Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Salvadore you have a really good point. Perhaps you one of those people who like to glimpse into the feature. On the other hand, certain people just like to defend their position even it make a null one.

For example: 12367853678945823678995736578 Does anyone can figure what this means?

Quote Originally Posted by YamiOkami View Post
    Flogging a dead horse

Also a quote from spiderman.

"With boredom comes great idiocy."
    Keeping with the theme.

new players wont need a safe zone if the mechanics are available to secure a town.

which is the exact same dynamic we'd have now if we didnt' have them.

step 1. secure your spot. quickly. drop your homestead, but a fence around it. Lock it. Voila, anyone without seige equipment is locked out.

If you're hell bent on having safe zone it should be a very very small radius around the totem. like 10 feet. so only a small portion of the footprint is actually 'safe'.

but yeah, dead horse...unfortunatly that rotting corpse is all we've got until we get some new meat.

Quote Originally Posted by joexxxz View Post
    Salvadore you have a really good point. Perhaps you one of those people who like to glimpse into the feature. On the other hand, certain people just like to defend their position even it make a null one.
    Thanks, as shown here. I've seen it too many times in too many games. We obviously all want this to succeed, thus why we are still posting here!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    new players wont need a safe zone if the mechanics are available to secure a town.
    The exact point I was getting at.

I keep reading that it is possible to punish criminals in this game. I disagree - one death, or a hundred deaths, is not punishment.

You want to make it so the folks would accept the ability to punish criminals? Give us the ability to capture someone who has committed a crime and lock them in a cell and KEEP THEM THERE FOR MONTHS.

THAT would be punishment. As it currently stands, I'm sorry, there is no real ability to punish people for crimes and as long as they are paying customers, there never will be, because nobody will pay to sit in prison.

See, thing is, in the real world when someone gets punished for a crime, they are not then free to go commit that crime again for quite some time - possibly ever, if they are executed. It's real nice that the folks who want safe zones to go away have this fantasy whereby killing them back is a deterrent, but it is just that - fantasy. There is no criminal punishment that can be executed in a game without the criminals becoming a bunch of whiney *bleep*s.

Quote Originally Posted by cliff View Post
    See, thing is, in the real world when someone gets punished for a crime, they are not then free to go commit that crime again for quite some time - possibly ever, if they are executed. It's real nice that the folks who want safe zones to go away have this fantasy whereby killing them back is a deterrent, but it is just that - fantasy. There is no criminal punishment that can be executed in a game without the criminals becoming a bunch of whiney *bleep*s.
    Yeah...that's one of the problems with making players of a game the policemen/women. The only way to make players care about being criminals or not is to put some in-immersive game mechanic in to make them stop every now and then.

However, I think that having no actual safe zones in the sense of "you can't attack because the gods say so" will probably be gone. New players will start out in Good or Neutral towns...where those players in those towns will be willing to help. Will those be safe zones? Maybe, maybe not. I seriously think the only way to really accomplish safety and hostility balance is to have an outside area with higher quality resources (including creatures/scavenging and foraging returns) and something like a 72 hour safe-zone period on totem placement with a week long cooldown on totem removal. <--don't take that 100% seriously. That or make the whole area free build and no designated totem.

I could live with that, it sounds like an adaptation of EvE's nullspace concept... higher risk for higher reward.

Dawntide (in open ....alpha) right now already has that in a medieval/fantasy setting. I just haven't played it in forever because of the fact that combat syncing is almost non-existant.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    Yeah...that's one of the problems with making players of a game the policemen/women. The only way to make players care about being criminals or not is to put some in-immersive game mechanic in to make them stop every now and then.

However, I think that having no actual safe zones in the sense of "you can't attack because the gods say so" will probably be gone. New players will start out in Good or Neutral towns...where those players in those towns will be willing to help. Will those be safe zones? Maybe, maybe not. I seriously think the only way to really accomplish safety and hostility balance is to have an outside area with higher quality resources (including creatures/scavenging and foraging returns) and something like a 72 hour safe-zone period on totem placement with a week long cooldown on totem removal. <--don't take that 100% seriously. That or make the whole area free build and no designated totem.
    Thats pretty reasonable...altho the temp totem cooldown thing is, while great at first blush, at a second glance pretty abuseable.

Late player behavior be channeled...if the risk/reward is out yonder, there is very little reason for players to be hanging back in the rear with the new joins...except fora few dedicated asshats, but they'll always be there (doing some type of asshattery) whether it's pvp related or not.

The problem with the game in its current state is that there is simply nothing to do, nothing to focus player attention on once they build their sand castle.

and there is no risk for pvp because gear is mostly worthless. In most games, a gearless tone is laughable...and to be gearless is to be impotent. Here, being geared is like being a midievil knight...sans horse...a lumbering object waiting to die.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    Dawntide (in open ....alpha) right now already has that in a medieval/fantasy setting. I just haven't played it in forever because of the fact that combat syncing is almost non-existant.
    i lasted for 15 minutes in that game a couple months back. not an example for anything positive imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    i lasted for 15 minutes in that game a couple months back. not an example for anything positive imo.
    lol....yeah. But they already have risk and reward and reason for pvp and gear working etc... magic. Archery maybe. Just unplayable last time I tried. That and combat is classic turn-based style.