Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTaldren View Post
    Perhaps we should remove the name that floats above your head then as well? This way you have to type, "Hey guy, what's your name?"

I've been against immersion-breaking elements as much as the next guy. But, if you look at this from a character/role-play perspective, your character should be able to recognize whether someone is in his/her tribe. It shouldn't always be a constant question of "who is that." As for the name color, I'd prefer that signify the difference between Good, Evil, and Neutral.
    Exactly, you shouldn't even be able to see some ones name until they tell you, there should be a friend command(not friends list) that lets them tell you who they are.

I dont understand what the need is for players to turn this game into some thing else its not. This game is hard, its a hard life in here, things are not handed to you on a silver platter. you will not be welcomed at every camp you journey into.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandali View Post
    How is this a bad thing? If an alliance/tribe is so disorganized it needs "coloured names" to be effective and it's members so trigger happy they kill one another, then whose fault is that, certainly not the games!
    It's a bad thing if it stifles an entire system of combat. This game is supposed to have some sort of city seiging involved, there should be some dynamic warfare, people should be spending their time seiging the city, killing enemy players...not walking up to someone one by one asking what their name is. I like having a tough game, but there's a fine line between tough and retarded. Adding some sort of differentiation can only make an already poor PVP system better.

Agreed with OP. As we've been saying in the other thread, this is not immersion breaking, it is simply a more useful arm of the current level of immersion.

If this is so gamebreaking for you (though I can't understand how it is, given that names already display and the moment you say 'hi' in local 518975 people can tell your name), I propose two compromises:

An opt-in system. I don't want my alliance members from killing me, so we all tag up; this can be togglable if felt fair, and is simply meeting the fact that the game is NOT anywhere near realistic in that people don't walk differently, move differently, talk in different accents etc. etc. and subtle things like bird calls or whatever cannot be used, so getting close enough to see an alliance tag can be seen to be passing that kind of a check. It's certainly no less immersive than what's currently allowed.

Change it entirely. ONLY show your tribe and don't show your name. Tribe is FAR more important than name in most dynamics anyway, and can easily be explained as recognition of craftsmanship, behaviour patterns, similar movements etc. etc. etc...

Of equal importance to this really, is to have a REAL local chat, preferably that does not even show your name. I'm thinking like the speech bubbles in SWG, but without the scrolling text in the chat window of that also... This would allow a more realistic way of calling 'friend or foe' and sacrificing your location to your potential target, without telling 500 people in 10 miles radius that you're in the area and hunting, and without even telling your potential target what your character name is.

i dont want it, just want to see the names of my tribemembers

I fully support a call for tribe tags to be displayed when one is close enough to see a person's name.

No, it's not realistic to see names floating above people's heads. But neither is it realistic for there to only be what, 12 different faces (or thereabouts), across the population. You have to get quite close to see a person's name. Given the ability to see the person's tribe affiliation at the same range would not hurt any more than it hurt seeing their name.

We humans are made to recognize faces, not names. And in games recognizing faces is basically useless since each face is repeated ad infinitum on other characters. If the possibility of creating a unique tribe uniform or tribe-specific, unique item that would identify you as the member of one specific tribe existed, I'd support that instead of tribe tags over people's heads. But I don't see that being included anytime soon.

No, no and no. Learn to talk to people to see what tribe they are in.The pop in this game is low so therefore you need to get to know people.

I like the no tags thing adds realism
    No names would be good too though it would be hard as you can grief under one name and reap the rewards of not being a griefer (trade) under another

The only thing i could see as acceptable is having a different color of name for tribe members, that's visible to only tribe members and to increase the name range on tribe members only for members of that tribe.

period, no floating names of your clan, no floating identifiers and things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by xyberviri View Post
    The only thing i could see as acceptable is having a different color of name for tribe members, that's visible to only tribe members and to increase the name range on tribe members only for members of that tribe.

period, no floating names of your clan, no floating identifiers and things like that.
    done and done

All this confusion regarding who to attack in melee combat? Wait until you get archery!