Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Soloers are choosing an outcast lifestyle in a dangerous world where there is strength in numbers. Nature itself evolved many creatures in groups so they could protect the pack (or Tribe). By going solo, you are exposing yourself to more danger, and you need to own up to that. It may be that the way you can best operate solo in this game is to be nomadic. I don't know, only time will tell.

As I have said in other threads, I think solo play will be very interesting to see and experience. It is probably going to be the most difficult way to play the game, and that is as it should be in my opinion. I have no doubt that people will figure out how to do it very, very well.

Quote Originally Posted by mindtrigger View Post
    Soloers are choosing an outcast lifestyle in a dangerous world where there is strength in numbers. Nature itself evolved many creatures in groups so they could protect the pack (or Tribe). Be going solo, you are exposing yourself to more danger, and you need to own up to that. It may be that the way you can best operate solo in this game is to be nomadic. I don't know, only time will tell.

As I have said in other threads, I think solo play will be very interesting to see and experience. It is probably going to be the most difficult way to play the game, and that is as it should be in my opinion.
    I always expected it to be the most difficult way. I relish it. But without resources, it's not difficult, it's simply impossible. You tribes, forced into this crowded, one server, tiny world, will fence off every resource from us, and if we try to claim a resource, you will grief us (by whatever name you want to call it) until we move.

There is a difference between a harsh, difficult play style and an unviable one. If a tribe can fence a smaller group or solo player completely out or in, the play style goes from harsh and difficult to simply impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by ifireallymust View Post
    I always expected it to be the most difficult way. I relish it. But without resources, it's not difficult, it's simply impossible. You tribes, forced into this crowded, one server, tiny world, will fence off every resource from us, and if we try to claim a resource, you will grief us (by whatever name you want to call it) until we move.

There is a difference between a harsh, difficult play style and an unviable one. If a tribe can fence a smaller group or solo player completely out or in, the play style goes from harsh and difficult to simply impossible.
    Agreed maybe a mechanic that stops you from being encircled by a fence more than 50%? and only being able to fence you out of the main area of the tribe. Who knows though maybe they will be friendly to you and allow you to stay independent for a tax?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmoonstrike View Post
    Agreed maybe a mechanic that stops you from being encircled by a fence more than 50%? and only being able to fence you out of the main area of the tribe. Who knows though maybe they will be friendly to you and allow you to stay independent for a tax?
    I'm not paying a tax to some tribe, that's just as bad as joining them. And it's a dull, monochrome world you guys are getting, too. Even if I don't stay and relentlessly kill you every time I catch you alone, you'll reap what you sow, because you'll be bored out of your mind in a month, and your eyes will be bored well before that, as you look out on a vast suburb of villages without a single lone campfire to be seen anywhere.

Know who is really going to love this change?

The RMT crowd. Prime real estate, on sale now to tribes of 10 and up! In a resource-scarce, crowded up game, where your character is determines its value. I'm sure accounts will be on sale in no time. Lake view. Junk pile, resource starved neighbors.

Disgusting.

I'm not paying a tax to some tribe, that's just as bad as joining them. And it's a dull, monochrome world you guys are getting, too. Even if I don't stay and relentlessly kill you every time I catch you alone, you'll reap what you sow, because you'll be bored out of your mind in a month, and your eyes will be bored well before that, as you look out on a vast suburb of villages without a single lone campfire to be seen anywhere.

Know who is really going to love this change?

The RMT crowd. Prime real estate, on sale now to tribes of 10 and up! In a resource-scarce, crowded up game, where your character is determines its value. I'm sure accounts will be on sale in no time. Lake view. Junk pile, resource starved neighbors.

Disgusting.
    Wow man their is just no compromise with you. I respect that in a way but it can be annoying lol. Well since no compromise with you....

Deal with it the current mechanics, fight to change them, or move on. Those are your current choices. You wish to play like an outcast and a rebel or whatever quit bitching because it's not easier for soloers. You keep insulting those who choose to team up and choose to cooperate. This is a post-apoc world, you survive by any means possible or you die. Not our fault you choose to play solo. Move into the mountains away from all groups and live a happy hermit life. If you die and have nothing to fall back on and no one to trust because you were too stubborn, its not my fault but yours. Honestly at this point I have no really clue what you're argument is about. If you're really worried about not getting your place wait a few months when the green mist opens up, thier will be space aplenty by then.

Right now we only have 10% of the total space.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmoonstrike View Post
    Wow man their is just no compromise with you. I respect that in a way but it can be annoying lol. Well since no compromise with you....

Deal with it the current mechanics, fight to change them, or move on. Those are your current choices. You wish to play like an outcast and a rebel or whatever quit bitching because it's not easier for soloers. You keep insulting those who choose to team up and choose to cooperate. This is a post-apoc world, you survive by any means possible or you die. Not our fault you choose to play solo. Move into the mountains away from all groups and live a happy hermit life. If you die and have nothing to fall back on and no one to trust because you were too stubborn, its not my fault but yours. Honestly at this point I have no really clue what you're argument is about. If you're really worried about not getting your place wait a few months when the green mist opens up, thier will be space aplenty by then.

Right now we only have 10% of the total space.
    I think he's jumping the gun a little too. He makes it sound like there will be tribe on top of tribe, which will certainly be true in some areas, but not the whole map. I'm also sure there will be a large influx of people at launch, then some will leave. This is on top of the fact that the devs are planning to open up more land by April, which is right around the corner. Does anyone really think every inch of this game will be covered by people?

He's going to have a hard time competing with tribes in resource rich areas, and that is only natural. As a solo player, he will be doing a lot more running (to resources, and from people who want to kill him). Like he said, he relishes the challenge.

I would also like to point out that solo players are going to want to find Tribes to become friends with for resources. You don't have to live with them, and hell, you don't even have to like them, but you can USE them for your needs. Even hermits have to go into town once in a while for supplies.

I envision tribes having lists of trusted people who are soloers and nomads that they do business with, and they will agree not to attack them and enforce this agreement with their tribe members.

I'm sorry, but if you plan to play this game solo and not deal with a single other person or tribe, you are in for a rough, rough ride. Embrace it or soften your position some.

I think he's jumping the gun a little too. He makes it sound like there will be tribe on top of tribe, which will certainly be true in some areas, but not the whole map. I'm also sure there will be a large influx of people at launch, then some will leave. This is on top of the fact that the devs are planning to open up more land by April, which is right around the corner. Does anyone really think every inch of this game will be covered by people?

He's going to have a hard time competing with tribes in resource rich areas, and that is only natural. As a solo player, he will be doing a lot more running. Like he said, he relishes the challenge.
    Spend four hours running through green mist at the edges of the map only to find tribe on top of tribe piled up even there. I just did. It will open your eyes to how bad the situation really is. Until then, I can't argue it with you, because you don't know how rare it is to stumble on a good place to settle.

I have finally, after hours and hours, found one. This one space might be taken on launch day. Then what do I do? I'll have trucked my character out here to the edge of this damn map, to sit on a little junk pile by a river, and if I don't log on before 10 people do, all of whom will have priority in a huge radius that will negate my attempt to place my totem, then what?

I won't have a backup location, I can't, because I will already be out in this damn mist, trying to place. And by the time I get to anywhere else, all the places I could live on will be gone.

Not viable.

But we'll see. On launch day, I'm going to try to get a spot. If I do get fenced in, fine. I'll stay on my pile and grind until I have all the skills and resources necessary to move to a location that isn't fenced. Then I'll relentlessly pester guides to get me out with my biggest basket on my back, since obviously I'll be trapped until one is willing to do me the grand favor of teleporting my soloing butt over the fence. (That's if they happen to have fixed unstuck by then).

At which point I will feel free to make whatever tribe was foolish enough to fence me pay quite dearly for doing so.

But if I can't place on launch day because there is no where to place, I don't know what I'll do. PK til I get bored, I guess.

It sucks. This really, really sucks. And I don't think I'm overreacting. RPing a tad bit plus venting, but not overreacting. Because most of us solo players are going to get screwed on launch day, and we won't have recourse to a backup plan.

Spend four hours running through green mist at the edges of the map only to find tribe on top of tribe piled up even there. I just did. It will open your eyes to how bad the situation really is. Until then, I can't argue it with you, because you don't know how rare it is to stumble on a good place to settle.

I have finally, after hours and hours, found one. This one space might be taken on launch day. Then what do I do? I'll have trucked my character out here to the edge of this damn map, to sit on a little junk pile by a river, and if I don't log on before 10 people do, all of whom will have priority in a huge radius that will negate my attempt to place my totem, then what?

I won't have a backup location, I can't, because I will already be out in this damn mist, trying to place. And by the time I get to anywhere else, all the places I could live on will be gone.

Not viable.

But we'll see. On launch day, I'm going to try to get a spot. If I do get fenced in, fine. I'll stay on my pile and grind until I have all the skills and resources necessary to move to a location that isn't fenced. Then I'll relentlessly pester guides to get me out with my biggest basket on my back, since obviously I'll be trapped until one is willing to do me the grand favor of teleporting my soloing butt over the fence. (That's if they happen to have fixed unstuck by then).

At which point I will feel free to make whatever tribe was foolish enough to fence me pay quite dearly for doing so.

But if I can't place on launch day because there is no where to place, I don't know what I'll do. PK til I get bored, I guess.

It sucks. This really, really sucks. And I don't think I'm overreacting. RPing a tad bit plus venting, but not overreacting. Because most of us solo players are going to get screwed on launch day, and we won't have recourse to a backup plan.
    You are creating some very elaborate scenarios here purely out of your imagination, and you have zero basis for them. Why don't you wait until after launch and you play a while and see what happens.

By the way, I went up to the mist where my tribe was, and I ran for about 1.5 hours only seeing a few settlements. I find it hard to believe you have walked the entire map and seen tribes covering the whole thing.

You also should understand that a lot of people have been experimenting with totems since another wipe is coming. I think a lot of those will go away when people get to join their tribes finally.

You are creating some very elaborate scenarios here purely out of your imagination, and you have zero basis for them. Why don't you wait until after launch and you play a while and see what happens.

By the way, I went up to the mist where my tribe was, and I ran for about 1.5 hours only seeing a few settlements. I find it hard to believe you have walked the entire map and seen tribes covering the whole thing.

You also should understand that a lot of people have been experimenting with totems since another wipe is coming. I think a lot of those will go away when people get to join their tribes finally.
    We shall see, won't we? But the fact remains, regardless of whether I place a totem or not, being able to fence a solo player or small tribe into your tribe land is a mechanic that should not exist.

Been just watching and reading here for couple weeks now, and I'm not sure what the big issue is here really. Are we all concerned that if we place our homestead near an unfriendly tribe, and we know from the start that they are unfriendly to us, that we should be protected from them when they grow and we do not? The way I see it, if you know your near a tribe that doesn't like you, why exactly are you there in the first place?

And the argument of no space idea, this is not an issue really. Not every parcel of land has to have its own scrap pile, its own river, and its own bear cave for you to hunt on without leaving your tribe/clan/homestead. Learn to share with your neighbors really.

Do you really need to have your own 25 baskets full of every possible material, right next to your neighbors 25 baskets full of the same thing, right next to his neighbor with his 25 baskets of the same thing? Just because your on a homestead does not mean you have to be an anti-social hermit that runs around screaming MINE! MINE!!.

So your a basket maker on your homestead, and your neighbor is a leathercrafter, trade him some baskets for some armor. Let him collect the leather from the scrap pile and you collect the grass. Work togther, trade with those around you. Nobody HAS to be everything up front. A cohesive community of 6-8 homesteads can be just as viable as a clan of 8 all on one peice of land. Talk, work together.

Best spot I have been in yet, 4 homesteads all built AROUND a scrap pile with none of them actually owning it in thier land. Everyone left thier borders just on the edge so we could all use it. And we all just grabbed what we needed form it and shared with the others for things we couldnt make ourselves.

As for the tribes engulfing homesteads, ok. If your an enemy of your surrounding people then yeah I'd expect your going to have a hard time, just like in real life actually. If you live on a culdisac and one of the people that lives there is a disruptive jerk, never mows his lawn, and drives 60 MPG down the road when your kids are outside playing, then most likely he is going to have issues with everyone there. And if they have a homeowners association they can get you to leave, or harrass you until you do. Why should it be any different here.

But if your friendly to your tribe neighbors, and trade with them all the time, I see this as a boon to the homesteader. Hell, if you as a tribe have to have my tiny plot of land inside your walls, as long as I'm a good tenant who doesn't cause no problems, then where is the issue? Not like I can't have my own tiny home in a huge tribe anyway. Most actually do allow it. You build your one house, you store your stuff inside it, it just happens to be on tribal land.