Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More Junk!

Well I'm sure this is because certain areas are overcrowded while other areas have no player population at all. There seem to be entire zones void of junk... why bother settling there?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorakin View Post
    Well I'm sure this is because certain areas are overcrowded while other areas have no player population at all. There seem to be entire zones void of junk... why bother settling there?
    Funny you should ask. Junk is simply a stop gap for large density groups (tribes) to get started. As you may know, xsyon will be removing junk piles after prelude. We have a scavenge skill right now that does the same thing as the junk pile. Learn it and train it up. In the future it will be one of the few ways (or the only way) to get what used to be in the junk pile.

That said, training it now liberates you from the junk pile addiction. Why bother settling where there's no junk? Because soon that will be your only choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    ... We have a scavenge skill right now that does the same thing as the junk pile. ...
    Sorry, but I believe that's not correct, scavenging gives you other items (and by far less items) than pulling stuff out of the junkpile gives you.

As toolcrafter, leatherworker, bonecrafter, tailor, weaponcrafter or architect you can practically craft or build nothing without a junk pile, no matter how high your scavenge skill is.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
    Sorry, but I believe that's not correct, scavenging gives you other items (and by far less items) than pulling stuff out of the junkpile gives you.

As toolcrafter, leatherworker, bonecrafter, tailor, weaponcrafter or architect you can practically craft or build nothing without a junk pile, no matter how high your scavenge skill is.
    Not correct. Scavanging will find you stuff outside of junkpiles only much less frequent finds. Pipes, nails, bones, leather... everything. Only 20x less often, maybe even worse odds.

The good thing is... there's options. I will probably utilize junk piles during the prelude. However, I won't neglect my scavenging skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    Not correct. Scavanging will find you stuff outside of junkpiles only much less frequent finds. Pipes, nails, bones, leather... everything. Only 20x less often, maybe even worse odds.
    scavenging also finds them, in some cases, in much greater quantity.

like gathering and sorting metal might yield a nail or 3 amongst a bunch of other stuff.
    scavenging, on the other hand, may yield 30 or 40 nails (and nothing else) in a successful attempt.

Nice to know, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post

like gathering and sorting metal might yield a nail or 3 amongst a bunch of other stuff.
    scavenging, on the other hand, may yield 30 or 40 nails (and nothing else) in a successful attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsa View Post

errr, leatherworker and bonecrafter can't make anything without junkpiles ? so what do you do with the leather and bones u get from animals ... u keep them in a pretty little pile in your tent to sleep on or something ??

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post

^^ This ^^

make a new character, specialize in scavenging. Go out there and run the skill about every 5 steps, in about an hour I'll be finding items from the junk pile in in quantity of about 15-20. The junk pile is a useless thing and not worth fighting over for small groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsarugii View Post
    errr, leatherworker and bonecrafter can't make anything without junkpiles ? so what do you do with the leather and bones u get from animals ... u keep them in a pretty little pile in your tent to sleep on or something ??

Larsa means to be able to make leather clothes or bone armor you might need things that only come from junk piles.