Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Implement a timer and you bias toward groups over individuals and fighters over crafters. Individuals and crafters cry 'foul!' One winner, one loser.

Implement a timer - especially on Day One - and a server crash causes the timer to reset, granting someone who was losing The Battle of the Clock a second chance. He seizes this chance and this time prevails over the guy who was three seconds away from winning, prior to 'circumstances beyond his control' costing him that victory. One winner, one loser. (And should the original guy who was three seconds away from winning convince the devs that he really and truly deserved the spot, and they give him the spot after all, the guy who won the second time will just shrug and smile and walk away. Right?)

The developers have chosen a compromise solution to a situation where there will inevitably be 'winners' and 'losers' and some of the 'losers' are not going to be happy.

Given the 'no-win' nature of this, the announced plan is as good as can be expected. If you don't get the best-est spot in the whole game this time around, who knows what opportunities await for the poor, huddled, land-less wretches in a few weeks when whole new tracts of unexplored land open up?

Let's just get it over with, please.

Another point: What about the people who can't be there on Day One or Day Two or however this is going to work? Surely it's all unfair to them. Right? What about the people who join the game on the 15th? If equality of result and making sure everyone is happy is the measure, what about them if they want a really good spot down by the Lake? What about the people who join the game next month? Or next Summer? Or next year?

What - if anything - do we do about all of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    Another point: What about the people who can't be there on Day One or Day Two or however this is going to work? Surely it's all unfair to them. Right? What about the people who join the game on the 15th? If equality of result and making sure everyone is happy is the measure, what about them if they want a really good spot down by the Lake? What about the people who join the game next month? Or next Summer? Or next year?

What - if anything - do we do about all of that?
    You're comparing apples & oranges now. We all know that not everyone is going to get everything they want in this land rush. Nobody is suggesting a scenario where we all get that. The issue at hand is this: for the people who are here during the initial land rush, do you want to a fighting chance at getting your land or do you want to relegate your fate to pure chance with no impact on the situation?

...do you want to a fighting chance at getting your land...
    As has been pointed out, the proposed plan gives people a 'fighting chance' - or at least one kind of equal chance. It's evidently just not the 'chance' you feel you have the best odds of winning.

...or do you want to relegate your fate to pure chance with no impact on the situation?
    What 'impact' do the people who can't be there on Day Two have? Or the people who join on the 15th? Or next month? Etc. It's not apples to oranges. It's the reason why your argument is flawed.

As has been pointed out, the proposed plan gives people a 'fighting chance' - or at least one kind of equal chance. It's evidently just not the 'chance' you feel you have the best odds of winning.
    No, the proposed plan only gives people a chance. They have no impact on who logs in first. There is no fight. They cannot affect who manages to get through the login server & load screens first. The land rush has, in essence, been reduced to a lottery. To me, this is a downgrade over having the opportunity to race to my spot & fight people along to way to slow their progress.

What 'impact' do the people who can't be there on Day Two have? Or the people who join on the 15th? Or next month? Etc. It's not apples to oranges. It's the reason why your argument is flawed..
    Those people have no impact & shouldn't. You're failing to grasp the concept that this debate only applies to people who are present. If people are not present, they wouldn't have a chance at the land in any scenario.

On a side note, here is another potential solution.

Enable combat immediately, but make it so you respawn at the nearest starting zone if you die. This will actually allow tribes to stake out a location & defend it properly.

Those people have no impact & shouldn't. You're failing to grasp the concept that this debate only applies to people who are present. If people are not present, they wouldn't have a chance at the land in any scenario.
    Why shouldn't they have an impact? That is; if the whole basis of your complaint is that people ought to have some impact over their fate?

You say the only way to make this fair is if you can run and gun and interfere with others' ability to beat you to your chosen site. What if, on Day One, you can't log in before I can? What if I want the same spot you want and I get a five minute head start on you? Or a day? Or a week? Or a month? How will granting you the ability to fight alter any of those advantages? 'You are not present' to contest my planting my totem.

I sympathize with your passion, but the simple fact is that your argument is fundamentally flawed. You're looking for a way to introduce and elevate the importance of combat in a situation where practical considerations beyond your control render combat a minor variable at best, and you're trying to justify your argument with a rationale that contradicts itself.

Why shouldn't they have an impact? That is; if the whole basis of your complaint is that people ought to have some impact over their fate?

You say the only way to make this fair is if you can run and gun and interfere with others' ability to beat you to your chosen site. What if, on Day One, you can't log in before I can? What if I want the same spot you want and I get a five minute head start on you? Or a day? Or a week? Or a month? How will granting you the ability to fight alter any of those advantages? 'You are not present' to contest my planting my totem.

I sympathize with your passion, but the simple fact is that your argument is fundamentally flawed. You're looking for a way to introduce and elevate the importance of combat in a situation where practical considerations beyond your control render combat a minor variable at best, and you're trying to justify your argument with a rationale that contradicts itself.
    Again, you're omitting the important caveat of being present. If you're not present for the start of the land rush or you log in late or the next day, that is your choice. You are choosing to give up your chance. Jordi will let us know when the server comes up before he does it so there will be time to prepare. If people want to impact their fate, they'll be there. If not, they have no basis to complain. The ability to fight for your spot ONLY matters if you show up on time. All other arguments about not being present at the time of launch don't factor into this discussion.

In any event, Virtus just confirmed that we'll have the 3 stage deployment & there will be no combat on the first two days. So, we are indeed all resigned to a random lottery with 2 days of crafting & koom-by-yah. Yippie.

Homesteaders can only impact a tribe's totem placement by the small area that the homestead takes up. The new rules won't prevent a tribe's totem from being placed by a homestead in the area. (I thought also that you could only place tribal totems on day 2? no homesteaders on that day right?)

By increasing the number to 10 members, this should limit the number of tribal totems placed. Its not a great solution, but I don't think its as bad as folks are saying.

We all have to live with the fact that there will be no true tribal warfare for some time. We need to live with that. Such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Homesteaders can only impact a tribe's totem placement by the small area that the homestead takes up. The new rules won't prevent a tribe's totem from being placed by a homestead in the area. (I thought also that you could only place tribal totems on day 2? no homesteaders on that day right?)

By increasing the number to 10 members, this should limit the number of tribal totems placed. Its not a great solution, but I don't think its as bad as folks are saying.
    Remember, there are the new "clan" totems with 5 members, too. It's griefers that band up into clans or tribes that will be the problem, not homesteaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post

We all have to live with the fact that there will be no true tribal warfare for some time. We need to live with that. Such is life.
    Sorry to burst your bubble but homesteaders CAN place totems on the 2nd day Everyone can

3) The final wipe and land rush will proceed in a controlled manner.

On the day of the final wipe, players will be able to enter the game and form their tribe charters, but not claim any land. This will allow tribes to form their groups and find their locations and then log on.

On the second day, players will be able to claim land, but terraforming will be turned off and combat will not be allowed on the Peace server. This will allow players to claim their lands without entire tribes being online, and once totems are placed, players can log off to reduce stress on the servers.

On the third day, everything will be turned on as normal and game play can begin.

I think it is totally fair and the OP is being dramatic.. The way it is set up not all of your tribe has to be on contributing to the lag so you have a better chance of getting your spot. Sorry it isn't a 100% guarantee Tribes , I know you like being catered to. But a smart tribe leader will have thought it through and have more than one dream spot.