Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NPC vendors are a good balance between being a trader and not having to stand around in your shop waiting for people to show up. Think of the NPC vendor as an employee of yours who's job it is to sell your goods while you work on more important things such as crafting and gathering.

Vendors did not come free in SWG. You had to reach a certain skill level as a crafter/trader to have one, and you had to pay a fee to keep them running (like paying an employee to work). Medium level traders had limits on their vendors too, as in how many vendors you could place, how many items the vendors could hold, etc. Higher level traders were able to place multiple NPC vendors in their shops, and even customize the look of them, place more items in them, etc.

Just food for thought. Everyone I know who ever played SWG loved this system for running their business.

I would keep in mind the limitations of issues that are being addressed, and systems which are in line for changes. In so doing I would keep my requests/wishs for the trade system as simple as possible, in an effort to make them simple to code and implement. I personally favor the trading sign idea, while it is simplistic it also suits the nature of the game, and I would venture it is alot less of an undertaking as a npc vendor .. or similar region Ah's.

Every tribe should have a trading sign .... but those signs should only be accessible by direct contact and word of mouth advertising.

There is also the side of me that wants trade to be completely player driven , with no assistance from the Developers of any kind. In that I have visions of regional player devised auctions , policed by alliances who host them where everyone in the region knows to come and browse goods. There would definately be chaos on some days ... but thats the game, that underlying threat of danger makes the game fun.

Player vendor/shop FTW!!!! nice times
    but also prefer auction

* to others idea to xsyon check mytopic ( sugest several good idea long time ago )

id like a sandbox type AH tool....perhapts a trading post (like a totem) that players could erect at the edge of their camp, and post what good they have to offer, what goods they are looking for, and how they intend to trade (using tribe currency or barter) People could then post replys in game with their offer, possibly attaching the goods to the mesege so the trade could be completed in the absense of both players....you could then return to the trade post and pick up your goods.

a global auction house wouldnt make sense, and all the AH NPC's were wiped out in the apocalypse anyway...right..?

However i think whats going to happen, is a trade section in the forums, which is already here....i hate those...

My idea consit in local auction house to deposit/witdraw item and global to search item
    but anyway , need others way to motivate trade

Quote Originally Posted by mindtrigger View Post
    One of my favorite things to do in SWG was set up "Outdoor Survival" shops where I would sell things that adventureres needed such as tents, foods, meds, fishing gear, pet foods and other such items. It was very themed and decorated to look like a hunting lodge/shop in the context of the game. People loved it.
    I love the idea of being able to set something like this up eventually. If a trade board directs them to my location via coords, great!

Xsyon Citizen
    I haven't tried as yet, but isn't there a quest option within the totem pole that allows you to set quests which have rewards? i.e. bring me one saw blade, reward is 20 fish. Effectively that's an NPC vendor.

If we didn't have any automated system (AH, NPC Vendor) we might see roaming player vendors or other systems prevail without the need for devs to hand a system to us...

Quote Originally Posted by Caffy View Post
    If we didn't have any automated system (AH, NPC Vendor) we might see roaming player vendors or other systems prevail without the need for devs to hand a system to us...
    Which would also make the need to hide bodyguards ( PvP-oriented characters ), plan trade routes ( can't go off trading forever with unlimited supplies ), and of course would create player reknown and push commerce along; even if it was only in bartering. The more player involvement and player-driven scenario's, the better a sandbox can be ( usually. There have been rare exceptions where this was counter-productive ).

I for one will be very happy to see if any players risk their wares for profit as they try to sell their items to tribes throughout the world. It would be a worthwhile, and admittedly very risky, business.

I am actually counting/hoping for large town based AH's in order to promote merchants being a realistic activity in game. Bringing people in from the region and from far to aggregate and maybe stop by the towns tavern and chat it up.