View Poll Results: What should Xsyon do with basketry?

Voters
187. You may not vote on this poll
  • Remove it

21 11.23%
  • Redefine it

47 25.13%
  • Leave it alone

119 63.64%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Remove Basketry

Personally, I think ever major craft should really have a container recipes. Tailoring has basketweaving. Woodcraft has boxes and crates. Metalworking has tins, etc. Leather has backpacks and canvas containers. I mean, it does seem odd to me that we store wood in grass containers... when we could easily store them in boxes... made of wood.

Guy's This is the begining of Xsyon Just hold up a bit. I'm sure in time as we evolve metal containers wood etc.. will be available but right now basketry fits in where it needs to be. I Personally Don't think he plans on making it where only basketry is the only conatiner in game. You have to follow the story line he has laid out. Let's see you want to skip the begining skip the middle and go right to the end? Well if we skip it all might as well just skip to where game closes! Is this what you'll want?

He has this planned out and you'll are trying to super jump way ahead of plans. Just chill enjoy whats in and wait for the rest in the future of xsyon. I think you'll are so use to other mmo's you are forgetting this isn't them this is xsyon and it has it's own story. It's own start and it's own progression. This being said hope I in some way helped you understand a bit more.

Good things come to those who wait.

Baskets are made by Basket-Weavers QED. Basketry should however be combined with Pottery to ensure Master Crafter Basketeers.

I think Basketry should be Weaving. Making a "Grass plate" is not basketry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dothackking View Post
    I like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dothackking View Post
    Umm actually, grass type armor, made with the techniques used in basketry have been done in history. And Basketry is the correct term for what they have in the craft in game now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketry

Weaving is mostly for cloth fibers, and instead of making baskets and hard plates or such we would be making rugs.

I feel that basketry is one of the more unique crafting skills when comparing to other games, so why remove something that helps differentiate the game?

I do feel however according to reply #104 that there should be more to basketry than grass, such as using twigs, thread, animal hair, wood etc to get more use/variation out of this crafting skill.

I like basketry for numerous reasons I don't care to go into detail here...

However imo other crafts should also be able to make containers to some degree - with more expensive materials definitely.

Imo basketry has its place as a skill that uses the most common material in the game. It's a fall-back skill when you're having hard times or just beginning the game. Imho other crafts' containers should be more durable or just plain pretty but leave basketry alone for us poor folks!

Quote Originally Posted by markusan View Post
    I feel that basketry is one of the more unique crafting skills when comparing to other games, so why remove something that helps differentiate the game?

I do feel however according to reply #104 that there should be more to basketry than grass, such as using twigs, thread, animal hair, wood etc to get more use/variation out of this crafting skill.
    Yeah I was wondering that too, why they limited basketry to just grass when it really does consist of many other types of plant based materials. Twigs for instance is already a gatherable rescourse in game which could easily be used in this craft line. I could see ritan type shields being something adaptable later on from basketry. And with animal taming coming in, nothing says we can't see horsehair being another material for weaving.

It would be great to have some basketry items which aren't green too, I mean most grass doesn't stay green for long after its cut and dried for use in weaving.

Has anyone seen any buildings yet that use caning in them? Ritan wall and grass thatch roof huts have been around in tribal history all over the world. I'm not sure why there isnt' more of it in game now, its a staple of primative building.

Quote Originally Posted by river111 View Post
    Yeah I was wondering that too, why they limited basketry to just grass when it really does consist of many other types of plant based materials. Twigs for instance is already a gatherable rescourse in game which could easily be used in this craft line. I could see ritan type shields being something adaptable later on from basketry. And with animal taming coming in, nothing says we can't see horsehair being another material for weaving.

It would be great to have some basketry items which aren't green too, I mean most grass doesn't stay green for long after its cut and dried for use in weaving.

Has anyone seen any buildings yet that use caning in them? Ritan wall and grass thatch roof huts have been around in tribal history all over the world. I'm not sure why there isnt' more of it in game now, its a staple of primative building.

Hm if you could use twigs and small branches later on you could also corral animals with the basketry skill, at least in theory. A fast, not overly durable fence for those just starting out who want to raise livestock could make basketry very useful.