does not turn into a forum game....

I think it is an outstanding idea, and very workable. I love it

I like this idea with a few exceptions.

I think you should be required to have the skill "cartographer" for mapping. At level 5 mapping would reveal no details of terrain, and the area mapped around the player would be a small radius. Then for higher levels, more details about the map are revealed - such as actual resources, resource quality, average rainfall, local trading posts, tribes and current policy, reported murders, etc.

And with higher cartographer skills comes more detailed maps, mapped out faster - these maps and copies would allow high level cartographers to trade for other goods needed relatively easy, as a highly detailed zone map would be very valuable -

And with terrain/tribes/ and resources constantly shifting - new maps might be required weekly or so

100% agree .. i used to be a cartographer at UO and always wondering why no other game had a skill like this . At least the games i have played

Just steal the cartography system from Haven and Hearth and call it a day

Drev

I was thinking about a map idea all last week, couldn't think of a solution that could effectively intergrate into the game, this one sounds perfect! Have some donuts with sprinkles sir. You earned them.

I like the idea of requiring a cartographer skill aswell, yes sir.

props to the OP, this idea is amazing +++

I agree with the idea of skilling up cartography or something similiar though. So a basic dude would just remember rivers, forests, cliffs etc. A trained cartographer/scout would be able to note those valuable resource spawns

I just wanted to bump this and get some more opinions. Right now, the coordinate system works okay, but there really needs to be a long-term, in-game solution to navigating the map.