Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by prokop15 View Post
    Not sure how you figure this disproves what you're implying it disproves. Wouldnt it do the opposite?
    No, they said that if they wanted to promote the game, they'd do it themselves rather than ask for us to do it for them. Another words, if they really wanted to rack up money with pre-orders, they would of. It's not like this game hasn't progressed so I don't get what's all this bitching about.

Quote Originally Posted by REVKhA View Post
    When can I expect this project to feel like a game ? or is it just a virtual sandbox with no gaming or rpg elements ? I do not expect this to launch anytime soon and hopefully after the holidays this game gets some gameplay elements to make this whole true open sandbox a game as well and not some virtual world with no meaning.
    This is a valid question.

I enjoy hanging out in Xsyon but where is the hook?
    I'm playing the game now and I hope to play come release day.
    Though I'm past the days of playing a sandbox where the 1st question of new players revolves around, "So what am I supposed to do here, where's the game?".

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamin View Post

Though I'm past the days of playing a sandbox where the 1st question of new players revolves around, "So what am I supposed to do here, where's the game?".
    Just like every game, Xsyon will be about competition which we don't see much of yet. So far there is no land disputes, pvp system, good combat system, and even resource depletion. Even some meters for our characters don't work yet. It's no wonder why it's lacking attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamin View Post

I couldnt agree with this more. Give them a few small goals to focus on, then they can fend for themselves. But right now they are dropped on a world and have no idea how to do anything, what to do, nor where to go.
    Plus the tools they are given they cant even do anything with normally unless getting help from others.

So to me its like, I install the game then log in, make a toon using stats I have no idea how they will effect me. Then I start up and go "What do I do now?" Normally they will wonder about, try a few things but after that there isnt much to do. No focus, no drive nothing. Only the people that really want to tough it out will keep playing and not be upset.
    Plus as a new toon, you are very easy to get lost or and tired, unable to feed yourself. It can be very disconcerting.

Revkha - I agree with your questions. I think the basic answer is "they are coming", but there has been quite a bit of unforeseen problems with server performance etc. A release date of last April was horribly misplaced considering the size of the Dev team and the fact that so few of the features had been tested. I have no problem with that personally, and I was also very wary after the BS that was/is Mortal Online. I would totally understand anyone who is not happy with the delay.

The only bit I disagree with is "what is there to do?". You can build your own society. From scratch. Terrain, housing, rules, laws, hierachy, quests etc. That is feckin amazing for those of us that are into that sort of thing. I can't think of another game that comes close to that level of sandbox except perhaps EVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Luculus View Post
    Revkha - I agree with your questions. I think the basic answer is "they are coming", but there has been quite a bit of unforeseen problems with server performance etc. A release date of last April was horribly misplaced considering the size of the Dev team and the fact that so few of the features had been tested. I have no problem with that personally, and I was also very wary after the BS that was/is Mortal Online. I would totally understand anyone who is not happy with the delay.

The only bit I disagree with is "what is there to do?". You can build your own society. From scratch. Terrain, housing, rules, laws, hierachy, quests etc. That is feckin amazing for those of us that are into that sort of thing. I can't think of another game that comes close to that level of sandbox except perhaps EVE.
    Wurm, and A tale in the desert by far.

Also, there are some that are able to push past the basic need to be told what to do, but its not all that many. Most need to be at least shown a little of what they can do, then they will catch on. Leaving it up to the new player to figure out what they want to do in a sandbox is hard. But you give them a few tools, and show them a few small tricks and off they go. Next thing you know they are making huge sand castles and having fun.

But if you just sit them in sand with water sprayer, bucket and knife. Then tell them have at it make some stuff. They will be bored in mins.

I'm confused, Do we want a sandbox, or something somewhat like a sandbox?

What you are talking about now is not having your hand held(Being told what to do). Which is surprising, As I'm a carebear and I don't want my hand held. The unknown is what this game is supposed to be about. At lest I thought that it was about the unknown.

So what do you want, An NPC to tell you what to do and how to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by aliksteel View Post

What you are talking about now is not having your hand held(Being told what to do). Which is surprising, As I'm a carebear and I don't want my hand held. The unknown is what this game is supposed to be about. At lest I thought that it was about the unknown.

Please define your sandbox. It is clear to me that your definition of a sandbox would be different than my definition of a sandbox. I define a sandbox as a game that gives players different ways in which they can advance in the game while also not making them follow a pre-defined path in order to do so. I also consider games that have an open world environment that lets me complete tasks at my pace to be sandbox. This does not mean that a game cannot have an over-arching story, but rather that I can go about playing the game without having to do the story stuff until I want to. In a nutshell: A sandbox is a game that gives the players options. Some games I consider sandboxes include: Eve-Online, Fallout 3 and New Vegas (I haven't played the first two), The Elder Scroll Series, and the Grand Theft Auto series.

In my opinion, having NPCs does not take away a game's ability to be a sandbox. Neither does having a sort of tutorial to introduce players to some of the mechanics that they will run into.

Please... if you think i want to make a bad name out of this project you are insanely wrong. I gave away a music album for free (no license) that album too more than a year to complete... not counting the years of experience. Sure it wasn't a tribal oriented album but a space ambient project (good for the night) but the intention is there. I want this project to survive more than you can imagine (Neocron 3 is ways off , Black Prophecy is pretty boring, cannot find any good games out there).

What i meant is that i want to play this game but there is no game yet . The tools, items and buildings have no statistics , no condition, no quality, no information about them. The armor has no resistance buffs against anything , there is no way to spec properly except with trial and error which makes no sense. There needs to be some basic rpg elements for this game to feel like a game , i do not like tradeskilling that much, i'm more of an explorer and killer/hunter as well as someone who like repairing, upgrading, maintaining and such, and right now those functions are nowhere near the acceptable state.

When there is more animals and pop up information in the char creation (i am against a 3rd party manual, we need all the information in game since the devs want us to find about all the secrets... it needs to be centralized and focus should be in game, not in some third party pdf but i do not condemn people who did that manual at all) the game might feel like a game. There needs to be a way to look at item information. Buildings should 'buff' tradeskills and such. There needs to be a label system on containers. There needs to be a full logistic aspect to the game (carts, horses, etc).

There is a whole lot still missing to the game, while i might be ranting , you should see it as somehow being impatient to play the full Xsyon. I just hope they can pull it off, this game needs a lot more work and i'm starting to wonder if they have enough cash to finnish this huge project. You have to realise that these features they announced is why people have joined. There is a lot to do still and this game is a huge project but we are getting there sooner or later it's just that the pace of improvement is somehow not regular and it seems that progress stales sometimes.

The combat is somehow acceptable right now but will eventually need a major overhaul sooner or later. I just hope that the missing features get implemented real fast so that the game feels like a game and people will play it more regularly because right now there is no point to grind , there is so much of the big picture missing. I can run for 15 minutes and i am at the mist. There is no mystery to the game yet because it feels like a shoebox more than a sandbox. I want to go and explore and fight some special beasts and bring back what i gush out of it to my tribe. I want to make roads and connect tribes to diplomacy and roleplay.

This current economy is almost a joke... everyone will farm for various worthless currency without any having a real function. It seems that old official statements (dollar = currency and people start with 50 or 100 iirc) are no longer valid and that things change all the time. I am open to this but with a game that's supposed to have people 'discovering' things there is also a major problem with all these sudden changes.

I just want the game to be clear and simple but with such a complex rpg/rts/fps project there is a whole lot of hardcore elements to it and that's why i am here because true open sandbox games are not simple although we can simplify the rules and objectives.

Looking forward to a couple of big updates where i can find the missing features and then the current project might start to feel like a real game and not a virtual world with no meaning. I guess time will tell , like it did in the past 9 months. My guess is that this game will start to really shape up in mid-summer 2011 and maybe feel complete in about 9-12 months from now if this current pace does not change.

I am here to stay but with magic and religion having priority on guns and ranged combat i felt like this game will turn like Wurm when they implemented religion , it totally destroyed the game and created a very theme park feeling and destroyed the true sandbox feeling. Let us create the lore with proper tools, don't impose some shitty themepark elements like magic and religion. Implement content and skills and let us create the lore with item lore made by players , we should be able to write a description to items.

This game needs more functions like right click on items with an info box with condition, weight, quality, and any other stat. It should not only be visual ( rotten food, rusty knives, broken tools , etc) but it should also have an information box.

I just want this game to be balanced in terms of gameplay functions and events. We NEED natural disasters, migration, and lots of random scripted events. Depleted grass in the winter forcing players to stack up. I am not afraid of players not doing teamwork , i am affraid that this game never gets completed at all.

Hopefully you guys can see my point of view. I want this project more than anything because other games are PURE JUNK. Please do not let this project die . Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by aliksteel View Post

Im not sure how giving someone a few quests at the start to help them along is telling them what to do or holding their hands.

Instead of dropping them off on a blank paper of a world and saying here are some tools to make brushes, then you have to figure out how to make colours, then you have to figure out how to paint with those brushes and colours.
    You could say, here is a quest on how to make your first colour, here is a quest on how to use a tool, here is a quest on how to paint something small.

You tell people that the world is open for them to do anything in and dont tell lead them to do anything, you will find they will just do something else (not in game).