Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    But the game can't grow indefinitly. Eventually there will be hardware limitations preventing the game world from being able to get any bigger. What do you do once that point is reached? What happens once there are no more resources for crafters to use? What happens when everbodies' tools and equipment break and there is nothing left to replace them?
    The same thing that happens with all mmos. New servers. The best thing you could hope for, for Xsyon, would be these problems to arise in the future. Resource depletion and rarity is the catalyst for open pvp and tribal warfare in a sandbox game. If not for resources, what will we be fighting for? I also suggested an option to counter all out depletion of scraps for a tribe. And to point out another topic I think you are very familiar with, Trade. If everyone has everything they are ever going to need as far as resources, why bother trading?

having resources fully deplete would kill the game. just have them slowly regenerate over time and change locations

Quote Originally Posted by Tybalt View Post
    So as to Trenix's comment about it limiting resources, that is just a very flawed logic or the lack of his reading comprehension.
    So everyone will be migrating to the new areas, abandoning their towns and tribes? What will be left with the old areas, newbs? How is that not a flawed logic and also what does this have to do with my reading comprehension? Are all people who counter you considered illiterate?

My point is that adding realism to a resource that already depletes and has no natural replenishment makes no difference in over all game play.
    The game is in beta, of course it doesn't make any difference at the moment.

Asking for resources that don't deplete, why not just ask for a big bin loaded with an unlimited amount of presorted materials in it. That way, we don't have to look for any resources anymore. Also with not having to worry about resources anymore, we don't need other people to gather things for us so we can just go ahead and remove the tribe thing. And while we are at it, might as well remove open pvp, there is no need to fight over territory anymore with the lack of tribes and no need for resources. And without the pvp there is really no need for walls, might as well take them out too.
    Now you're just blowing things out of proportion. We're not asking for the removal of depletion in resources, we're asking for temporary depletions. Until of course, they regenerate.

The same thing that happens with all mmos. New servers. The best thing you could hope for, for Xsyon, would be these problems to arise in the future. Resource depletion and rarity is the catalyst for open pvp and tribal warfare in a sandbox game. If not for resources, what will we be fighting for? I also suggested an option to counter all out depletion of scraps for a tribe. And to point out another topic I think you are very familiar with, Trade. If everyone has everything they are ever going to need as far as resources, why bother trading?
    With resources being diminished, how would there be any form of progression? You also don't like newbs very much, do you?

I feel the need to explain my point of view on this subject just a little more.

So far I have notice that some of you feel that with the full depletion of scrap piles there will also come the full halt of crafting.
    It would take a very long time to fully deplete the available scrap piles we have now.
    once those are gone, it would not mean the death of crafting but the birth of new crafts. All those resources were made by someone.
    It was stated that we will progress through technological stages. Why would you not think we would ever be able to make a bolt, screw or nail? Why could we not make cloth? It would be a great new ability to maybe add to a tailor. We could then have cotton farmers to supply us with the materials needed. The loss of scrap piles would bring about the need for countless new crafts and abilities.

You guys have been thinking about this all wrong. Where you see Ruin, I see Opportunity.

I hope this sheds some light on my point of view.

about scrap piles disappearing:

Every item you drop does not get removed from game, instead it goes into a "trash pile Database table" for that area as the "trash pile Database table" builds up a in game trash pile will appear for that sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtus View Post
    about scrap piles disappearing:

Every item you drop does not get removed from game, instead it goes into a "trash pile Database table" for that area as the "trash pile Database table" builds up a in game trash pile will appear for that sector.
    Does that include the tearing down of structures?

no idea, i just remember that blurb from awhile back when talking to jooky. Whether or not its active now, idk.

By drop do you mean destroy?
    Do the items dropped determine what can be scavenged from the newly created junk pile?
    Does this mean that each area has a finite of each item to be found?

So let say i find 100 nails, and i only use 50. The other 50 i delete from my backpack, so those 50 goes back into junk pile? Hmm. Nice and smart idea how to manage things. But it should not work the same way for logs/trees. Because its a different kind of resource. If i delete a log, it should not then grow a new tree lol.

You know what's a nice little bit of information? The features list!!!

Resources

Players rely heavily on natural and found resources: lumber from trees, leather from animals, grass, scrap materials and rare objects of the lost modern civilization.

Constantly changing resources can be renewed or depleted.
    Availability dependent on season and weather conditions.
    Resources can be claimed by tribes.
    A large variety of resources with individual properties. Different woods, cloths and metals have properties that affect crafted items.
    Scavenged items such as books can introduce knowledge of new crafts and skills.
    It's been there for so long yet no one seems to read it

As for completely depleting rescources, you can always have some "event" that replenishes them somehow like a meteor shower or a distant explosion that rains down debris or something that fits into your "lore".

Either way rescource scarcity is going to be the main source of fighting so rescources need to be slim unless you just wanna have crafterville where there is no conflict and everyone crafts all day long.