Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

why dont we start with great skills stats?

Ok why dont we all start as expert engineers etc? i might have been a master woodcrafter before the apocolypse, so why can't i choose to start as master in one of the skills?

It's almost like i have forgot what skills i used to have before the event!
    I know we start of with a basic knowledge, but thats only the type of skills that human being would just already know...you know the basic survival skills!

from the lore and story on the main website, most knowledge has been forgotten

You know nothing. You’ve forgotten the past and have yet to learn the future. You are a lost soul in a strange barren world with little more than the shirt on your back.

The way it reads was the war was long ago, and we were children, our forefathers may have retained the knowledge and skills but we were merely waifs, and scavenged to survive, now we must learn to build, and grow

Quote Originally Posted by Phayz View Post
    from the lore and story on the main website, most knowledge has been forgotten

You know nothing. You’ve forgotten the past and have yet to learn the future. You are a lost soul in a strange barren world with little more than the shirt on your back.
    I apologise for baiting here...but that was the answer i was waiting for.

So really at release every person who plays the game should be alone! they cant have a selective memory can they? you know the ones that forget all thier skills etc, but somehow seem to remember that they have nine other members of a tribe with them and also remember where thier home town is, so have a divine right to it.

Sorry for starting yet another tribe v homesteader thread up lol, just wanted to know what people thought of the argument when they considered the lore of the game.

To me the lore of the game is important and not just an afterthought. The lore of the game is the origonal vision of the game.

Just so we dont get confused by the way....I am a tribal member that still thinks homesteaders should start the same time as all of us and with the ability to place a totem too.
    Phayz...i am a member of the same tribe

argg.. bait and switch.

As for your alone theory, what about the possibility of the post war kids who make friends on the junk pile while scavenging for food, and deciding to join together for safety and comfort

And I also agree with the fact everyone should start at the same time

Well. . it is a game. In every other game people join guilds etc. without meeting in game by chance first. I actually had planned to play that way though. . start out solo. . see who is around and join up with whoever I liked most. That is what I have done in most games unless I transfered with a guild.

For guilds that transfered over there is no reason to think that they could not have met "before" the day that is represented by "launch". Now I would have loved it if there was no beta and everyone started the game somewhere randomly and there was no IM programs or e-mail or phones so that friends could not co-ordinate. . then they would have to meet the folks around them and decide how to get along even if they didn't like them ala Survivor. . . we could ask everyone to do that on the honour system and see what happens. Even when UO launched I was already in a guild from beta. . although they are so gross now

Now back to your intention. . there are a lot of threads on this already. You apologize for baiting yet continue and apologize for creating "yet another" thread like this.

Oh wait your thread was about skills and stats. Not cool but I bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethaeryn View Post
    Well. . it is a game. In every other game people join guilds etc. without meeting in game by chance first. I actually had planned to play that way though. . start out solo. . see who is around and join up with whoever I liked most. That is what I have done in most games unless I transfered with a guild.

For guilds that transfered over there is no reason to think that they could not have met "before" the day that is represented by "launch". Now I would have loved it if there was no beta and everyone started the game somewhere randomly and there was no IM programs or e-mail or phones so that friends could not co-ordinate. . then they would have to meet the folks around them and decide how to get along even if they didn't like them ala Survivor. . . we could ask everyone to do that on the honour system and see what happens. Even when UO launched I was already in a guild from beta. . although they are so gross now

Now back to your intention. . there are a lot of threads on this already. You apologize for baiting yet continue and apologize for creating "yet another" thread like this.

Oh wait your thread was about skills and stats. Not cool but I bit.
    haha yes i apologised due to the touchy nature of the subject but wanted to hear a different side to the same argument neverless. Thank you for adding a decent twist to my argument.

Yes your right, the launch date does not necessarily mean the actual day after. And your right people could have formed these tribes before they set out to find thier own land. Maybe its me taking the post war a little bit too literal in my thinking that we are all alone to start!

Well I do think if it was possible to have a game launch were there were no online resources or maps. . no way to communicate outside of the game. . people would get that feeling back we all seem to be looking for. It is too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by shukes View Post
    Ok why dont we all start as expert engineers etc? i might have been a master woodcrafter before the apocolypse, so why can't i choose to start as master in one of the skills?

It's almost like i have forgot what skills i used to have before the event!
    I know we start of with a basic knowledge, but thats only the type of skills that human being would just already know...you know the basic survival skills!
    You do start as advanced crafter in one skill, the one that you picked during character creation. You already have 25 points in that skill and you know a number of recipes.

Do you want to start as advanced crafter in every craft?

Quote Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
    You do start as advanced crafter in one skill, the one that you picked during character creation. You already have 25 points in that skill and you know a number of recipes.

Do you want to start as advanced crafter in every craft?
    I think you misread the intention of my post friend

It was meant to start a different agnled discussion over the whole who starts with what conversation.
    But in anser to your question....no i would prefer if we all started at skill level 1 in every skill, even totem making i prefer to do things the difficult way to be honest. i hate anything in games that makes mechainics easier...like headstarts for tribes!

Hey heres an idea!
    Let tribes have thier headstarts to get thier favoured patch of land, but give the solo player immunity to pvp untill they are allowed to plant thier totems...that way they are not left vulnerable to losing everything before they have chance to start!

Had anyone thought of the fact that by not allowing homesteaders to plant at the start...they are also left very vulnerable to lose everything they own, as they have no place to set up home.