I'm a new player, so naturally I don't have much experience whit hunting or skills to fight high level creatures yet.
Nevertheless, here's my opinion.

They seem to age too slow. However since nearly all the bigger animals (bear, deer, coyote) were born at the same time, the situation might look different in a few weeks when they have grown up. Perhaps the "near instinction breading" could also trigger a "rapid growth" to faster bring the population back up

Speed: Are creatures too fast or too slow?
Too fast.
It's very difficult for new players to find something to hunt. The only thing I seem to be able to hunt reliably, are chickens. Everything else, is either too strong or too fast.

I would suggest a few of the small creatures, like hamsters and rats, have their speed reduced.
That would give people a place to start and work their way up without making it too easy.

The mid level creatures should have their speed reduced to be more equal a player in armour and carrying some weight, as it would be in a typical hunting situation.
The largest creatures could be made a bit faster (harder) or stay as they are.

Behaviour: Are creatures too aggressive or too passive?
Animals run away to much.
It's fine that some of the small animals, like squirrels run, that makes the world feel alive, but many of the stronger mid level creatures, like all the ~280 hp chaos hares don't have to run. Perhaps they could be made less likely to run, but still not aggressive unless attacked, then they would either fight back or run.
For the stronger ones, like bears and deer's, from what I have seen so far they run too, but most of them are still babies whit 100 - 120 hp, so if they are just running now because they are small that's fine. But of course a 300 - 400 hp bear should run towards you, rather than away.

I have also noticed that many of the animal babies seem to stay close to where they have spawned and stay together in packs. This is fine for now when they are small, but I hope they will start spreading out and migrating Southwards as soon as they becomes a bit stronger. If not, then the problem will still be a lifeless South.

HP: Do creatures have too much or too little health?
Some of the small creatures have too much health. There should be a few creatures whit low health for new players to hunt. perhaps 1/3 the hp of a typical new player. That would be a challenge, but not deadly.
The rest of the creatures seem fine, there's a good range of hp's If the speed and aggressiveness gets improved, I don't think this need to be changed.

Power: Are creatures too strong or too weak? Do they hit too hard?
Most creatures seem to hit very hard.
I'm a new player whit 74 hp, and if I'm able to find something like a Pine Martin or Hamster whit 50 - 60 hp to fight, I still need to be both lucky and careful or I will end up dead. Anything above 60 hp, is more or less suicide.

Healing have already been mentioned by others, and that is a big problem right now. Perhaps a temporal solution, could be to increase the healing rate of a resting character ?

Another issue is armour. There seem to be very little knowledge about how armour actually works ( but many theories )
If we as players had more information, we could better protect ourselves and the creature strength would be less of an issue.

Also most of the bone crafting recipes got names that imply you need deer or bear bones to make them ( I haven't got these recipes, so I might be wrong )

If some of the low level sets could use more generic bones from creatures you as a new hunter/crafter "should" be hunting. It would make progressing more natural when you can hunt and craft your way into better and better materials and add more value to trading these parts.
It would also take some focus away from the high end creatures, those should be for the high level hunters and hunting parties.