Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: patch today?

Who is bringing the cranberry for tomorrows thanksgiving?

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    I'm not sure why you even call it patch day.....you put out patches when they're done....which never seem to be on wednesdays.
    They should change it to "We could patch today but unlikely" =P

I've noticed that the maintenance sometimes only takes half an hour recently.

I would imagine this is very cool for the people who would like to play during that time.

I understood the Wednesday thing as a courtesy to customers, letting them know that Wednesdays might, MIGHT, be longer than other maintenance days, thereby allowing people to plan accordingly. I think it was named "patch day" around the same time maintenance was staggered to accommodate an international userbase.

I think denoting a day when maintenance might take longer was in the same spirit of accommodation. That would perhaps be the point to remember rather than getting too upset about nomenclature.

4. 05-11-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    I think denoting a day when maintenance might take longer was in the same spirit of accommodation. That would perhaps be the point to remember rather than getting too upset about nomenclature.
    How many patches have you seen on "patch-day" is the point =P

I agree with you, they meant it to be a planned day to try to have it on that day. Just funny how its not happening on that day.

I'm more than a little amused that people are expecting this small group of developers to knock out enough work to drop a patch every Wednesday. Developer Teams with hundreds of employees often go months without a patch...why is it different here? (other than people are understandably a bit impatient at the moment)

*Nothing* wrong with asking about a patch on Wednesday, but no need to get so worked up over it (imho).

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    I'm more than a little amused that people are expecting this small group of developers to knock out enough work to drop a patch every Wednesday. Developer Teams with hundreds of employees often go months without a patch...why is it different here? (other than people are understandably a bit impatient at the moment)

*Nothing* wrong with asking about a patch on Wednesday, but no need to get so worked up over it (imho).

Which game are you talking about goes months without patches? Just wondering.
    I look at games like Rift who patched like up to 20 times in one day!!!
    When something needed to be fixed they would patch it then, not wait months. I think the games you might be talking about are games that have been out for a while and dont need these major updates to keep it fun.
    Name some games where they had 100s and didnt patch in the first few months. Thanks.

it probably will not be very productive or helpful to turn this into a discussion about software development practices.

agreed. all the trolling and joking aside, there should be nothing wrong with asking "will there be a patch this wednesday?"

Nothing wrong with asking at all :P

Your opinion is wrong.

Xsyon isn't even close to a state where it can go along fine without patches. It should be patched AT LEAST once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhul_NS View Post
    Your opinion is wrong.

Xsyon isn't even close to a state where it can go along fine without patches. It should be patched AT LEAST once a week.
    It's impossible for an opinion to be wrong or right. Come on now it's not even logical to say that.

Maybe it's wrong in comparison to your opinion. But your opinion is probably wrong in comparison to mine. If you have ever coded before you know a handful of devs can't make major changes once per week.

Why do people continue to be so naive? It's the same thing if Blizzard was to release WoW in development stage...people would be QQing all over the place for updates.

But in Xsyon, that is part of the plan. The community feedback helps development quality and every game ends up with more quality if the devs listen to the feedback.

Think of it this way. He hasn't even done advertising for the game. Reputation isn't ruined because the game doesn't have a reputation yet. Maybe a tiny word of mouth reputation that doesn't matter once advertising starts.

You'd be a fool to think that if the close to 7 billion people on this earth ALL knew that Xsyon EXISTED, there wouldn't be 100s of thousands lining up to play the game EVEN RIGHT NOW WITH VERY LITTLE TO DO.

That's how good the game is. Many people who have been dying for a game like this just don't know about it..yet. They are trying to add some longetivity to the game before advertising though...so people don't just start playing and then quit when they realize it's just a crafter/building sim with meaningless FFA loot (ATM its meaningless)