Page 24 of 57 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    March 27 2011 3:00 AM PST

Hello everyone!

Just a quick note: There are some disconnection issues right now, possibly orginating at our hosting data center. This is not affecting all players, but many are affected (including me!). I've contacted our hosts to see what's going on and I expect this will be resolved soon.

We are working primarily on improving the patcher and patch system this weekend in addition to some continued improvements to the server and client. I expect to update everything on Monday!

March 29 2011 5:30 PM PST

Hello everyone!

I took the opportunity while the server was down to patch out and important update today.

This update focuses on frame rate improvements and fixing critical bugs.

There were several issues, in particular with lights and effects from many camp fires that were slowing down the frame rate in many areas. I hope you will all notice a big improvement with this update! We measured big changes on our systems and will continue with more optimizations.

We are done with server optimizations for now and will shift our focus to:

1) Improvements to the patching system that are almost done.

2) 'Baking' the terraforming changes on a regular schedule. These will be done once the patching system is updated and will greatly reduce loading times and improve sector crossings.

3) Continued graphics and frame rate optimizations.

3) A revised creature AI system that is currently being tested.

4) New combat system.

5) Feature improvements and additions!

I will be monitoring and in contact with the Guides, awaiting feedback on the frame rate.

Enjoy!

April 1 2011

Hello everyone!

We are currently working very hard on optimizing loading (in particular loading of terrain changes) to reduce the long loading times and eliminate the lag times while crossing zones. Baking the terrain as planned would eliminate most of the current loading issues, but we've designed a better long term solution. This is being implemented in steps and tested on the test server. It might take a few days for the next update, but we'll keep working through the weekend as usual until this problem is solved.

The order page will be disabled briefly tonight for an update.

We also will shut down the server for 30-60 minutes tonight so that I can transfer the current game data to the test server. I will announce this with a few hours of advance warning.

April 2 2011

Hello everyone!

The server will be down from 6:00 AM PST to 7:00 AM PST so that we can transfer the current data to the test server. I apologize for interrupting the game today at this hour, but we really need the current data copied so that we can better test our changes to loading and crossing sectors.

Thanks!

April 2 2011

The server is back up. I will post an update on our progress on the loading and zone crossing issues tonight.

April 3 2011

Hello everyone!

Not much news tonight, but I want to keep everyone updated. We've made some improvements with loading and zone crossing, but have a few more optimizations to implement and test. We need to test our changes thoroughly before patching out the next update.

We're very concentrated on this so that's all for now!

April 5 2011

A quick update for this morning. We will be shutting down the server for 1 hour daily (as we did this morning) for routine server maintenance. Today we're continuing our tests optimizing loading, in particular while crossing zones as well as testing changes to creature AI. Things are looking good, but we do need to test our new changes as thoroughly as possible before the next update. I expect the next public update will be tomorrow or after.

Enjoy!

April 14 2011

Hello everyone!

We've finally patched out the latest server and client update. Eliminating the zone crossing lag required big changes that we needed to test thoroughly this past week. This is a major build on the server side and we will be able to patch out more frequent small updates over the next two weeks.

Our new programmers have helped make many optimizations and server improvements, so this build prepares us for changes ahead. I'm really looking forward to the coming months as we start to evolve Xsyon!

In this update:

- New creature AI system with an improved creature behavior system.
    - Zone crossing lag eliminated.
    - Zone loading times reduced.
    - Packets compressed and optimized for reduced bandwidth usage and overal better performance.
    - Timing out of crashed players improved to avoid the 'already timed out' messages.
    - Bug causing some players to scavenge unusual items such as felled trees fixed.
    - Many small bugs fixed.

In progress:

- All creatures will be in game soon. We have a few minor behavior variable adjustments to make and test.
    - Finalizing a decay system for crafted items.
    - Faster tree growth and surface generation system. This will include scrap pile generation.
    - Server and client memory use optimization.
    - Revised patcher with improved compression for smaller downloads.

These are things we expect to patch out with then next week or two. We are formulating a plan right now for the next 6 weeks and I will post the details as soon as everything has been discussed with the team.

Enjoy!

April 14 2011 8:00 PM PST

Hello everyone,

Those of you playing today know that we are experiencing frequent server crashes today with this build. We didn't have this problem on the test server so we are working as hard as possible to find out exactly what is causing this.

We're focused entirely on this issue right now. If the crashes continue over the next few hours, we may rollback to the previous build to see if the crashes are due to something that's changed on the server.

April 15 2011 9:30 AM PST

Hello everyone,

I've patched out a build that allows all players to connect to the test server. Please join us on the test server if you like.

The database on the test server is a copy of the main database from 2 days ago. What we are primarily testing is players logging on and off repeatedly, in particular players that log in twice from the same computer. We are also testing players logging in while others are crossing zones. So the main things we need players to test are:

- Cross zone boundaries repeatedly.

We have not yet been able to reproduce a server crash on the test server. We are currently running a debug build that will help us gather more detailed information. Your help testing this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!