Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsyon View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have been following this conversation and appreciate all the feedback so far.

Development may seem slow at times but we are working as hard as we possibly can. We're a very small team. Most of us typically work more than 10 hours per day, seven days per week. When one of us has a problem, illness or injury to deal with (and this has plagued us many times this past year), it has a noticeable effect. Still, we've come a very long way since launch and I'm proud of what our small team has accomplished.

Since launch we've had to balance our progress between stabilizing and optimizing the server and client, improving graphics, fixing bugs, improving current systems, adding new features and making changes based on players suggestions. One thing players don't readily notice is the amount of work that we've done improving the server and back end data storage systems. These have been vastly improved since launch and pave the way for current and future improvements.

Some of our changes have gone well and others have taken more time than planned or failed to produce the desired results. This is expected with an ever-changing game and development schedule.

Moving forward I agree with many of the comments here. The game needs longer lasting entertainment in the form of more meaning, danger and sense of struggle to survive. This needs to happen with us first continuing to revise and improve the current systems and providing more tools for players to interact and entertain each other, which is the basis of the Xsyon world.

Please check the main announcements thread for our current plans.

Thanks!
    I do not doubt you guys work over 60-70 hours a week. In fact, if people cannot applaud the hard work of the devs, then I don't know what they can applaud.

I just think a lot of the fluff development should have be put on the back burner, and you should have focused on core systems the entire time.

That way at least new development would impact game play, and you would receive more recognition for your development.

The game surely has come a long way since launch. It's just that it was released so extremely under developed at release, that people don't realize all the changes that have been implemented

With all that said, I still think you should focus purely on the core gameplay. Just think about this. Why work on carts for 3 months, if there isn't even any reason to trade yet?

-Fish aren't rare (imo they should be much harder to catch in this apocalyptic environment, because they are going extinct or whatever works with apocalyptic lore), they can't spoil, and it's not like we need them or we die and encur death penalties.

-It's not like armor is needed to mitigate damage (armor mitigation needs slight buffs relative to the stamina use that comes from the heavy bone armor). Although for a noob, bone armor may make the difference between life and death. But if there was MORE threat of death, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH faster decay from armor and weapons, then tailors/leathercraft/bonecraft/weaponcrafters would instantly have a lot more value.

-Make the gap between noob and veteran much smaller. I think this can be done with skill decay though. It will solve a bunch of "balance issues" (IE, mob A is too easy, or, mob A is too hard. you will never be able to balance it properly for everyone with such a huge hitpoints difference from noob to max level (about 30 hp as a noob, and 300+hp at max level)

-We don't NEED granite to build walls (or any resource that builds a barrier mind you)

-etc, etc, etc, I'm sure you can think of many more things that have no use to be traded.

IMO you and the team should have a meeting and decide what utility each item or skill has in terms of survival. I notice that just about everything can be massively improved upon, in terms of adding more realistic apocalyptic survival.

I think carts are a great addition. I am not about to poo-poo carts. Well done devs. I think there is a reason for carts. They aren't just for trade. I see the uses quite clearly for myself. I could care less about these neo-apolcalyptic-capitalism ideals. Please don't listen to these "regulated scarcity" arguments I keep seeing. Some of us like that we can do everything and that the world is abundant.

Now I would love to have cooking, animal taming, and all of the other buttons and gauges working too! I don't see these as "new" features, I see them as MISSING features at present. Gaping holes in the game that need to be fixed ASAP.

And don't forget the "silent minority." There really aren't that many of this talking in this thread. I think one of the biggest mistakes that can be made is for those with the largest post count or most active accounts to be taken the most seriously. Some of us like this game just as much, if not more than they do.

Quote Originally Posted by HyBrasil View Post
    I think carts are a great addition. I am not about to poo-poo carts. Well done devs. I think there is a reason for carts. They aren't just for trade. I see the uses quite clearly for myself. I could care less about these neo-apolcalyptic-capitalism ideals. Please don't listen to these "regulated scarcity" arguments I keep seeing. Some of us like that we can do everything and that the world is abundant.

Now I would love to have cooking, animal taming, and all of the other buttons and gauges working too! I don't see these as "new" features, I see them as MISSING features at present. Gaping holes in the game that need to be fixed ASAP.

And don't forget the "silent minority." There really aren't that many of this talking in this thread. I think one of the biggest mistakes that can be made is for those with the largest post count or most active accounts to be taken the most seriously. Some of us like this game just as much, if not more than they do.

You mean some of the people left playing? So of the 1000s of people that have bought the game. Some of the ones left playing which are less than 100, like that you have a lot of everything. Wow good come back there. Totally a reason to keep it in game.

Resources are a huge problem with this game. Carts not able to be used for trade is pretty sad at best.

Travel in the game is horrid, trade is about zero. Adding more people will not fix either of these. Nor will it fix the resources as how resources are done.

glad i just read all this, was gonna retry the game but i can see that would be a really bad idear, it really does sadden me to see a game i had so high
    hopes for sinking slowly but surely down to nothing.
    just the insanly low amount of players is mind blowing to me, guess i was ignorant when i thought the game would do a "comeback" sigh...
    just reading and seing how much of a "fuzz" carts are making, i mean wtf? carts?? yere i can see they are awesome for transport etc and so forth, but why use em for transport and trade when there isnt any trade? why transport stuff to build walls with when walls are useless?
    why make carts now???? dont get it there is SO much that needs to be done and then they do carts..
    just as weid as when AV added their funhulks to darkfall... to me it just seems like an attempt at adding something exiting to try and keep players playing, to me that just indicates that the ship is sinking and fast...

i know alot of people will go rage blahlbslagl on me or my post will be deleted or something, but i had hoped just as much as anyone else that this game would succede, and dont pull that "your used to being handed everything" shit, have bought and played more or less all games with any hint of sandboxines in them since the start of uo, and from having seen and loved all those sandboxes you also just start to recognise when thing start going downhill whitout any hint at going up again, yet im 100% sure now that when all comes to all it will sink, sadly but surely.

this thread ended well after say xsyons and macs post and here comes ddt and crew to throw it down the hole and fighting like a rabid dog when he thinks his opinion or one of his crews isn't taken like gods given word ....

we can do without the negativity there's other people in the community asides you ddt with opinions just as important.

lemme get this straight, you all bitch n moan n groan and everytime he does wat ya friggin ask, ya flip it around and say it shouldnt be done? WTH! This is why the devs need to ignore the community now and go with their PLAN, and stop listening to you all. For a long time u all wanted carts and raised hell overem even u norcal and ddt, but now ur saying why did he do them ? You all asked him too. Geesh, ingreatful people.

I don't think a decay system will ever close the gap and I honestly don't see a gap atm.

I come from Wurm a game that had caps and removed them as it did nothing to close any gap and it actually was keeping players away from the game. Here is why and it was the reason a lot of people quit playing because the game became a chore and wasn't fun. I and other people would log in to the game and notice this skill or that skill had decayed and I would spend hours trying to get my skill back to original levels then after that I would have at best a hour or two of game play of what I wanted to do, which everything required so much time to do so, I didn't get to do much of anything.

After weeks, months, and over a year of this and arguments on the forum regarding how the game was becoming a second job Rolf finally removed skill decay. No great apocalypse happened in fact people actually got to work on the things they liked instead of worrying about barely playing during the week and wasting a whole weekend fighting skill decay. If the game becomes a chore where you must spend all your free play time combating skill decay or coming off of vacation or a extended break with a massive loss to skill I think it will be more hurtful to bringing in players than closing a imaginary gap that doesn't exist.

All that is required is for skills to be made harder to level up and require a longer grind which will balance out everyone having all skills. If it takes a few months to level a skill then it will balance out in the end result. You will have people come and go and you'll have those who will always complain about a gap as they want easy mode and those people will never sit and grind their skills and scream for skill resets.

Quote Originally Posted by xmechna View Post
    this thread ended well after say xsyons and macs post and here comes ddt and crew to throw it down the hole and fighting like a rabid dog when he thinks his opinion or one of his crews isn't taken like gods given word ....

we can do without the negativity there's other people in the community asides you ddt with opinions just as important.
    Why don't you focus on giving something of subtance instead of bashing DDT because it is the popular thing to do.

"DDT and crew" have said all along the same things this thread is discussing.

You can say it's about the game not being known (aka no adverts push yet) all you want, but the fact of the matter is this game has only managed to keep less than 10% of the people who bought the game interested for more than 3 months. It's probably closer to 5%.

No MMO with that rate of "turnover" has ever lasted very long.

However, the situation with Xsyon may be different. Perhaps expenses are extremely low and they can keep the game running for a very long time with low revenues. That would be great, because like we all know, the game has potential. It just needs time to play out, I guess.

Or more developers.

Still, I think it is more about WHAT they have been developing more so than HOW MUCH they have developed since launch, that is causing all the complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy21007 View Post
    lemme get this straight, you all bitch n moan n groan and everytime he does wat ya friggin ask, ya flip it around and say it shouldnt be done? WTH! This is why the devs need to ignore the community now and go with their PLAN, and stop listening to you all. For a long time u all wanted carts and raised hell overem even u norcal and ddt, but now ur saying why did he do them ? You all asked him too. Geesh, ingreatful people.
    Of course carts are necessary FOR TRADE TO BE PRACTICAL.

That doesn't mean the items that we are trading actually have any use or need to be traded for. People shouldn't trade simply for efficiency. They should trade because they CANNOT get the item themselves.

Everything in this game you can get yourself (especially tribes, even small tribes), see my point? I think Xsyon sees the point and is going to do his best to fix it (IE, massively increasing item decay, as well as adding skill decay among other things, i hope).

Of course carts will be great for gatherers. It's just that what need is there for anything we gather?

Granite to make walls that aren't needed for protection?
    Fish that has no need to be eaten except more efficient crafting (intensify this IMO, make hunger/thirst effect fail chance by a lot more than currently)
    Lumber to make tools that aren't needed for anything but to make other gear/items that have no real need?

I think the bottom line is that this game isn't a group sandbox, it is an individual sandbox. It feels like a single player game with other players that happen to be in the world, but have zero impact on how you play the game.

Real sandboxes aren't like this, IE little kids always mess up each others sand castles while playing in the sandbox, IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy21007 View Post

Did I miss the post where I'm saying I dont want carts? I'm saying carts not useable for trade is just really sad. The main reason to have carts is to promote trade. Not haul stuff 10 feet in game.

Yes carts need to be in game, but having them not useable for trade or worthwhile for trade is a major problem and make them almost worthless.

xmechna,

You are just trying to troll here. Because we all know there are others here, which is why we are posting. Also when they agree with me then they are "my crew" and you are trying to discount them. How many PM's do you get saying "Keep up the good work" about your posts?
    I get them all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I don't think a decay system will ever close the gap and I honestly don't see a gap atm.

I come from Wurm a game that had caps and removed them as it did nothing to close any gap and it actually was keeping players away from the game. Here is why and it was the reason a lot of people quit playing because the game became a chore and wasn't fun. I and other people would log in to the game and notice this skill or that skill had decayed and I would spend hours trying to get my skill back to original levels then after that I would have at best a hour or two of game play of what I wanted to do, which everything required so much time to do so, I didn't get to do much of anything.

After weeks, months, and over a year of this and arguments on the forum regarding how the game was becoming a second job Rolf finally removed skill decay. No great apocalypse happened in fact people actually got to work on the things they liked instead of worrying about barely playing during the week and wasting a whole weekend fighting skill decay. If the game becomes a chore where you must spend all your free play time combating skill decay or coming off of vacation or a extended break with a massive loss to skill I think it will be more hurtful to bringing in players than closing a imaginary gap that doesn't exist.

All that is required is for skills to be made harder to level up and require a longer grind which will balance out everyone having all skills. If it takes a few months to level a skill then it will balance out in the end result. You will have people come and go and you'll have those who will always complain about a gap as they want easy mode and those people will never sit and grind their skills and scream for skill resets.

I think no skill decay is just as bad as huge amounts of skill decay.

There is a happy medium, I dont think wurms option of making it take years to level up a craft is a good one, as new players tend to quit because they cant do anything to help catch up.

The words "longer grind" isnt good for me, even though everyone here knows I can grind out with the best of them.

What I rather see is close the gap but make the last bit take longer and be effective. Meaning, you can get to 90 in a few weeks, but 90 to 100 takes months or years. The last 10 points sets you aside as that is your main focus. If you change to someone else 90 to 100, you will lose the first one. (Or some balance of # of 90 to 100 skills you can have).

You can say you spend your free time combating skill decay, however, thats only if there is decay over time not decay on train other skills. If you dont have decaying skills over time, and only when training OTHER skills there is no "combating skill decay" at all. You wont have any skill decay. Now if you choose to do many different things yes you will have skill decay if you try to make them all 100s.

Why don't you focus on giving something of subtance instead of bashing DDT because it is the popular thing to do.
    i'm not bashing ddt because it is the popular thing to do, i am bashing ddt because he is a never ending source of negativity on the forums and his current post was proof.

You are just trying to troll here. Because we all know there are others here, which is why we are posting. Also when they agree with me then they are "my crew" and you are trying to discount them. How many PM's do you get saying "Keep up the good work" about your posts?
    I get them all the time

i'm not saying "your crew" just because its another person that agrees with you they also sport your guild/tribe banner thats why im callin them your crew. on a side note i don't need a pat on the back for me to validate my own opinions.

personaly if i was trying to troll i would have added a your moma joke.