Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mindtrigger View Post
    How is a gameplay split a foregone conclusion? EVE has never split, yet continues to grow and expand despite having a solid mix of every type of player you can think of on one single "server". Ask an EVE player what they like about it and after they tell you what they like doing they will tell you how interesting everyone is.

Even if additional servers are required due to having a high influx of players, and server technology that does not scale like EVE does, they could have made the servers all have the exact same rules. Even that would be better than fragmenting the different types of players, IMO.
    If Xsyon had the same setup as Eve I would agree with you. In Eve everyone has a choice to live and play in high sec space or in low sec. That would be the best solution for Xsyon too imo, a big PvP zone and a big safe zone...but seems like the devs prefer the 2 server idea. That is not perfect, but still better than forcing players to play the game in the way they don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Banok View Post
    I have to agree very much so with mindtrigger. Although its much harder to balance and technology wise, eve is the best way to do things: 1 giant server for everyone and a ruleset that caters to all styles and keeps the population heathly and interesting. all you need is areas of higher risk and reward and safe areas separate (I dont play eve but I gather this is how it works, used to be simular in runescapes old wilderness). anyway makes for much better pvp gameplay when there is an area in the game you know is dangerous and you KNOW you will get pvp and if you win you will get sweet rewards. unlike darkfall which is a pvp almost everywhere but no real hotspots, and you spend hours looking for pvp and get little reward from it.
    Bingo! It's a shame too few other people can see this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    If Xsyon had the same setup as Eve I would agree with you. In Eve everyone has a choice to live and play in high sec space or in low sec. That would be the best solution for Xsyon too imo, a big PvP zone and a big safe zone...but seems like the devs prefer the 2 server idea. That is not perfect, but still better than forcing players to play the game in the way they don't want to.
    Yeah, and the funny thing is that the safezone/non-safezone stuff would even fit in with the lore! The lore mentions angels and demons fighting for control, so it's not too much further to stretch the imagination that Angels managed to hold an area and make it safe.

You guys who keep referencing EVE might remember that it also has permanent safe zones. (I see someone making the same point as I'm posting this

I posted a bit back about always being able to have safe zones being part of an inclusive ruleset and ffa being part of an exclusive ruleset...and the ffa pvp crowd didn't want to hear it. They wanted an exclusive ffa-no-safe-zones ruleset.

Now they have thier exclusive ruleset, and it turns out that's not what they wanted, after all. (my opinion, of course, being that what they wanted was a ready supply of people to bully)

Irony, alive and well in Xsyon.

(And for the guy claiming that it's "carebears" doing all or most of the complaining in this thread...you're obviously reading a completely different thread than I am :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    Yeah I understand they might not be able to keep only 1 server, its too challenging technology/space wise. but still what we are against is splitting everyone in to 2 types of player and dumbing down the sandbox, instead of trying to balance it and keep it interesting.

if there has to be 2 servers it would be much better if they were EU and US, otherwise all the EU guys will be on the "peace" server anyway cause they will have 150 ping.

@Escargot above I dont think the people upset by this announcement are the same people always demanding no safe zones before. kind of a silly assumption.

I was fine with safe zones and them later on adding ability to "siege" (for lack of better word) totems.
    all the needed to do was make some areas of the world have much more rewarding features/resources BUT have safe zones disabled, and bam and everyone should be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Banok View Post
    Yeah I understand they might not be able to keep only 1 server, its too challenging technology/space wise. but still what we are against is splitting everyone in to 2 types of player and dumbing down the sandbox, instead of trying to balance it and keep it interesting.

if there has to be 2 servers it would be much better if they were EU and US, otherwise all the EU guys will be on the "peace" server anyway cause they will have 150 ping.

@Escargot above I dont think the people upset by this announcement are the same people always demanding no safe zones before. kind of a silly assumption.

I was fine with safe zones and them later on adding ability to "siege" (for lack of better word) totems.
    all the needed to do was make some areas of the world have much more rewarding features/resources BUT have safe zones disabled, and bam and everyone should be happy.
    After having played Eve and Darkfall, I can safely say that your thoughts on balancing are more balanced. There are just quite a bit of things that you can't get in the "safezones" of Eve. This is HIGHLY important because it encourages the trader types to play the game. It sets up regional markets. It improves the economy. The PvP community is constantly losing stuff, that is, items and equipment are leaving the game completely and not just swapping hands. This also improves the economy because it keeps crafters in constant demand. Which keeps explorers in demand. Which helps drive the war-engine to conquer new territories. Which means stuff is getting blown up. Which encourages the crafters. And so on and so forth.

Edit: I actually went off on a tangent here. Anyway, having safe areas also helps to keep the prices of goods down in safe areas, while driving the prices up (to make up for that extra cost of buisness) in non safe areas or in areas "off the beaten path." Again, this encourages other playing styles besides just the Crafter/harvester gankers and the crafter/harvesters. It encourages people to PvP other PvPers for territory, stalk traders and explorers, and spy out "known" trade routes, while also encouraging players to discover new trade routes and move away from camping all the cities.

I think a huge cause of all this commotion is simply the names given to the servers, complete opposites, which gives everyone these extreme ideas that War will be super hardcore and Peace will be full of a bunch of carebears.

It seems people are also mistaking "PvPers" for PKs/griefers, which are completely different things.

I personally consider myself a PvPer, it's a huge part of why I play games, but at the same time I'm completely against PKing/griefing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles_Prince View Post
    I think a huge cause of all this commotion is simply the names given to the servers, complete opposites, which gives everyone these extreme ideas that War will be super hardcore and Peace will be full of a bunch of carebears.

It seems people are also mistaking "PvPers" for PKs/griefers, which are completely different things.

I personally consider myself a PvPer, it's a huge part of why I play games, but at the same time I'm completely against PKing/griefing.
    Same I love to PvP, but I don't grief and kill people over and over (unless they are being mouthy). In fact a lot of times I'll tell them what they did wrong and what to better next time, if they stood and fought. Now I don't necessarily like fair fights, and what I mean by this is there is a certain thrill catching your prey unawares. I don't mean fishers/crafters by this, though they should know better than to let their guard down.

I mean if anybody has ever played demon souls and invaded somebody else's world knows the thrill of catching your opponent unawares, even a good duel when they fought back, or quite killing the phantoms before you kill the host (good times, many souls).

My point is just because somebody kills other players doesn't mean we're griefers. You will always need monsters and you will always need knights. The Evil PvPers are the monster and the Good PvPers are your heroes. Without light you can't have darkness and vice versa. The monsters make the game exciting. Don't want to be killed? Hire a knight.

Btw this is my thought process on why we need 1 server with everybody, not just me agreeing with charles lol.

Is it confirmed whether or not that on the Peace server, that safe zones will be removed after Prelude?

Or has it changed to the point that safe zones will now "forever" be active unless tribes specifically want to go to war?

If the former, then it seems a moot point to split two servers ( unless for performance reasons ) -- because all it means is that the Peace server will mimick the War server, only happen later in time.

If the latter, that seems to take a lot of the " spontaneous " tribal PvP that a lot of people/tribes were looking forward to. Always prefer one consistent world over multiple worlds, but eh.....nothing we can do about if its for performance / coding reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Saolite View Post
    Is it confirmed whether or not that on the Peace server, that safe zones will be removed after Prelude?

Or has it changed to the point that safe zones will now "forever" be active unless tribes specifically want to go to war?

If the former, then it seems a moot point to split two servers ( unless for performance reasons ) -- because all it means is that the Peace server will mimick the War server, only happen later in time.

If the latter, that seems to take a lot of the " spontaneous " tribal PvP that a lot of people/tribes were looking forward to. Always prefer one consistent world over multiple worlds, but eh.....nothing we can do about if its for performance / coding reasons.
    Peace will be the latter, but war will be the former except that safezones will be dropped as soon as we can defend ourselves(so like 1-2 months).

It's also not for coding reasons so much as the area around the lake is too crowded with people and tribes which scares off the animals into the mist, which apparently causes lag.